Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alcohol - Where du u get yours?

Poster: A snowHead
For making your own file lubricant of course!

i have it on good authority that a mix of alcohol and water is a good lubricant to use on your stones ( Shocked ) when doing yer edges. But who sells the alcohol, B&Q?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Methylated spirits is more or less alcohol; I doubt that a bit of methanol will do your stones any harm (provided it's applied topically, of course). I'm surprised that a water alcohol mix is a good lubricant; I would expect the the alcohol to evaporate smartish, leaving just water, which is a reasonable lubricant, but what's wrong with a bit of light oil?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill, White Meths or Isopropyl Alcohol keeps the stones from getting caked in wax and lets them cut clean. You can get a litre or two of Iso from a litho printer suppliers or a van sign co. (used to get the old adhesive residue off vans without damaging the paint finish)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope you guys are up to date with your RIDDOR and COSH, and ADR HAZPAK if transporting wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, is Isopropyl Alcohol also known as rubbing alcohol, or is that something else?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, don't think so Iso's the stuff they rub yer bum with before sticking a needle into it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, lapping fluid for use with diamond files is about £7.50 per 100ml it basically is an oily screen wash type fluid It not really necessary. For lubrication just use a little spit its as good as anything and then clean with a little WD40 Thats what I use when I sharpen my wood turning chisels. If you want the proper stuff I sell it in my shop but it really is just a gimmick by manufacturers to get you to spend more money.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, use a 50/50 solution of denatured alcohol & distilled water. You can use ethanol instead of the denatured alcohol. Try Joseph Mills at http://www.ethanol.co.uk Problem is that you probably have to be a licensed trade user. You could try a local toolmaker's supplies company but their cutting fluids are usually oil based which is a real nono on p-tex bases.

The easiest & best solution (Laughing) is to buy some Secret Sauce from SVST - & while you're at it get a set of Moonflexes stones to replace them dodgy DMT's wink. http://www.race-werks.com/store.php?startrow=70
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, Masque, Russell, thanks for the information. I've been googling away over lunch.

It seems some stores sell a "washfluid/water" mix as a lubricant and some sell a "denaturated alcohol/water" mix for the same thing. The ski shops say the alcohol mix works best. As Russell, says this is a rip off as you can make your own dirt cheap.

Also, denaturated or denatured alcohol is simply alcohol (which is ethanol) made undrinkable (so avoiding paying tax) by adding methanol. So methylated spirit is actually the stuff I'm after.

BTW, "mineralised methylated spirits" has a mineral oil added as well, so it's probably the best to make your lube with.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, sorry mate. I was writing when you posted. I've just got the full set of moonflex stones delivered from Artech, it was they who said not to buy a lube but to make my own.

Interesting point about oils, maybe I should look at normal meths, not mineralised.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, BTW you only need to use cutting fluid with ya stones. For ya files just rub on some blackboard chalk to prevent clogging & then clean them with a file card after use.

russell, sorry but I disagree. Lapping fluid is great & cheap but shouldn't go anywhere p-tex bases because, as you quite rightly say, it's oil based. The oil is absorbed in to the p-tex & then inhibits the absorbtion of wax. The idea of using a good cutting fluid is to not only lubricate the stone but also to ensure that swarf etc 'floats' away from the contact area to ensure a clean & accurate cut. Water/spit alone won't do this - although if I was on the slopes & need to stone out a ding I'd use snow as a fluid.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill wrote:
spyderjon........ I've just got the full set of moonflex stones delivered from Artech.....

You know it makes sense wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got the moonflex stones from the place spyderjon recommended in the US, seem great, only problem is I got stung by UPS for the tax, circa £25 I seem to rememeber Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh, you paid too much then. £18.50 by royal Mail Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
at least you got stung as well Smile
ski holidays
over the last few seasons i have been dealing (at the industry test) with a couple of ski techs working for Head, both these guys are Toko master techs and work on the race circuit, their lube for the diamond file.......good old spit, or a cup of water if you can't be bothered Toofy Grin
snow conditions
CEM, you can tell they don't buy their own kit then. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
marc gledhill, i used to do the same in the workshop when i was tuning, never caused a problem on the stones, we used them for at least 2 seasons of hard use, by that point it was only time to change because they usually got lost by then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CEM, really?

i've worn out a pair of DMT stones (medium and coarse) in about four months doing my skis once a week, my wifes twice, and about four pairs of my mates skis once each.

I'd presumed it was because I hadn't used a lube.
snow report
marc gledhill, were they the old style DMT with dots on or the ones that have appeared recently with a stuck on diamond bit with a swirl style pattern (not sure if there were DMT or from somewhere else
snow conditions
CEM, both Swix and Diaface/Moonflex now sell those.

marc gledhill, too much pressure?
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
marc gledhill, were they the old style DMT with dots on ......

They're the ones.
snow report
comprex wrote:

Quite probably. How much should I use?
snow conditions
My preference is for barely enough to assure consistent contact, say 2lbs for the 75mm stones working on side edges. 10 passes max then switch to the next finer grade. Water, isopropanol, window cleaner fluid, all seem to work well as cutting fluids.

If you feel you need more pressure, check
a) the angle is correct to the ski
b) that the plastic sidewall isn't in the way of the stone.
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
comprex wrote:

Quite probably. How much should I use?

Hard to describe really. Firm enough so the stone/guide won't slip but not so hard that your finger tips hurt after a few passes.

The dot pattern DMT's are really soft, especially without cutting fluid & even worse if you always use them in the same position so that they're always cutting, or wearing, in the same spot.

Now that you've got a set of Moonflex's just go through the grades (leaving the black out if you're tuning regularly & there's no damage) by doing one return pass of overlapping foot long strokes & then one smooth continuous return stroke & then swap stones. It works for me.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, I know it's been a few months since your initial post but I should hear from HM Customs & Excise whether my application for authorisation to purchase industrial denatured alcohol has been approved. Although the application is free you won't believe the bureaucracy that you have to go through to buy just a small quantity.

So hopefully I should be able to help you out in a few weeks time.
latest report
spyderjon, had a chance to look at the Maplus stones?
snow report
comprex, I've got a couple of samples coming from tools4boards. Have you used them? I'm a bit concerned about the 'paper backing' but I'll wait & see how they work & how long they last.

I don't know where they're made but if they're US produced they'd probably end up being expensive in the UK as punters over here usually have to buy in GBP what you pay in $ Mad.

Commercially I've got a great deal on the superb Moonflex's as they're made in the EU (already sold some to the US) & Maplus will have a hard job surpassing the Moonflex's durability.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's going to be one spoilt fleabayseller if we don't stop thinking alike.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy