Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my boots too large, will I notice a difference?

Poster: A snowHead
I have some Nordica Speedmachine 130s which previously I haven't had issues skiing in, but I have noticed that I have to do the boots up to their tightest buckle setting in the morning so my only adjustment in the afternoon is through the velcro strap. I decided to do a shell check and there is roughly 25mm of space which seems to be a large comfort fit. I know new ski boots has been done to death but am I really going to notice a big difference by getting a more performance fit? I'm still able to ski to a high level with these boots (towards instructor level 2 standard for reference).

Perhaps people have experiences of going from a boot they thought was fine to a well fitted boot? I'd be interested to hear! Smile

Next question is done to death but it would be good to hear about any experiences of Lockwoods from this season? I'm struggling to commit to paying the extra £200 I'm bound to spend going to Solutions4feet vs lock woods. Are we talking a large difference in skiing performance/comfort or is it just squeezing that extra 5% out of the process? £500-£600 is almost a ski trip!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For years I skied in size 29.5, believing it to be the correct size for me. A few years back I needed new boots so went to Ellis Brigham in Chester. After a couple of hours squeezing my feet into various boots I came out of the shop with a pair of Salomons in size 28.0. The difference was huge. They were no less comfortable than the old ones (having been heat moulded etc), but skiing was so much easier.

Don't ski in boots that are too big.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@areynolds10, Like you I became convinced that I would benefit from a size smaller and changed from a 27 to a 26.5 (Salomon so a smaller shell size, not just a thicker liner) but hated it.

I had an acute sense of the shorter sole length and the loss of control and power that seemed to create between the boot sole and the binding.

Might have been all in the mind but I'm back in the 27's now and the smaller ones got sold on ebay...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IIRC S4F's consultation charge is £50-£100 but after that their boot prices/footbeds etc are competitive with everyone else. However S4F are the only outfit that I know of in the UK that offer unweighted/semi-weight/weighted footbed options which gives them a better range of solutions for your feet and they have a more extensive workshop than anyone else - but that may or may not be of benefit to you, it depends upon your feet. Plus you'll get a 'time is no object' personal appointment whereas Lockwoods only offer a walk-in service.

If you're L2 level then you'll definitely get the benefit of a better fit (ie a size down for 15mm shell gap, which still isn't a mega fit) and I'd recommend paying the extra.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies! Its a hard decision to make as its not like I don't have an enjoyable time when I go ski in my current boots! No doubt if I go to S4F I would come out with a near perfect fit, his reputation clearly shows Colin is very good at his job but I'd be shelling out for it.

Presumably another option is to get custom liners? Could the lack of adjustment in my buckles be helped with new liners? The boots don't feel sloppy when they are done up to their tightest settings and I have good heel hold. Unfortunately Colin is too busy at the moment to consider looking at my existing boots which is completely understandable. Has anyone had custom liners fitted at lock woods?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Talking about oversized boots, Kooky was skiing (until 2 years ago) in a pair of slightly too big boots which she had skied for 11 years, and I am talking up to 120 days a year. She was in two pairs of socks and could take the boots off without undoing the buckles Shocked Shocked Shocked

She is a pretty good and fast skier on piste and not bad off piste so how she managed that is anybodies guess.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry...describing kookys skiing should say she is an excellent skier and whizz fast. I gave no idea how she managed...skillz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, Laughing Laughing Laughing probably fuelled by Stiegls and Jaegers wink Laughing Laughing

Seriously though wearing my old "wellies" started to feel like I was losing the ability to turn, like I had limited control especially in heavy snow, the new boots were such a confidence booster I only wish I changed them a few years earlier.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
areynolds10 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Its a hard decision to make as its not like I don't have an enjoyable time when I go ski in my current boots! No doubt if I go to S4F I would come out with a near perfect fit, his reputation clearly shows Colin is very good at his job but I'd be shelling out for it.

Presumably another option is to get custom liners? Could the lack of adjustment in my buckles be helped with new liners? The boots don't feel sloppy when they are done up to their tightest settings and I have good heel hold. Unfortunately Colin is too busy at the moment to consider looking at my existing boots which is completely understandable. Has anyone had custom liners fitted at lock woods?

It's folly to fit custom liners to an oversize shell, you're really just wasting money that could go towards the new boots.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go to Bicester, and invest in Zipfit liners (if they suit your feet etc).

The Zipfits will outlast your boot shell and be a revelation, as will properly sized and fitted shells and footbed.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3221480&highlight=zipfit#3221480
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
coops1967 wrote:
Go to Bicester, and invest in Zipfit liners (if they suit your feet etc). The Zipfits will outlast your boot shell and be a revelation, as will properly sized and fitted shells and footbed.....

But he hasn't got a properly sized shell so better to put the £200+ in to new boots instead of new liners. New liners can then be installed in the new shells down the line when the factory liners die.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
areynolds10 wrote:
Perhaps people have experiences of going from a boot they thought was fine to a well fitted boot? I'd be interested to hear! Smile
I don't have that experience (Colin at S4F has fitted me for my last four or five pairs of boots, so I'm used to a performance but not race fit) but I sort of have the opposite experience. I was teaching for the day at The Snow Centre and when I arrived I discovered I'd brought my shells but left my liners at home, so I had to grab a pair of the rental boots and use them. I asked for my shoe size and were given a pair which felt roomy enough to be clown shoes, so I went down a size. They were probably the shortest boot I could have got away with as there was certainly no spare room in front of my toes, but the amount of movement all around my foot was horrible. I was glad I was only skiing indoors, as skiing in those things at speed would have been frightening. The disconnect between me and my skis was so bad it felt like I was using someone else's legs.

I appreciate this is an extreme example but a well fitted boot is the most important bit of kit you're going to own, something you rely on for every single turn. Paying whatever it takes to make sure you get it right should be the highest priority.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Appears to be a case of missing the point here. Sure you can ski to a "high level" in oversized boots - isn't there an old instructors trick getting pupils to ski with their boots undone? - just as you can ski to high level with a pair of punter skis. But your kit is your passage to better skiing and therefore more fun skiing.

Now, like anything, there is a limit. You don't need the performance fit of a downhill racer. But you do want something made for the job.

My advice keep using the boots you have until you can get a slot at S4F.

If you work out the cost per day of properly fitted boots it's worth it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 6-01-20 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@areynolds10, If the boots are still in good condition and its just an issue of your liners being old and packed out, I suggest you contact Pro-feet in London to see if they will sell you a Nodica or Technica (same company) liner which they
have removed from boots where they have provided a custom liner. I bought some from them at the start of 2019 for c. £75 for a pair for my Speedmachines.
snow report
Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to have a trip to Lockwoods on saturday to assess the situation with the hope that it is just a case of my liners being packed out. If that is the case then i'm going to invest in a zipfit liner. Zipfits seem to have fantastic feedback and i like the idea of keeping them when i change boots in the future. If my boots are in fact slightly too large then i'm gonna wait until after my upcoming holiday and go see CEM later in the year!

Don't worry i'll make sure i give Lockwoods some business even if i don't come away with a new liner. I can't go home empty handed Very Happy
snow report
@areynolds10, you've already done a shell check and ascertained that you've got a 25mm gap which is too much for a performance fit. You asked for advice but seem keen on ignoring it rolling eyes
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
@areynolds10, you've already done a shell check and ascertained that you've got a 25mm gap which is too much for a performance fit. You asked for advice but seem keen on ignoring it rolling eyes

so the usual human behaviour, no? I guess as most of time people want confirmation, not the actual advice Smile

to the OP - you are making an expensive mistake if not following a good free advice, but hey, it is your money snowHead
latest report
Haha jeez calm down Shocked I absolutely have not ignored your advice however to be quite honest i'm not that confident in my shell gap check. I get a range of values depending on how i stand/position my feet so i see no harm in visiting a shop where people have experience in these things to get their opinion. I'm not committing to anything yet and if it is indeed a case for new boots then i'll be getting an appointment with CEM. That is quite different to going into a shop and getting liners for aboot that is too big ... but hey you read it as you want.

Ofc i'm very grateful for the advice but no need to get offended by me not heading straight to S4F to shell out £600 Very Happy
snow conditions
@areynolds10, have you measured your mondo size and compared them to the size written on the liner and boot shell? This should help figure out quickly if the shell is the right size.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, Damn good point. I am usually a 28 (size 44) in most trainers, boots etc. My mondo is 26.5 and sure enough that is my (very professionally fitted) ski boot size.

When Kooky got her new boots her skiing ability suddenly shot up a couple of levels, as she stated above she wishes she had done it years ago.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, AFAIK shops always use the mondo measurement when fitting out boots for rental or purchase. People tend to naturally quote a larger comfortable size when using shoe size.
latest report
But many boots are now made/sized 'big' for their mondo size. CEM has comments here before about the sizes 'growing' over the years, hence the need to down size for a performance fit.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, good to know as I thought mondo was the only version of the truth.
latest report
@spyderjon, that is very interesting as I have gone from regular 26.5 to 25.5 to 24 Shocked

(My feet haven’t shrunk).
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@spyderjon, that is very interesting as I have gone from regular 26.5 to 25.5 to 24 Shocked

(My feet haven’t shrunk).

I think CEM was intimating grow by a few mm not by a couple of mondo sizes Toofy Grin
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
coops1967 wrote:
Go to Bicester, and invest in Zipfit liners (if they suit your feet etc). The Zipfits will outlast your boot shell and be a revelation, as will properly sized and fitted shells and footbed.....

But he hasn't got a properly sized shell so better to put the £200+ in to new boots instead of new liners. New liners can then be installed in the new shells down the line when the factory liners die.

Oops... I didn't fully state - "Go to Bicester, get NEW boots the right size and with Zipfit liners" Razz

I'd use the standard liner just as a disposable shape to initially get the shell heat moulded to consistent gap around the foot (plus any punches for large lumps and bumps), then fit the Zipfits.... get 'em properly hot like I linked to and work them for a quarter hour while the goop is good and mobile.

ps Mondo shoe/foot size is the only sensible foot sizing system - i think strictly it's in mm, but Ski boots like Japanese shoe sizes go with cm which is hardly a taxing conversion.
You can put a sheet of A4 paper on the floor up against the skirting board, stand on it with your heel back against that skirting board, make a mark where your foot ends... and measure it with a ruler. That's your Mondo size. No barleycorns, Brannocks or eye rolling at different numbers for US or UK or female vs male shoe sizes or what is that EU number based on anyway? Laughing
snow report
Thought i'd give an update on the boot situation. I was right to have doubt in my shell checking abilities as lockwoods deemed there to be 12-15mm clearance so i got a zipfit liner fitted! The foot hold with the new liner is brilliant! My feet do not move at all in the shell except for a nice amount of room around the toe box. After going through the moulding process, i decided to try out my old liners for comparison and wow did they feel roomy in comparison.

Needless to say i can't wait to try them out on the slopes Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@areynolds10, excellent. Glad things have worked out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy