Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about :Val di Fassa!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Val di Fassa next week on a couple's trip, for what might be my only trip of the season Shocked

Despite having been on the Birthday Bash, I've got no memory of Val di Fassa whatsoever! What hidden gems should I be looking out for?
and taking credit for epic local knowledge! snowHead

Adventurous snowboarder + skier who visibly shudders at the mention of black runs snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"..visibly shudders at the mention of black runs.." and my first thought was to recommend the Alba black Wink (runs from Ciampac to Alba).

I like the general area above Ciampac/Pozza, much quieter than the Ronda area

Which village are you staying in??

====

bit of video info from our very own Cameron Phillips

http://youtube.com/v/m0bjXnhGJ9Q&t=2s
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The bottom stations in the val di fassa are fine -- IF you avoid ski-school times !! ; start before 9/9.15 or have a lie in and go after 10.... Wink

One thing to watch for would your return to the valley. Campitello, you have to download : Canazei, it is possible to ski to town but many people download :

Valley bus service is very good and even includes a 'Noddy' train.. Smile

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albob, brilliant.. the noddy train sounds right up my street snowHead

We're in Alba, so Ciampac is right there on the other side of the valley I believe.

And a snowheads video?I couldn't ask for better!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Robin Agogo, You will be absolutely fine on everything Val di Fassa can throw at you, piste wise. The Alba black is not that black, but you can scope most of it from the cable car anyway and download if you don't fancy it. It is worth noting that the piste back down into Canazei does not finish anywhere near the lift, so if you come down during the day you'll have a little stroll or ride on the train to get back up again.

It's a while since I've been, but there was a shop in the centre of town that sells lots of local produce like honey. If you go through into the back, there's an old wine store room stocked with mostly local wines that you won't see outside of Italy and probably not outside the region. Enjoy Cool

Edit: Sorry, I assumed Canazei rather than Alba, but Alba is pretty small so you'll probably head into Canazei anyway at some point. It's not far.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet wrote:
@Robin Agogo,
It's a while since I've been, but there was a shop in the centre of town that sells lots of local produce like honey. If you go through into the back, there's an old wine store room stocked with mostly local wines that you won't see outside of Italy and probably not outside the region. Enjoy Cool.

Excellent, I do like an interesting bottle of wine!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed in Alba probably the week before yours about 4 years ago and then again in Pozza a bit later the following year.
When we went in January queues generally were not a problem at all, in February they were significant in places.
Alba is at the bottom of the steepest bit of the valley and doesn't get a lot of sun in January.

The black run down from Ciampac is well pisted and not mogulled there are two variants part way down one doubling back on itself is a bit more straight forward. As with most runs down to the bottom it is a lot easier earlier in the day when freshly prepared than when it has been compacted at the end of the day when good edges come into their own. The skiing round Buffaure is sunny and very pleasant indeed.

The valley bus pass is cheap and allows you to return home if you ski down to Canazei or back from Pozza or you need to get the linking bus up at Pozza to ski to Vigo. Depending on where you are based in Alba it may also be handy for getting to and from the cable car in the morning and evening.

If I was taking skiers new to the Dolomites I would consider a trip to the Marmolada a must for the views and general experience and also a trip up to Saas Pordoi for the views.
The only difficulty maybe if your black run shudderer gets a bit anxious on long days the trip to and from the Marmolada involves quite a lot of skiing on red runs some of which can get a bit cut up as the day progresses.
Another great day is heading over towards Santa Cristina and then heading over via Seceda to Ortisei lovely long sunny runs.

Edited as one sentence seemed to have jumped places

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 10-01-20 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@T Bar, lovely, thanks for the ideas Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Which hotel are you in? We stayed in Cesa Rotic which is last stop on the bus before Alba base station so getting a bus in the morning was tricky as they were full from Canazei.

Conversely bus back or to Canazei was fine.

From memory, nearest shops in Canazei

The Alba and Pozzo areas were lovely!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all,

Jumping in as we are off to Val Di Fassa in 2 weeks. We are in Penia/Alba. Is the bus down to Canazei or from Penia to the Alba lifts included on the lift pass or do we have to pay each time we use?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From recollection we had to pay, but it was a few years ago, so hopefully someone with more recent experience can help
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The bus is no longer free.

Some hotels etc do a reduced rate ticket - 6 euros vs 12

https://www.fassa.com/EN/Skibus-service/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Marjon, we're also in the Cesa Rotic Very Happy

Thanks for flagging the morning bus situation.

6 Euro, or 12 Euro even, isn't too bad Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, thanks, hopefully ours does the discount
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice comfy hotel, owner is nice and a little eccentric, it was my mates birthday so she put on full local garb and serenaded him. By accordion!

Nice restaurant / bar a short distance away or a longer walk towards Alba lifts where a couple of hotel bars. For real nightlife it is Canazei and a taxi back.

Disclaimer it was about 5 years ago, so any of the above may have changed!

My view on the Alba black - probably a steepish red really, but very good when pisted in the morning. Consistent gradient all the way but is broken up by ledges (road?) On the way down.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info. 12 Euros for the week is absolutely fine!
ski holidays
We spent Christmas week in Penia at the Neilson Chalet Hotel. We were given a ticket for the valley buses, although I was never asked to produce it. snowHead
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
We spent Christmas week in Penia at the Neilson Chalet Hotel. We were given a ticket for the valley buses, although I was never asked to produce it. snowHead

Exactly where we are heading!

How did you find it?
snow report
I've edited my post very slightly to make more sense s one of the sentences seemed to have jumped from where I intended. Embarassed
ski holidays
@Marjon, I shall report back if the accordion makes an appearance! snowHead
latest report
@Robin Agogo, it is worth going up ciampac and following the skitour panorama to Pozza. If you do then note the long red leading down to the village has a long flat run out at end, not popular with boarders. Which means the alternative is the black at that end as well, the Vulcano. Again not a really challenging black. A pity about the long flat end to the red as it is nice before that as it winds down through the trees.

On the way across there is also another fairly flat run along a valley. Probably ok for boarders if you can carry some speed. Personally I enjoy pushing off from the top and doing the whole thing on skis with no turn, in general at some point JK goes past me in the tuck along the flat Happy
snow conditions
@Robin Agogo, As @SteveM says the Vulcano run avoids the long run out on the red. There are a couple of steep sections but they are fairly short sections and the rest is not very challenging.
snow report
@Robin Agogo, have a great week. @FatGeorge and I will watch out for you. Try to resist the urge to sit down in the middle of a piste, just over the brow of a hill wink
Will there follow a Cesa Erotic video? snowHead
ski holidays
There are other threads on the area on here, think one had refugio recommendations.

Agree Alba looked like it got very little sun as I went in and out the valley on the lifts ( I stayed in delightful Pozza, which is sunny, right by the Buffaure lift). Would recommend Pozza to anyone and will happily go back one day.
snow report
Loved the Vulcano run, managed to do it top to bottom without stopping. Brill.
snow conditions
Nobody appears to have mentioned the Hidden Valley which is a great day out & easily reached from Alba - getting there as early as possible avoids the Q's for taxis - you follow signs for "Grande Guerra" (great war) - I may have misspelled that!

We found Alba/Buffaure much quieter than anywhere on the Sella round trip (M25!)

Marmolada glacier is also within easy reach & another excellent day out

We stayed at Neilson Chalet hotel dolomites inn & they included the bus pass, but IIRC it was only about a fiver anyway
ski holidays
@Fridge03, great hotel, good food even if the portions were to big, better than to small. The location isn’t the best, but a bus to the Alba lifts runs every 20 minutes, takes about 5 min. It’s about 250m to the terminus for the buses that run along the valley. Evo is a great instructor and guide, Kirsty, the Neilson rep was always up for a ski in the afternoon. We had an excellent Christmas. Hope you enjoy your week. snowHead
snow report
NeddySkiGoon wrote:

Our hotel charged 6 Eur. We were asked to show the ticket by inspectors a few times so OP be warned, keep your ticket with you. It’s just a small piece of paper so by the end of the week is really scrappy...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the lovely info!

We've done the Panorama tour ( lovely and quiet, wouldn't take a beginner boarder as some flats) , Marmolada ( epic), and also got stuck in Arabba as the gondola we needed back closed at 1530h for some reason! Cue breakneck shared taxi up the twisty mountain roads to catch the Canazei download gondola before it too closed ( a more reasonable 1700h) Alta Badia is pretty and cruisy as ever.

The ski bus in Val di Fassa is great, handy and a bargain at 6EUR

@PeakyB, ha! Not a chance, you'll just have to stay here yourself one day Very Happy
snow conditions
@NeddySkiGoon, we are in the same hotel in February. We are trying to work out the best option for ski hire. The shop at the bottom of the lifts in Alba is not taking reservations for February. What did you do?
snow conditions
@DominicM, I also noted the Paolo Nollegio shop wasn’t taking internet bookings in Feb but Neilson use the same shop so I just booked mine via Neilson. Alternatively, the shop says ‘just turn up!’. Think the rep will give out the voucher on the transfer or at the hotel. Also staying in the Neilson Dolomites Inn from 1st Feb - which week are you there?
snow report
@damobloke1, you should try and meet up with one or more of the vast number of sHs who will be touring round the Sella Ronda area that week Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy