Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur 1st time

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my wife and young kids to Courmayeur for their first ski holiday. Learning from Snowheads that I've maybe messed up the resort choice, so many comments saying not great for beginners.....but can't change it now.

They are in lessons in the morning but where would be good to take them to practice in the afternoon? Read that the nursery slope can only be accessed with a ski instructor - can't afford an instructor all day everyday
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mandh, it will be fine, do not worry. Just ask your instructor on where to stay. Central mid mountain area will be just fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome family resort ...no worries, enjoy !!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's fine for beginners, plenty of blue runs and some good wide reds to get them on at the end of the week Very Happy

Make sure to have lunch at Maison Vieille! Bar Roma is pretty much the only "apres" bar in town and is pretty decent. The owner is something of a character
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

many comment ... not great for beginners

Where? Who? Really?

Quote:

the nursery slope can only be accessed with a ski instructor

Don't believe that's the case ...

It'll be fine. Don't believe everything you think you read on teh internet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Meltus wrote:
It's fine for beginners, plenty of blue runs and some good wide reds to get them on at the end of the week Very Happy

Make sure to have lunch at Maison Vieille! Bar Roma is pretty much the only "apres" bar in town and is pretty decent. The owner is something of a character

Maison Vieille - superb. Also a mountain hut in summer for hikers that do TMB. The owner is super nice (we drank his Barolo when started chatting when I stoped there on my TMB a few years ago). Lunch was great a couple of times I ate there during skiing period as well but with winter season rush the owner indeed showed some character Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for the replies, feeling loads better guys

As for the freaking out it was via Lovecourmayeur.com - quote "due to the limited space at Plan Checrouit nursery slopes can only be used when accompanied by a ski instructor. "

As for "not great for beginners" comment, this seems to come up in every resort review across multiple websites and forums.

I hadn't checked as I've skied Courmayeur before and had my own view it would be fine (particularly for 1st timers who really won't have much range for the their first week). I chose Courmayeur as it is small, compact and liked the ability to leave ski rentals at the top rather than dad lugging them around....oh and the food of course!

Not being able to use the nursery slope after lunch though is the biggest worry.....

Hopefully the mid part of the week they will all be able use a chair lift and we can explore some of the blue runs as a family. If I can get them over the back and down to Zerotta by the end of the week I'm going to be pretty happy with that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mandh, "lovecourmayeur" seems to be one of those really irritating sites that try and look like the "official" one, but aren't. Never noticed any restrictions - but then I wouldn't really be looking out for them. I would expect that if the family are having lessons, even if restricted, they'll be allowed to practice on them.

"not great for beginners" can't see why not. Hardly difficult skiing and not a reputation I've ever heard about the place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a very early weekend in Courmayeur and it was fine. run 17 by Chiecco is great and gentle to warm up and then 15 I think from Pra Neyron is also fine. Piste 9 on the Veny side is very looping and gentle down to Pendeint but when it’s busy in the afternoon there are really snarly bumpy pinch points that when I went back recently I preferred to take black 8 to avoid! So if you’re doing that, do it earlier if they are really inexperienced.

We had a guide to show us around and he told us red 25 to Dolonne was the easiest red in resort (it’s the only one on Checrouit side to village level, and can get slushy though).

I can see why people say it’s not great for beginners as you will repeat a lot of ground as there aren’t that many blues to begin with, but conversely can be good to build confidence. Pretty much anything marked blue is fine.
Maison Vielle ensure you have a booking (we did and still waited an hour and left without even a drink as beautiful as it is, it’s hugely busy and haphazard service on a nice day). Chiecco is excellent too and really accessible; try the Pici !

You must do the red 21 at Youla even if just once - so quiet and groomed there as most who endure the long wait for the single creaky lift are heading to the off Piste side.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never used them so apologies if it's not helpful but the Courmayer page and Telegraph Resort review describe it as below:

"There are nursery slopes with free lifts at Plan Chécrouit (plus a couple of moving carpet lifts for ski school beginners) as well as at Pre de Pascal at the top of the Entrèves cable car."

Maybe it's the "Couple of moving carpet lifts for ski school beginners" that they are referring to that you can't access without being part of a school.

I always thought Courmayer was ok for beginners but you'll always get people with different opinions. It's not a massive resort but you have the little 30 Blue just at the top of the first car that you should be fine to play around on and quite a few around there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chiecco has a button lift so is good as a nursery slope if something else is off limits.
While I was there (for my second visit) last season there were a group of adult beginners in our hotel in Entreves. Other than starting the day at the Dolonne lift rather than Val Veny they went back and forth like anyone else and seemed perfectly happy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again for the replies, really helpful, very grateful indeed

I've just seen there is Fun Park at the bottom of the Dolonne bubble, they have nursery slopes there with 3 carpet lifts.

Does anyone know if it is any good and worth travelling down to it? My family will not be ready for 25 red just yet - but if an easy red, maybe by the end of week!

Though perhaps a walk from the Dolonne lift to the park is needed as well? not sure?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mandh, When are you there if it’s half term the bit about needing an instructor will definately be for the magic carpets next to the ski school office on Plan Checruit, outside of half term you may be able to use it in the afternoons and it’s only for smaller kids, how old are yours?
As others have said once they have had a couple of lessons they should be able to take Pra Neyron chair and come back to base by any of the blues, there’s a little off piste track through the trees that kids love.
Food wise also try Chez Olier it’s the pizza and pasta place you can see as you go up Pra Neyron lift, gets busy 12-2 but you can book tables.
The red run down to Dolonne is a road run, not my favourite but ok for the kids once they get going, if there not ready download in the gondola to get to the fun park. If you do get over to Val Veny side the magic carpet is open for all to use, and the self serve restaurant just above it is a family run place with some great local dishes as well and simple pasta for the kids.
We’re there for half term again and will use the Dolonne gondola, parking is free and generally less waiting around, particularly downloading when the kids will be tired.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all for your very helpful comments, super kind.

Having found a more detailed piste map at https://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Italy/Courmayeur I can see many more blue runs, including those mentioned above - perfect

Hopefully the family progress well and can get confident to dismount a chairlift quickly, then we are off!

Restaurant suggestions also super helpful, half the fun of the trip really!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pra Neyron is a 6 man detachable lift, so slow to load and dismount, loads of kids use it, and from there you can go across to Aretu which takes you to the top of the mountain, hopefully your kids will be keen to go to the top, and there’s a blue route back to Plan Checruit.
ski holidays
Thanks @geoffknight, so excited to go now and will defo try to get them to the top if they progress well and look ready for it.

Can't see the blue route down from the top Aretu though, only reds. But I can go up and explore more whilst they have their morning lessons.
snow conditions
Any comments re ski school relate to the magic carpets at Plan Checrout. It's not that you can't use them, it's that you can't use them to instruct - difficult to do when you've got beginners. My advice would be to take the Val Veny cable car up and use the magic carpet called "Prato" if you need one. It is normally deserted and next to a very friendly cafe and restaurant. When your gang can slide and stop the next stop would be the Maison Vielle drag lift up the slow chair from Plan Checrouit where they are very used to looking after beginners. After that the mountain opens up for you.

Re restaurants don't forget la Chaumiere as well. Heston, Tom Kerridge and Marcus Wareing are all regular visitors there which is a pretty good recommendation!

Enjoy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy