Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
@jw83113, Having done this I would recommend going via Belgium as the traffic should be lighter/freer moving The A4/A26 interchange is usually jammed up for miles - back to Reims.

If you do take the French route, the A4 across to Metz and beyond tends to have lighter traffic.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So with my Caen - Aosta trip in mind, that Bison Fute site mentioned above states for 15th Feb:
avoid the A6 motorway between Auxerre and Beaune, from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and between Beaune and Mâcon, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m

So on that basis I think I'm going with my plan A being via Le Mans - Tours then hack east rather than the outer paris-A6 route....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@timc - thanks for the link. According to that the route I'll be taking (A26/A4) doesn't look to be one of the really busy ones so I'll give it a shot. We are going to western Austria (St Anton) so there is a few different options for routes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, now I just read the next page and seen the comment by @knackered knees. I think I'll just see what google maps suggests as the quickest route when we reach Calais and take that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So we are on the eve of le grand depart. Safe travels to all those driving down. We're in a blue Skoda Octavia with Thule sport roof box and two young kids (hopefully) sleeping in the back (or at least happily watching their DVD players!). Give us a wave!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jw83113, If you do head via Reims and the traffic warnings show heavy traffic at the A4/A26 interchange, you can go through Reims and take the D931 and rejoin the A4 further to the east. This cuts out the interchange and I think it's better to be moving at 80kph than stop start on the autoroute.

The Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany route is perhaps slightly longer, but you can refuel in Luxemburg much cheaper than everywhere else. I also find the drive more varied.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
knackered knees wrote:
@jw83113, If you do head via Reims and the traffic warnings show heavy traffic at the A4/A26 interchange, you can go through Reims and take the D931 and rejoin the A4 further to the east. This cuts out the interchange and I think it's better to be moving at 80kph than stop start on the autoroute.

The Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany route is perhaps slightly longer, but you can refuel in Luxemburg much cheaper than everywhere else. I also find the drive more varied.

Our normal route is to head through Belgium round the top side of the Brussels ring road, then into Germany at Aachen (briefly passing through the Netherlands on the way) before using the A61 to head south through Germany then the A8 East followed by A7 south.

I hadn't considered going via Luxembourg, at what point do you head south when travelling through Belgium to do that ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've not done the Brussels Aachen route.

We've driven via Metz and through Belgium, Luxemburg etc for trips to Kirchberg, Serfaus and Ischgl.

Route is Dunkirk, Lille, Mons, Namur, across the Ardennes, Luxemburg, Saarlouis, Primasens, Stuttgart etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
knackered knees wrote:

We've driven via Metz and through Belgium, Luxemburg etc for trips to Kirchberg, Serfaus and Ischgl.

Route is Dunkirk, Lille, Mons, Namur, across the Ardennes, Luxemburg, Saarlouis, Primasens, Stuttgart etc.

Thanks, I can see the route you are discussing on google maps now. Looks good. I think it's worth a try.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jw83113 wrote:
knackered knees wrote:

Thanks, I can see the route you are discussing on google maps now. Looks good. I think it's worth a try.

I got it from other Snowheads, so just passing on the ancient lore of how best to get to the snow snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are on Friday’s 8:20 Eurotunnel in our blue e-class estate with snowHead sticker on the back - anyone else on this crossing? We are driving down to the A39 past Dijon and then turning off towards Polingy and going cross country over Jura’s to Lausanne and then onto Chatel.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're off early tomorrow morning as well. Heading down for a hotel in Moutiers overnight before the short hop to Tignes on Sat morning. We'll probably take the D1504 route both to avoid Lyon, and also because we always get a chuckle going through "The tunnel of chat".

Friends of ours are in a Tesla, so will be interesting to see how their journey goes. Journey planner reckons 5 stops for 30mins supercharging.

Safe travels all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
on the 06.50am Tunnel...heading down to Ste Foy

Convey of 4 - Range Rover, Disco, Cayenne & Toureag

see you on the frog
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wibble44 wrote:
We're off early tomorrow morning as well. Heading down for a hotel in Moutiers overnight before the short hop to Tignes on Sat morning. We'll probably take the D1504 route both to avoid Lyon, and also because we always get a chuckle going through "The tunnel of chat".

Friends of ours are in a Tesla, so will be interesting to see how their journey goes. Journey planner reckons 5 stops for 30mins supercharging.

Safe travels all.

What's the D1504 like through the night/early morning? Does it add much to the journey? We usually head to Lyon and just scoot around it on the A432.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wibble44 wrote:

I think we will see many more Tesla’s on the road this year given their growth in popularity which could make for some interesting queuing at some of the key supercharges. Our friends in a Tesla leave tonight and stopover in Calais and should be interesting to see if we beat them to Chatel from our 8:20 crossing. They will have around 2-3 hours head start.
latest report
Page23 wrote:
What's the D1504 like through the night/early morning? Does it add much to the journey? We usually head to Lyon and just scoot around it on the A432.

through the night, I'd probably stick to the A432. Traffic will be clear, and you'll be a little quicker. Views of the gorge aren't so good at night either.
snow report
@stefoy4me,

I’ll be way ahead of you
snow report
wibble44 wrote:
Page23 wrote:

through the night, I'd probably stick to the A432. Traffic will be clear, and you'll be a little quicker. Views of the gorge aren't so good at night either.

Thanks, that's great. On the return leg we are much later, leaving after the transfer traffic. Is it worth going back that way? We would probably hit that area mid early afternoon.
snow report
Car packing Tetris practice run happens today before taking it all out as paling again at 5am tomorrow. Also need to ask people on street to swap spaces so I am in front of the house. Joys of living in London: Need to fit a built 90x90x35 Cm bookshelf in as well as all the other stuff in a e-class estate boot.
snow conditions
well that's it for me, only a few hours to go before I pick up the girls from school. pop home quickly for them to discard uniform and change into more comfy travelling attire, and pick up their overnight bags, some food for on the way, pillows and blankets!!!

no doubt one of them will be panicking that they have forgot something Puzzled Puzzled

we are on a 8pm(ish) tunnel crossing, staying overnight at st quentin, then leisurely drive to Albertville for the Friday night stop over. we are going to go via bourg en bresse (Poulet services for lunch, yum, yum!!!) then onto Annecy, stop for a little walk around the town and a coffee, then the last hour or so to Albertville for the evening.

obviously, I could have done it with less stops, but for me the travelling out is part of the holiday as well. also, even though we are meeting friends out there, It is just me and my 2 daughters and I have been working away a lot more than usual for the last few months so am looking forward to spending as much time with them as possible. we have come to an agreement that each of them spends a bit of time with me up front instead of just being plugged into their dvd screens in the back seats.

up early change into ski gear and onto les menuires, meet up with friends for a gentle ski on the Saturday, have all the ski passes already and our own equipment so will park up by the apartment and get our ski legs back (hopefully relatively quiet Saturday slopes) although some of the lifties are due to be on strike in LM on Saturday, so will see how much that affects us

truck all packed, with room to spare for the obligatory shop in Albertville Friday evening for essentials, beer and wine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

practiced snow chain install yesterday, picked up a few euros from Sainsbury (haggled for a few extra euros!!), and all way points installed in the phone and truck sat nav.

all paperwork/passports are packed away in my overnight bag.

anyway, am in a grey Mitsubishi truck, with a black halfords roofbox on top. will keep an eye out for fellow travellers.

safe trip everyone

cheers
terry
latest report
@terrygasson, all sounds cool. Les Menuires a great place to be based. Very jealous.
latest report
Likewise heading to Les Menuires but in a slightly more frantic way than @terrygasson,

Late Dover - Calais ferry tomorrow night then overnight drive to Les Menuires, hope to get there for lunch. Nothing like cured meat, melted cheese and cold beer to revive a tired traveller.

We're in the big black Hyundai i800 reg number SN04BUS with sledges on the bike carrier - give us a honk to keep me awake Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 13-02-20 16:30; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@terrygasson, We're on the same basic itinerary .. staying at the Kyriad in St Quentin tonight .. Grey Mitzy LWB Shogun no roofbox .. headed to Chamonix Friday AM.
snow report
Heading out to Les Crosets in the Swiss part of the PdS tomorrow, straight after work for half term week.

Given that it's half term week and the usual Friday night traffic, I suspect it will take me 2-2 1/2 hours rather than the usual 90 minutes, but I'm hoping to do it in one go and avoid an overnight stop wink
snow conditions
Cheers, will keep an eye out for you all

Just waiting outside the girls school, they tip out in about 10mins.

Worst bit of the whole trip is the journey from bath to Folkestone!

For some reason I feel I am too well organised, am sure one of the kids will bring me crashing down to Earth with something they need to get done!!!!!
ski holidays
Packing!!! Argh!!! Haven’t done anything except kit the ski wear out.

Panic? Not yet... but amazed people are already on their way. Will flash snow heads I see on the way. Normally none... I need a sticker...
latest report
Yes, every year I say “I must get a snowheads stocker for the roofbox”.

I’ve failed again.

Safe travels all and have a great time!
snow report
Just to let you all know, the M20 is closed at jctn 9 for roadworks, so far a journey from hell. M4 and M25 has been knackered, this just tops it.
Was originally due on the 7:20 crossing, anyone’s guess at this rate. Stationary with about a mile to get off the m20!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep M20 is closed most nights at the moment to remove the Brexit no deal lorry park provision, called Operation Brock - its another Brexit Bonus...
ski holidays
All packed here - neither of us working tomorrow but he's got the car to fuel and air up (winter tyres fuel pressure issue like last year) and we've both got various other admin things to do before we pack the car and pick the boys up from school. Hoping to be on the road by 3.30pm, they're going to be travelling to Reims in their school uniforms!
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, closing it at 8pm, that is just absolute b!!!!x, it took me an hour to get off and then get to the tunnel. they were going to put us on at 4 in the morning and charge £116, after Discussions with a manager we managed to be put on the 11:20 (everything else was fully booked) for £90 surcharge.

I have been getting loads of jolly emails from eurotunnel telling me about the lovely sights I can visit in France, not one warning about M20 being closed of a night time!!
ski holidays
How frustrating @terrygasson! Hope it goes smoothly, once in France. I’ll be watching the thread with interest as we can’t get going until Saturday.
Timing wise we seem to keep missing lunch/supper times at Poulet de Bresse. The last time we arrived in time, they had run out of chicken!

Thanks to all for the useful tips, and safe travels to everyone. Let the ski begin!
latest report
We are packed, car loaded. Nice easy journey to Reims tomorrow and on to Les Gets on sat. Taking the 12.55 ferry for a change, or earlier if we leave on time and the way down is kind.
latest report
terrygasson wrote:

I have been getting loads of jolly emails from eurotunnel telling me about the lovely sights I can visit in France, not one warning about M20 being closed of a night time!!

I have no doubt you may not have had or seen it, but Eurotunnel have sent me 2 notifications re the M20 closures in the past week. First was on Monday. I've had ample reason to be wound up with them over the years but can't fault them on this one.
latest report
Watch out for the scammers at the aires, e.g. the poor souls walking toward your RHD car with jump leads begging you for help (but not bothering any frenchies), and those who slam their handbrake on in front of you as you leave the car park, etc.
snow conditions
Cheers @Bodeswell, strangely I have never had any real issues with them before, as you say I probably had notifications but didn’t read them properly!!!

Another lesson learnt, is book your crossing around 2 hours later than due to arrive, that way I would still be on this train but with no supplement.

Anyway, on the move now, you can get 4g in the tunnel, daughters are planning to call some friends when “under the sea” when return next weekend.

If this is the only hiccup I will be a happy man.
ski holidays
@crosbie, cheers for the tip
latest report
Got on our 19:39 train after Waze diverted us down some very narrow country lanes .. at one point we were queued up behind a line of vehicles struggling to get past oncoming traffic but in the end it was ok .. wine o'clock after dinner at BK St Quentin
snow report
Just checked and I don't think the M20 is closed tonight, a rare outbreak of common sense from Highways England?
latest report
I am missing the stress/excitement/extra cost/etc of the half term run. For all its faults it was always full of (in the TV sense) jeopardy.
Good luck and wishing you safe travel and skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy