Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter trip help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to plan a trip for Easter week which coincides with my birthday (big 5 0)

There will be 8 people 5 adults and 3 youngish kids (7-11)
All beginners apart from me

As its late in the season I want to know which resorts I need to be looking at that are relatively snow sure?

Already been looking at Val Thorens and Les Menuires, I just need to compare prices with other places.

Ideally looking at self catering chalets / apartments

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz will still have more than enough snow for beginners (and you, being more experience), lots of self catered apartments available.

Can recommend Avoriaz Alpine Ski School for fun, small, well run group lessons for the kids.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@papajc, great way to spend that big birthday. I was in Tignes for that one, too many years ago.

Well there may be a SnowHeads family Bash next Easter. If so, that will be in Val Thorens, about the best place for late season snow.

The End of Season Bash is definitely on. Check out the forum under Snow Events and see EOSB2019. That gives you information about the excellent apartments used, which are in a great location, slopeside, in the heart of Val T. Very good value those Bashes.!

As you say, Les Menuires is another option. Plenty of apartments. Nice wide sunny slopes, good for beginners and early intermediates. Snow often slushy in afternoons but good access to Val T and La Masse usually holds up well.

Tignes and Val D’Isere are the other main options in France for good snow in mid April.

snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should add that I don’t think Tignes and Val D are as good for beginners as Val Thorens and Les Menuires.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@papajc, I can second those comments above!

I took my family for their first trip when the kids were that age, at Easter. We went to Avoriaz the first time and there was plenty for them to ski on.

In subsequent years we have been on the Snowheads Spring Family Bash (SFaB) in Val Thorens at Easter, and it has worked very well for a family self-catered trip.

I would advise against doing what we did on our first trip - I got a brilliant deal on a catered chalet between Morzine and Avoriaz, which meant each morning started with a minibus, then gondola then chairlift *before* ski school. Not recommended with beginners! I think my wife damn nearly left me over that! With several weeks of ski in ski out
at Val Thorens, with the added benefit of Snowheads company, she is much keener on skiing now. But if you stay in Avoriaz you'll be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
@papajc, great way to spend that big birthday. I was in Tignes for that one, too many years ago.

Well there may be a SnowHeads family Bash next Easter. If so, that will be in Val Thorens, about the best place for late season snow.

The End of Season Bash is definitely on. Check out the forum under Snow Events and see EOSB2019. That gives you information about the excellent apartments used, which are in a great location, slopeside, in the heart of Val T. Very good value those Bashes.!

As you say, Les Menuires is another option. Plenty of apartments. Nice wide sunny slopes, good for beginners and early intermediates. Snow often slushy in afternoons but good access to Val T and La Masse usually holds up well.

Tignes and Val D’Isere are the other main options in France for good snow in mid April.

snowHead

The bash is the week after I want to go.

The problem I've had with looking at Les menuires is some chalets say they are in LM but aren't they are either lower down the mountain and not near a town /village centre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The bash is the week after I want to go.

@papajc, it would be worth a message to @admin to see if he will run the SFaB in April 2020. If so, SFaB is likely to be the week before the EoSB.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tomj, +1
I'm not in the market for the SFaB but fairly sure I read a few weeks ago that it was likely to run in 2020.

As for chalets in LM, down from the town. do you mean Reberty, or somewhere else?
I know there are some well out of it, near the River Doron, as it winds its way down the valley from Val T. But if Reberty, that's quite a good location IMO.

However, SnowHeads Family Bash, if running in 2020, would be hard to beat for location, cost, camaraderie and snow conditions.
snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@papajc, have you booked anywhere? We stayed in a lovely s/c penthouse in Tignes this Christmas that l think could work well for your group
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@papajc, Les Menuires is a great location. We stayed there April 2019.

However, you are right to be careful about were the apartment is located. As per the TR linked above we stayed in Lac du Lou in the La Croisette sector. There was a little slip road at the back of the building right next to the lift to unload and load the car plus parking nearby. And the slope/lift was 50 yards out of the front of the building. Les Menuires was a great base for accessing Val T and Mont Vallon slopes. We rented directly from the owner who has a few apartments I believe. If you want I could dig out the owners details? Nice people.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Layne

I've booked in VT. Thanks anyway

But if you could dig out the details that'd be good for future trips
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
papajc wrote:
Hi Layne

I've booked in VT. Thanks anyway

But if you could dig out the details that'd be good for future trips

https://herpin-lacroisette-lesmenuires.fr/

The lady speaks perfect English so you can email or telephone without issue if you don't speak French.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy