Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I may drive if I cannot make it over Christmas. Can someone help me understand Le shurrle tickets. I’m confused because the “standard” ticket states it is valid for a year. Doesn’t that make it a flexi?..turn up and board?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. As I understand it, you have to make a booking, and that booking will determine the price you pay. You can change your booking (within certain time constraints) and if your new booking is more expensive, you pay the difference. And you can do that up to a year from purchase. But I'm sure all that information is on the website....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
No. As I understand it, you have to make a booking, and that booking will determine the price you pay. You can change your booking (within certain time constraints) and if your new booking is more expensive, you pay the difference. And you can do that up to a year from purchase. But I'm sure all that information is on the website....

Thank you. That makes sense. I could not find a clear explanation on the website.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tom H wrote:
Hi, I may drive if I cannot make it over Christmas. Can someone help me understand Le shurrle tickets. I’m confused because the “standard” ticket states it is valid for a year. Doesn’t that make it a flexi?..turn up and board?

The great advantage of buying a flexiplus ticket is you can go whenever you want so if plans change you dont have to pay to alter your booking, last year due to lockdown we left three weeks early, rolled up at calais and on the next train. Downside is the cost
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've rescheduled our standard Eurotunnel tickets a number of times. As mentioned, you either pay nothing, or the extra between the price of your original slot and the one that you want. It's limited to the new slot you want being available. Flexiplus is attractive of course, if you think that the hefty premium is worth it. We never paid more than 20% extra even at short notice, but then we never travel at peak times anyway.

FYI Eurotunnel tells you not to turn up more than 2 hours early. The two times we've done this it's not been a problem, and we've just gone straight onto the next train. But again, this hasn't been in peak periods (although one was on a 'Busy Day' according to the website).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 6-12-20 0:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robs1 wrote:
Tom H wrote:

The great advantage of buying a flexiplus ticket is you can go whenever you want so if plans change you dont have to pay to alter your booking, last year due to lockdown we left three weeks early, rolled up at calais and on the next train. Downside is the cost

I suppose if ever there was a time to buy flexiplus it’s now. It’s odd just checking the price of the flexi I got £229 and £259 for the following day. What stops me buying the cheaper day and turning up the day after?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just amended my crossing Christmas > Easter. As pam says they charged you the difference in cost. In my case just under £15. Main thing is the ticket has to be used within 12 months - so in my case my as my original booking was June 8th that was the limit of my amendment.

Personally I think the price of Flexi is nuts. But clearly enough people pay it so what do I know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:

Personally I think the price of Flexi is nuts. But clearly enough people pay it so what do I know.

Yep and more often than not as an ordinary punter we get waved straight through. (Although we don't travel at 'peak peak'.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rarely had to wait long, and rarely had to pay much to change a booking. Never travelled at peak though. We did once have a major detour round obscure suburbs of Paris to pick up daughter who was at a conference, and feeling very ill. So we got to Eurotunnel some hours after our booking and the machine proposed to charge us a LOT of money. So I phoned and explained to an actual person who reduced the charge dramatically. My own experience of Eurotunnel, over many years of travel several times a year, was always good - but clearly they have capacity problems at times.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only ever use Flexi once, in the 16 years we have been doing the journey, as like a lot of others, we could never justify the premium. It was last Xmas. The plan was our normal, collect from school and go! Did not count on teen phone drama, that warranted a trip to Carphone Warehouse. We arrived past the leeway period and the next available crossing was 2am. I no longer drive through the night and we had already 'checked-in' to the hotel rolling eyes . Opted to pay the price hike to Flexi - filled as many bags of goodies as we could and got a crossing within 40 mins.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, I agree,but we ended up having no choice in March but to pay it, as it was the only ticket we could book. This was the day we were told to return home by the UK government and France went into lockdown. We were surprised to be almost the only ones travelling, but grateful for the bag of food and drink we were handed, as we hadn't been able to even buy breakfast on our journey. Expensive sandwiches though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have any of the regular February Half Termers amended their booking to Easter or considering options? February is looking tight at the moment, the stars may align and it could be a great week but it is a risk.

Considering the first Easter week so kids can isolate the second if we're still required to and perhaps more likely ski resorts would be open. The flip side to that is they open for February and close in March is cases creep up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had to buy flexi one year as we only booked in January for Feb half term so only flexi tickets left but another time we were able to ring en-route knowing we were significantly more than 2 hours early and were able to amend the booking by about £30, MUCH cheaper!

@James77, we're still being optimistic for Feb half term but also plan going over Easter if the SFaB happens this season but have not booked any travel for that yet. Holding off booking en-route accom for either at the moment though, although I am going to try and bust our boys out of school early to get further south on the Friday / allow for any brexit issues.

Oh hell, reminds me, must renew passports as I fall foul of the 6 month rule for Feb and one of the boys does for Easter!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The ft is reporting you wont be able to travel to europe until it lifts covid restrictions on 3rd party states like USA etc after Jan1st.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Forget it https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/uk-holidaymakers-could-be-barred-from-visiting-eu-under-covid-safety-rules

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 10-12-20 9:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wow, that certainly calls time on any possibility of a ski season this winter for UK residents and any other sort of holiday in the EU until around next summer at the earliest perhaps. Of course this is the media and very difficult to know what to believe but what is certain is there will be strict restrictions that make it very difficult for most in the UK I suspect.
snow report
Well, we knew all this already and I think the journalist is conflating Covid conditions with post-Brexit status. You can't currently go to France or Switzerland anyway, because (a) the UK Government prohibits unnecessary trips abroad and (b) it would be very hard to get travel insurance (especially if you're over-60 like me) and (c) for France, you can't travel internally. And whatever, you'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks on returning. Switzerland currently allows UK visitors entry without restriction. but that' not a lot of use if you're not meant to leave the UK and can't get travel insurance. What the landscape will be in 2021 is speculative. Partly because of covid and partly because we know almost nothing about the actual consequences of ceasing to be EU citizens, in terms of travel and residence. We left the EU on 1.1.20 and were given a year of status quo extension to sort all this out. Yet here we are, still with the same uncertainty.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 10-12-20 15:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Except for the fact the government "advise" against unnecessary travel to france and I hot my travel.insurance from mpi yesterday no trouble at all and was 5 quid cheaper than last year, although it is for three weeks less time and obviously excludes covid treatment but every other thing is covered
latest report
robs1 wrote:
... and obviously excludes covid treatment ...

Yes, but isn't covid treatment exactly what everyone wants cover for? I can go anywhere if I self-insure for covid but sadly, I don't have the funds to deal with a worst case outcome - you'll be fine if you travel out before 1.1.21 but after that there's no EHIC, and you'd have no insurance cover for prolonged ICU and recuperation.
ski holidays
If you have a valid EHIC card, it will remain valid until it expires. As luck would have it, mine is valid until Oct 2024. Not that I fancy my chances trying to explain that to a continental provincial hospital administrator.
ski holidays
sasha320 wrote:
If you have a valid EHIC card, it will remain valid until it expires. As luck would have it, mine is valid until Oct 2024. Not that I fancy my chances trying to explain that to a continental provincial hospital administrator.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972
snow report
This year's "Feb Half Term Drive ChitChat" thread seems a bit quiet?

I'm looking to pack up within the next couple of hours and then jump in the car. I recon I can last the whole night without sleeping. Early morning, arrive on my own driveway and then I'll go into the Chalet (house) and see if I can cadge a cooked breakfast or Pan au Chocolat while the chalet maid (wife) changes the beds.

Anyone else?
ski holidays
As usual taken the kids out friday , we caught the shuttle yesterday evening , stopped of for the night in Reims now at super U BsM , before going up to the Flat , Wife’s sisters and family will arrive in tine for dinner from Lausanne . Just starting to snow a little and expecting a powder day whilst all of you lot are stuck in the traffic !

Only bit of that is true , is yes it’s starting to snow . We will recreating the start of half term hols with a drink with the sister in laws family via Zoom from Lausanne tonight and might get pissed with our Ste Foy neighbours later in the week .
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
Only bit of that is true .
We were overweight for our biz jet from Biggen . We phoned the school and they came and picked up mini bb and took him back to school so we could depart. Flight to GVA went to schedule with the helicopters waiting and ready to take us up to Zermatt. Mrs BB has now decided its too cold so looks like Monaco tomorrow.
snow report
Laughing
ski holidays
Loaded car. Collected son from school. Drove to Eurotunnel. Put in queue. Called to booth. Now nicked and on way to jail Laughing
ski holidays
Just got to the UK side of the tunnel. Picked kids up straight from school - forgot they would be bringing their Art Projects home today, so had to load a Macaroni sculpture of the Colosseum into the car, at least we'll have pasta for the bolognaise defrosting in the footwell tomorrow. Journey down uneventful, now in queue with 72 lorries of spoiled seafood waiting for permission to cross.
snow conditions
Thank goodness my daughter is no longer going to school, we are doing on-line skiing this time. Much cheaper even half term week...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@harrim51, Is that the snow equivalent of in-line skating? Very Happy
ski holidays
@MorningGory,
Nice
latest report
Well the traffic into the French alps is pretty real this evening

snow conditions
La Saison Blanche Crying or Very sad
latest report
presumably all you "virtual" self drivers this year, are preparing for your "virtual" return home today Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
You can view the lock down traffic jams here https://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/webcams.htm
snow conditions
Love all these virtual HT-trip posts, British humour at its best Laughing
snow report
In light of the much overdue news yesterday (all going to plan) February HT we'll be back in Flaine for the final time as we've done it more than once, staying in Le Panoramic.

Plan is about 0700 tunnel on Friday 18th and overnight at Bourg-En-Bresse.
The country appears to be split into 2 separate weeks for HT we're the second which I believe worked out better value on the tunnel we always go FlexiPlus as I can't be bothered to queue.

Interested to hear what other folks plans are?

Also if anyone is in Flaine from 19th February and wants to meet at the White Bar Pub a beer I'd welcome the company I tend to toddle off and have a couple on my own rather than drag wife and kids along.
snow conditions
Yep we're back on for our drive to Italy at HT. Still need to get Junior to his 2nd Vacc on the 27th and also not test positive in the 24/48 hrs before!

Does holiday insurance typically cover you against late covid cancellation costs in that situation?

Tunnel mid day Friday - overnight below Troyes - Mt Blanc tunnel. Did Jura - G St Bernard Tunnel last time two years ago and avoided bad queues on the A40 but not sure I can cope with a set of 3rd country regs and tests.

Just decided that the front winter tyres need replacing as slipping out of junctions in the wet now so not going to risk having lots of snow (hopefully) to deal with with minimal tread. Also emailed ATMB to get them to check my account and tag.
EXCITED MOI?!
snow report
@MHskier, Where are you going in Italy? Considering slipping over the border myself next year as a change.
I have LV= policy and sure it covers cancellation in that situation.
snow report
5 weeks and counting. Whoop!
We're second week also, heading off to Alpe D'Huez, staying in Villard-Reculas
Tunnel 10ish Friday, then down to Grenoble, heading up into resort first thing Saturday morning.
Leaving the following Sat pm, back up to Troyes.
Midday tunnel Sunday, then back to pick up pooch and home again around 4pm.
snow conditions
@wibble44, We drive home in a single day it's a long one but usually home around 10pm leaving about 9am which means we have the Sunday to relax works for us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy