Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, we try and sneak in as much skiing as we can on the second Sat, weather depending.
If it's good, we stay till 3-4pm then head North. If it's looking grim, we leave early and either go home in one, or find somewhere nice to eat.
(Well at least that's the thinking. Can't remember the last time we didn't stay the full day Laughing )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aosta valley. We drive Sunday back in one hit. It is an epic but quiet roads as not the normal change over day. Kids are getting older so should cope with late back early next morning to school. It'll be me and the wife that are hanging a bit!

Will get insurance for the rest of the family sorted and then book ski hire poss lift passes if they're covered and there's a deal.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lemond wrote:
Nice to read that I am not the only one doing the Dover-Calais ferry on Friday night (storms allowing) and then drive through the night.

We are leaving from East Midlands on Friday 14th and headed to St Foy and hope to be there before 1200 on the 15th. 2 adults sharing driving and 3 kids in the back. Last time we were caught in jams between Chambery & BSM. It took almost 6 hours for that stretch!

Will be too exhausted to ski on Saturday but will sort out kit hire, passes and then collapse early for a good rest before the fun starts.

If I was brave enough to incur the wrath of the school I would leave on Friday morning and overnight in Dijon or thereabouts. But I'm not.

Seeing as the schools have kept our children out of school for two terms whilst denying it is doing them any long term damage, I think you'd be perfectly justified to take them out a day early. Just tell the school you will be accessing the "high quality" online learning!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I am of the same opinion - they've put up with enough for 2 years taking them out of school for 1 day will have no material impact compared to that but will be v beneficial for them overall to have some fun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone thought about if there’s any complexity going through Jura Switzerland GSB tunnel into Italy?

Did this two years ago and missed what sounded like some massive queues on A40 between Geneva and chamonix.

Does the complexity of a 3rd country’s entry forms and test requirements negate this I wonder ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sommesous section autoroute petrol stations closed

FYI 30.1.22 Southbound today on the Autoroute des Anglais: 4 of the petrol stations around the Sommesous section were shut. The signage implied it wasn't temporary. So check the overhead gantry info signs - they tell you how far to the next petrol stations before the last one ahead of the gap.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 31-01-22 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah that’s useful to know.

Air D’urvilles - Paul’s.....mmmm....crunch crunch crunch yum yum yum
Air chautauvillain - Paul’s ...mmmm...crunch crunch crunch yum yum yum
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep I reckon there is 100kms without an open motorway petrol station , nearly caught me out last week .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/automotive/fuel-containers/explosafe-fuel-containers/f/44065

I now have a 5l can which gives me about 50 miles peace of mind
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:

Correct. Followed by pizza at the baker in Besancon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies to double posting from another thread but as this is dedicated to the driving down crowd it may get an answer:

we're hoping to drive to Italy via France then return a week later. I understand the rules for the way out (and the fact it's looking like we probably need a second lot of 4 tests to get into Italy after our overnight in France as we'll not get to the Italy border within 24hrs rolling eyes

But on the return leg, though, do we need to have done another 24 hr LFT for passing from Italy back into France? So in total the family of 4 will need 12 tests for the holiday!?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In relation to that last point if people think we probably do need LFTs for re-entry back to France, for the day's driving home, then I can always order them, but only use them if requested at the border?

If not used then there's the option sell those un-used ones onto friends maybe?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the way back, are you not entering France from a green country (Italy), so you don't need a test if vaccinated?
Disclaimer, I am not 100% sure, but here is where I'd start looking, and check 2.2, which seems to say you don't need a test for arrivals from EU member state.

Also, if you did buy the tests just before you go, then you ought to be able to refund within 14 days if not used?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel

From the tab on green list countries :

Quote:
2.2. Health control measures
If you are already vaccinated, you shall present proof of your vaccination status and a sworn statement certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19. A negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 48 hours old is required, except for arrivals from a Member State of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Holy See or Switzerland.

So I read no test required to re-enter from an EU country (or Switzerland or Andorra where you may pass through France to get to for Skiing).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eurotunnel Stuff.

So I've added API to our booking ready for Feb HT. It now wants me to add Health Declaration for each passenger.

Adults no problem. I tick we are fully vaccinated and it then just wants us to upload :
- sworn statement
- negative test (which will be in the 24 hours before departure)
- and proof of vax - though weirdly looks like I have to screen print or get a hard copy of the QR code, scan it and upload it?

Children though it asks the same question. If I tick no to vaxxed, which the children aren't (one has had one the other is 11 and had none) it then wants us to upload the test result (in the 24 hours to departure), the sworn statement but lastly a "Prefectoral order of Quarantine / Personal Details Form EOS". However children travelling with vaxxed parents don't need to quarantine and "The measures applied to vaccinated adults are extended under the same conditions to their accompanying minors, whether vaccinated or not." , so they shouldn't need the quarantine form. The alternative is to tick yes to vaxxed (since the measures extended to accompanying minors) but then the Eurotunnel website wants me to upload vaccination proof. So it makes no sense.

There is an option to tick Yes to "Is this passenger exempt from declaring documents". If tick yes and put the reason as Age, which seems logical it then removes the ability to add the negative test result and the sworn statement, the first needed by over 12s and the later by all passengers regardless of age I think.

Has anyone worked through this yet ???

Cheers

G
snow report
Gazzza wrote:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel

From the tab on green list countries :

Quote:
If you are already vaccinated, you shall present proof of your vaccination status and a sworn statement certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19. A negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 48 hours old is required, except for arrivals from a Member State of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Holy See or Switzerland.

So I read no test required to re-enter from an EU country (or Switzerland or Andorra where you may pass through France to get to for Skiing).

You need to make sure that you click on the tab "TRAVEL TO/FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM" on the far right"
Quote:
2.1 Movement regulations
If you are vaccinated, you are not subject to the compelling reasons regime to enter metropolitan territory.

If you are not vaccinated, you are subject to the compelling reasons regime. The indicative list of compelling reasons can be found on the certificate of entry into metropolitan territory which can be downloaded below.

Marriage in France constitutes an imperative reason, allowing entry into the territory within the framework of the sanitary measures in force. It is up to the third-country national to check whether he must apply for a visa to enter France in this context. To this end, the applicant may request the issuance of a short-stay visa, or a long-stay visa, if he can also claim it for one of the reasons and under the conditions provided for in Articles L. 312. -2 to L. 312-4 of the code on the entry and stay of foreigners and the right of asylum. It is up to him to check on the France visa website external link the type of visa corresponding to his situation.
You may be subject to screening upon arrival.

If you are vaccinated, you must present proof of vaccination status and a declaration of honor attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19. You must present to the transport company and to the border control authorities a negative PCR or antigen test dating less than 24 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in the event of a connecting trip).
Since January 30, 2022, in order to continue to be considered as fully vaccinated, persons aged eighteen and one month or over wishing to enter the national territory must have received a dose of complementary messenger RNA vaccine no later than 9 months following the injection of the last required dose.
If you are not vaccinated, you must present to the transport company and to the border control authorities a negative PCR or antigen test dated less than 24 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in case of travel with correspondence). Children under the age of twelve are exempt from testing.
You will systematically be subject to a quarantine or isolation measure which will be pronounced by prefectural decree on your arrival in mainland France for a period of ten days, which will be accompanied by a restriction on the times for leaving the place of isolation ( except in the case of transit in an international zone).
You will also need to present:

a declaration of honor attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19;
a commitment on the honor to undergo the antigen test or the biological examination which will be carried out on arrival in mainland France;
For unvaccinated travelers, a pledge of honor to isolate yourself for ten days and to undergo a virological biological screening (PCR) at the end of the isolation period (see below).
Unvaccinated travelers from the United Kingdom are required to register, prior to their trip, on a digital platform allowing in particular to enter the address of their stay in France: https://passager.serveureos.org/ external link

This platform makes it possible to generate prefectural orders fixing the obligation of isolation in the place of their choice for unvaccinated travelers.
snow report
Timc wrote:
You need to make sure that you click on the tab "TRAVEL TO/FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM" on the far right"

For the crossing from UK to France and return crossing France to UK then yes.

But for entering France from an EU country or Switzerland or Andorra it is the Travel To/From a Green list country Tab.
ie. after a holiday in Switzerland, when I enter France from Switzerland I am travelling from Switzerland to France so the Travel/To From Green tab is relevant to that border crossing/entry. The same would apply to those entering from Italy.

The very good and regularly updated Crystal document on requirements also seems to concur, looking at travelling to Andorra via TLS airport. No test needed to renter France to get your flight from TLS. (just may need to show pass vacinnal or pass sanitaire for 12-15 y.o.)
snow report
@Gazzza, We have similar situation.

Both my kids under 12 so exempt from everything apart from requirement to supply sworn statement. However, when I select exempt from vaccine due to age all option to upload disappear when the option for sworn statement should remain and if I select not unvaccinated which they are (but also exempt) the system wants the sworn statement and EOS which certainly isn't correct as they do not need to isolate.

I think I'll have to leave exempt due to age, not upload sworn statement and just take the paper copy with me.

We had a bit of a faff as booked through TO and the way to enter API is different webpage to a direct booking no idea why but we didn't know that so sat on hold for 15 minutes unnecessary call traffic for the tunnel call centre.

Still 2 weeks until we leave but uploaded NHS vaccine pass as the 30 days on that runs to 28th and we come back 26th so trying to get some admin out the way first.
latest report
@James77 and any one else in same boat, I just logged back into the Tunnel booking in prep for Saturday's journey and they seem to have now updated and corrected the Health Declaration part of the site, so the 12+ year old now only needs to upload the Sworn Statement and -ve Test result, and the under 11 year old only the Sworn Statement. They've removed the incorrect requirement for the Quarantine/EOS form. So it looks like they can now be correctly uploaded in advance.
snow report
Laughing
valais2 wrote:

Laughing Quite right too - we plan our entire journey and stops based on which aires have a Paul's Very Happy
snow conditions
@Loganberry, Oooh - sounds like a nice adventure. Are those the only 2 Air's en route to Alps (my journey is Calais to Tignes)? Don't fancy coming off autoroute to go find one.
snow conditions
Are there any parking time limits in the Aires ? Can I kip for a few hours and not get a parking ticket like UK ?
snow conditions
Kettonskimum1971, lots of Aires with Paul's.
https://www.aires-autoroute-areas.com/nos-enseignes/restauration-rapide/paul

PBJ, no parking time limits, as far as i know.
https://www.wandering-bird.com/french-aires/
snow report
I’ve accumulated the following list from our various trips mainly to the Tarentaise but also towards Morzine (that’ll be the one at the Big Chicken which we call Paul World - we get inordinately excited about that stop… and equally disappointed when it was closed in lockdown day return home Eh oh! )

Urvillers A26
Poulet en Bresse A39 (Paul World!)
Chateauvillain Orges A5 nr Chaumont
Macon st albain A6
Gevrey-Chambertin
Aire de St Ambreuil A6
snow report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
@Loganberry, Oooh - sounds like a nice adventure. Are those the only 2 Air's en route to Alps (my journey is Calais to Tignes)? Don't fancy coming off autoroute to go find one.

My list will be perfect for the Tignes run (we usually stay at Sainte Foy)
Very Happy
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

ive never understood this driving through the night thing, are you not just knackered all day next dat & even into the next.

Just as I've never understood this stopping at a hotel for the night on the way thing. Overnight you get very light traffic, you get to the resort first thing in the morning and 2 extra days skiing (33% more). OK we have 2 drivers and alternate - one drives, one sleeps. And our son still sleeps the whole way.

Do you live down south JE?

For us, over one third of the 950 mile trip is spent in the UK, so we really need to kip somewhere on the way.
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, not sure where John lives. Durham adds an extra 3 hours from where I live. Would that force me to do an overnight stay... mmm, not sure.

We've done overnight stays or holiday extensions on occasion - always on the return - a few times but usually because of other factors.

As per the two comments above - a lot of it is personal preference.
latest report
Not so much these covid times but I’ve driven nationwide all my life and doing both ways in one overnight hit feels too extreme. And that's coming from the midlands not the NE. We overnight on the way there and then in one go through the day coming home with me doing about 3/4 driving and mrs MHS doing a stint up to Calais.

So looking like there may be snow around second half of next week which is good……and possibly bad!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 10-02-22 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just loading up , pick up from school at 12pm , straight to shuttle , hopefully in the flat by 1.30am early tomorrow morning , good luck to those travelling Friday and Sat .
snow conditions
@Rob Mackley, this is where I really do envy you southerner's, i dont think I would ever been in a plane again if I could do it door to door in 12 hours by car.
ski holidays
Yeah ditto, the thought of doing 7-8hrs to the tunnel and then more on the other side does not appeal. But then again a couple of hours up the road we can be rained on and slide around on heather and ice, no comparison !
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

ive never understood this driving through the night thing, are you not just knackered all day next dat & even into the next.

Just as I've never understood this stopping at a hotel for the night on the way thing. Overnight you get very light traffic, you get to the resort first thing in the morning and 2 extra days skiing (33% more). OK we have 2 drivers and alternate - one drives, one sleeps. And our son still sleeps the whole way.

For us, over one third of the 950 mile trip is spent in the UK, so we really need to kip somewhere on the way.

Absolutely, even with two drivers. The UK part is the issue here. I would indeed be knackered with an overnight drive and then another almost full day. And after a long 8 hour day at work on our feet, it just wasn't feasible to then jump in the car and drive overnight.
ski holidays
Safe travelling, all - and remember to keep us posted when you are en route! Very Happy
snow report
I always find the UK leg the hardest, our roads are so crowded. At least in France all you have to look out for are the Belgian 's
snow conditions
Anyone concerned about Eurotunnel queues for Friday afternoon? We are very fortunate that we are picking up our girls from school at lunchtime, and we live in Kent (!) so should be at the tunnel around 1400-1430. We have prem plus tickets, and I contacted Eurotunnel about extra train services. As Friday is a peak day, they are moving up from 1 train an hour to 3 trains an hour. My concern is whether the UK and French passport people will triple their staff or not, and with all of the extra checks on test certs etc., that it could be a zoo.

As an aside, we always stop on the way down, as it's part of the holiday. Find a decent hotel with a good restaurant, break up the journey, and have the first croissant in the morning. We are stopping in Reims tomorrow.
snow conditions
Quote:

At least in France all you have to look out for are the Belgian 's

This Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Yes - Birmingham. For us it is only 800 miles to Les Arcs, but importantly only 1/4 of that is in the UK. This constiutes 3/4 of the hassle of the drive. It is important that we leave at a time to skip the worst of the M25.

I have to confess that recently I have been staying overnight at a friend's house in Ashfor before crosssing over. We spend the evening with him and get to Les Arcs before the pizzaria closes the next day. On the way back we tend to leave Les Arcs about 10 - to 11 and get home sometime around midnight or 1 the next morning. One's wife and one sleep in the car very easily, though usually not while at the wheel!

The luxury of being mainly retired and not having to bother with Sat to Sat holidays. But when we worked full time the overnight drive was always the preferred option.

ps I used to live in Burnhope - that slog down to the deep south is not unknown to me.
snow report
@MHskier, @Jonny996,

Yep asked my Dutch friends about Belgic driving , they said always been awful and only introduced driving test late last century and even then it’s relatively easy , how much of that is true I don’t know but the Dutch have the same opinion .

Good journeys
snow conditions
0630 P&O tomorrow morning for us - Straight to club lounge for new breakfast arrangements.
Refuel Troyes, should be in Bourg St M and in Chez Roger about 6PM!
Strangely, feels a bit exciting not having done it for a couple of years!
ski holidays
Tunnel is running like a dream today .
Check-in to earlier train 15mins .
Could be on for record door to door time tonight
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy