Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving in France after Brexit?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

Read this on the BBC news page today. We’re driving down to Val d’Isere on the 22nd March returning on the 31st March. Just wondered if any others were in the same/similar position?

Here’s part of the article:

At the moment, UK driving licences may be used to drive anywhere in the EEA (this is the EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway).

If Theresa May's withdrawal agreement is passed, UK licences will still be valid for visiting EEA countries.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, then the situation gets complicated.

The government will try to do deals allowing UK licences to be recognised for visits to Europe. But if it doesn't manage to do so, then drivers will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for all EEA countries except the Republic of Ireland. IDPs can be bought at Post Offices for £5.50. You may also need to carry your UK driving licence.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some thoughts in this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3342180&highlight=brexit#3342180
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I’ve just been to the post office to get one
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although I am getting an IDP too, it’s now looking unlikely that we will have left before the ski season is over.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got one too just in case, easy enough process, take photo and UK licence. they are valid for 3 years for France.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you dont have a photo card licence you have in theory always needed a IDP as you need the photo to prove you are indeed you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ve got the old paper licence and no trouble hiring cars in France with this and a passport. Asked the local car hire company in France about hiring cars after Brexit and if I needed an IDL, he just shrugged and said the paper one would be fine, how this translates in reality after Brexit would possibly be a different matter altogether I imagine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wasnt really talking about hiring cars with them as they will have your ID with your credit card, I meant actually driving, the police can demand you have either a photo licence or a IDP, I have driven loads of times and this year was the first time Ive bothered to get one after checking the legal position, a lot would depend on how stroppy the cop that checks you wants to be as to whether you get fined
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends on the country. In general, no, an EU format paper licence is fine anywhere in EU. In practice, Slovenia and a couple of other countries already obliged all drivers to have photo licence before they joined EU, and technically that law remains valid after joining.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1968 International Driving Permit + Insurance Green Card. Got mine in February in case of a last minute rush for them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I applied for a French license back in January (as an English resident in France) as I was told last time I had my collar felt that it was mandatory as I had been here over 6 months ( 15 years Smile )
Today I got a reply from the Prefecture in Nantes handling these requests.
They sent me a photocopied letter, with my name handwritten on the bottom.
The gist of the letter in paragraph 3 is that because of a no deal Brexit, the French government has put in place judicial measures permitting UK citizens who are French residents to continue to drive in France with their UK licenses.
The 4th paragraph says that are therefore returning my whole dossier ( which is in the same envelope).
They go onto say that I should register at the following address to be kept informed on the process:
cert-pc-epe-44-BREXIT@interieur.gouv.fr

The take away is that if they are going to let you continue to use your UK license in France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that. Good to hear, but might still get an IDP just in case!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WindOfChange, exactly the same here, also applied for our licences in mid-Jan, only to have them returned this week with the same letter!
Not only that, but they are now no longer processing any Carte de Sejour requests until the Brexit mess is resolved...........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, Interesting you say about the Carte de Sejour requests.
We got our temp ones (Recipisses) in Mid Feb, after having made an online appointment at the Annecy Prefecture.
Our son went last week as a walk-in, and also got a recipisse, so maybe it varies from Departement to Departement ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@WindOfChange, a friend went toward the end of last week to get hers and it had apparently changed that day.........
snow conditions
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/25/brussels-confirms-return-of-border-checks-under-no-deal-brexit
latest report
@stanton, presumably this will mean that we will only be able to bring 16 litres of beer back in the car on return to the UK under the duty free allowances ? Normally I come back from Austria with a car full of beer. Damn the brexiteers, 'taking back control' is all well and good but not if it means I don't have a stock of weizenbier to last the summer Sad
snow report
https://www.thelocal.fr/20200116/what-are-the-rules-for-driving-in-france-after-brexit
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20200116/what-are-the-rules-for-driving-in-france-after-brexit

For those who have still got a paper only licence then they have always should have had a IDP, ony found that out last year, and I have received a green card this week,cant see there being many changes,I have driven in the states without any hastle in the past so dont expect any in Europe in the future
ski holidays
However - am I right in thinking that the IDP isn't required during the transition period (provided you have a photo licence)?
ski holidays
@agw, Yes, nor do you need a green card for any insurance policy that covers you abroad.
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
@agw, Yes, nor do you need a green card for any insurance policy that covers you abroad.

Ah, yes, thanks.
ski holidays
Assume so but not taking any chances
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy