Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin wrote:
jonwilton wrote:
... any suggestions for making the drive more tolerable and persuading the family it’s still the best plan.??
Thanks
... Get a Telepeage tag also through Eurotunnel website Leave on Friday stay overnight at BB Hotel in France (where depends on departure time.) Coming back leave resort as early as you can stand! But certainly before 06:00 to get through Moutier before the masses!
Yep. all the above!
Press on as far as you possibly can on the Friday because it will pay off on the Saturday! Early start Saturday to arrive in resort asap pickup skis, passes and hit the (emptyish) slopes.
Can also ski on the final Saturday, leave later, miss the worst of the traffic and overnight in a hotel on the way back to arrive home Sunday. 8 days skiing. Cool snowHead

charrison wrote:
Personally I'd only consider Haute-Savoie region for drive from Calais at half term. Resorts around 1 hour closer, and the A40 jams perhaps slightly less bad than Albertville bottleneck.
I know what you mean, but with a bit of planning to miss the Chambery-Albertville-Moutiers bottlenecks on the Saturday, Tarentaise is ok at half term.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin. It's hideously expensive but also fantastic. On our way home last Saturday we pitched up a full day before we were due to travel (in school holidays) the Saturday evening rather than Sunday we sailed through past the hundreds or parked cars, filled up on food, boarded the first train ate on board and were back in the UK in less than an hour.

But at the same time you can get really cheap (or virtually free) crossings with things like Tesco points, caravan club etc. and I'm £400 lighter than I perhaps needed to be so different strokes for different folks I suppose. Wait an hour or so and save a bunch of £ Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We use start rescue. They were good value. My only gripe was the hire car they supplied was a fiat 500l for 4 of us with full luggage, skis, bedding etc. It was only my son's expertise with Tetris that got it all in.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had similar experience after the clutch on our car gave up on a roundabout in Aosta. We had car full of stuff being taken to son's apartment in Genoa - a big car, quite full, and had to squeeze it into a much smaller hired replacement.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick whinge at Eurotunnel via their conplaints link on Twitter while sitting on a delayed train last Sunday and I've been sent a 30 quid credit for our next booking so that'll go towards next Feb HT. I had to travel for work via Eurostar on Monday evening and that was utterly painless by comparison - got from St P to Rotterdam in the same time it took to get the 40 miles from the A16 turn off to Folkestone 24 hours previously!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Merde... 91 in a 90.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Merde... 91 in a 90.

How long after the event did that come through?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Waiting for me today, so a Week and a bit. Reckon it was a mobile jobber sniping the traffic queue. Ho hum.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 4-03-20 21:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So much for the 5% tolerance then...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
endoman wrote:
So much for the 5% tolerance then...
weeeeell, full disclosure, 96 in a 90,they took the 5 off so 91... Where's me debit carte...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Out of interest, how much is the fine?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
€45 and no points - given @Richard_Sideways, saddo wife here costed our half term trip to ~£725 per head all in, another few quid isn't going to blow the budget too much!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a spreadsheet...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
always29 wrote:
€45 and no points - given @Richard_Sideways, saddo wife here costed our half term trip to ~£725 per head all in, another few quid isn't going to blow the budget too much!

£725 a head is better than I managed I'm at c£900 (kids in ski lessons if that makes a difference), also Eurotunnel Flexiplus. Wonder if I can get the cost down a little next year?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are at £800 a head with kids in ski lessons.
(Although may go you as I’m sure I got a speeding fine)
That includes food (self catering but some lunches out), accommodation, list passes, ski hire , travel, hotels on way down, and eurotunnel (not flexi)
Not bad for half term!
We were in Italy.
snow report
Go up. Typo!
snow report
@Snowysarah, you can edit your post using the little scissors icon to the right.
ski holidays
Aha! You learn something new every day...
snow report
@James77, the main reason it was so bizarrely cheap was the accommodation at under €700 for the week - we booked it via the local tourist office back in September. While it wasn't the most luxurious, it was absolutely fine for us - bunks in hallway for boys (age 10 & 8 ), a sliding door area double bed area off the living room (and just enough space to walk round), kitchenette, decent size dining area, settee, separate loo and bathroom. Bonus was it was also a ground floor apartment so kids were able to play outside when they wanted too.

While it was close to the lift up, it was some distance from the main town so we didn't eat out in the evenings at all - used the supplied fondue pot and had a bash at making a fondue one night too which was the only specific eating out request! We also have all our own kit (the kids have skis AND board each plus relevant boots) so no hire costs and they did lessons in the afternoon (by accident rather than design, the morning ones were fully booked) which were cheaper. Lift passes were very cheap too at €732 for the family pass. Our car is quite economical at around 50mpg and we didn't have a roofbox. All these little things on top of the cheap accommodation soon add up. That and staying in "Premiere" Classe on the way down which I will try and avoid next time - for the family bash at Easter we've got a nice new Ibis budget for much less!
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, did you drive to Italy?

I've been wondering whether the resorts of the Aosta valley are doable by car (thinking about next season already)
snow report
tomj wrote:
@Snowysarah, did you drive to Italy?

I've been wondering whether the resorts of the Aosta valley are doable by car (thinking about next season already)

If you go via the mnt blance tunnel the aosta valley is only a couple of hours longer than chamonix, including the wait at the tunnel which if you time it right you can avoid, it would be no longer than driving to say val cenis/ serre chevalier in france
snow report
Yes!
We did it over two days, breaking overnight and went via Mont Blanc tunnel. Would do again.
So much quieter and cheaper than France.
Did get a speeding fine for drive down though. Bet I’ll get one for drive back too!
snow conditions
Cool, sounds do-able. We usually break the journey down to the Alpes anyway, so will look at a journey plan.

I'm sold on Italy for the better cooking and coffee! Having done most of my skiing in the 3V, its definitely time for a change. Maybe we should persuade @admin to run an Italian Family Bash!
snow report
1e espresso on the mountain!! A real highlight.
Champoluc was 9 hours drive (without stops) from Calais
latest report
@tomj if you look back on this thread at my posts you'll see the various bits of advice I got and the options I considered.

We had a fantastic trip to just outside Aosta for half term week. Overnight ferry to Caen (the one thing I'd probably swap as it left a v long day driving next day.) Arrived airbnb via switzerland and GSB tunnel. Decision to use that tunnel rather than MBT was based partly on the return MBT ticket expiring before we returned (>7days Vs 30 days) and the potential for a long wait there Sat evening. Glad we did go via switzerland and GSB tunnel after hearing stories of huge delayed journeys around Geneva A40 that day.

We visited 5 different ski resorts and the MB Skyway on the Aosta Valley ski pass, plus Courmayeur/Aosta town- all of which which we all really enjoyed.

Agree with above posts regarding value. I just loved not getting ripped off - coffee, beer, pizza, evening meals all great reasonable value. Prompted by above I've checked the toll doofer account and worked out the fuel cost and we just snuck in under £750 pp all-in apart from food and drink. No ski lessons.

Journey back went very smoothly. Just eurotunnel was problematic as ever on peak days.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-03-20 10:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I just copped a speeding ticket in the post too. 77kph in a 70! €45 fine.
snow conditions
Do you think there are more cameras/police man on the slower sections?
I was definitely doing over on the motorway every now and again without realising!
latest report
Got a 45 euro fine through this morning for 108 in a 90 near Dunkirk.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gosh that’s a lag isn’t it. I was hoping I was out of the woods!
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, I got a speeding ticket from Italian Police 8-months after it happened!
snow conditions
Yes I did it from Italy last year as well!
But the French one was a week after!
ski holidays
Speeding ticket come through. 45 euro for 108 in a 90 near Dunkirk. Oops
ski holidays
We have just had a speeding ticket from 18 January near Zell am See, 58 kms in 50 kms limit, €40.
ski holidays
Put it through the shredder... in over 20 years of doing this I have never been prosecuted!
ski holidays
Really? From which country? Do they not log your number plate for when you go again?
latest report
Germany, France, Austria ... I have never had a problem. The fine is never served properly just a letter and with a 6 month to 2 year statute of limitation or whatever they call it it soon passes. I was always waiting to be stopped and questioned but that has never happened. I have a few excuses lined up. Also, if you change your car they don't track the name for minor offences. I learnt to do this from a UK copper that said that is what all the Europeans do so why not us. After a second reminder there is nothing. The most imporant thing is to remain outside their official system so by never replying they never have a handle on you. That's why when travelling in France always carry at least 200€ in cash to pay the Gendarmes in their unoffical book! Laughing
latest report
Just be careful of overnight drives.
I once fell asleep on French motorway in the early hours - something I'm not proud of. I was woken up by the rumble strips going into the back of a lorry at 100 mph
Even if you don't fall asleep, tired driving has many of the effects of drink driving.

French motorways are very quite, smooth and long, often with little stimulus like town lights etc going by. Much easier to nod off on than Uk roads
snow conditions
Some light reading about previous snowy events on the roads at Christmas and Half term... Couldn't find the really bad half term where people driving were put up in sports halls etc.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115242
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2841092
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3144971
snow report
+1 Boris
snow report
endoman wrote:
It's definitely in the garage somewhere, then I will need some different arms to fit the lower profile tyres and a fiddle with the link lengths. Fortunately I have 8 spare tyres in the garage to practice on!! ( big garage, needs a mega de clutter)

Couldn't find the alternative chains either ( found 2 other sets) turns out they were in the boot under the false floor bit. It's why I need to start organising packing 6 weeks in advance.

Finally found these today!! Garage is now much tidier, have changed the car again, now have dedicated winter wheels and tyres on a 4*4 so doubt I'll even bother trying to get the chains to fit if we are allowed to go this season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy