Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First thing to do upon arrival?

Poster: A snowHead
So, what’s your ‘First thing to do upon arrival in the ski resort’?

1) Unpack luggage into wardrobes, drawers, shelves, etc.
2) Find the nearest snow and walk around in it, play in it, etc.
3) Head to the bar, e.g. to de-stress from the nightmarish travel experience.
4) Restaurant, e.g. raclette, despite not even having skied yet.
5) Get lift passes, ski/boot hire, piste maps, ski school, crèche, all the essentials...
6) Relax in the accom., with a view to an early night, perhaps read a book, etc.
7) Explore the resort: check out all the shops, restaurants, bars, etc.
8 ) Phone friends/family, update Facebook and other social media, catch up, and then seeing it's 3am already, sleep.
9) Locate tour rep and eagerly await their instructions.
10) Park the car, put ski boots on and go skiing! [spyderjon]
*) Other?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 9-01-20 23:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Programme piste rescue in to your mobile phone. You should find the number on the piste map.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, very sensible.

I'd put that under number 5: sorting out the essentials/practicalities for the skiing ahead.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beer
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First night frenzy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pour a glass of wine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
10) Park the car, put ski boots on and go skiing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First night frenzy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the distinct possibility of arrival early in the day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:

This if arriving at a time that allows it. Not often possible for us.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mishmash, I presume 'first night frenzy' is a combo of 'some of the above', where there's so much that has to be done, so much that one wants to do, and yet not enough time to do it all.

"I have to cut my toenails, wax my skis, drink five Jägerbombs, buy my liftpass, eat a kebab, and figure out what order to do it all in - and before we go to the nightclub goddammit!"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

except last year, which was 3 (14 hours to get from Innsbruck to Arabba, which is normally 2 hours, and met some that left half hour after me that took 6 hour longer)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
??) Re-write roomlist according to all the little surprises that the hotel thought wouldn't make any difference, but do.

"But it is a very big double bed, so this is really the same as 3 single beds like the website says"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
10 these days, or else 3 ruins the next day.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@admin, Laughing I bet you're tempted in some cases
ski holidays
1/ put the kettle on and make a cup of tea
2/ go out to shop to buy more tea
3/ unpack and see if I bought tea with me
4/ now look for milk
ski holidays
Walk the dog.
snow report
admin wrote:
??) Re-write roomlist... Unless there's fresh tracks to be had...

FIFY
ski holidays
For our quick weekend trips, we'll normally get into resort around 10pm so its a mad frenzy in any bar/club that's open!
snow report
Sling Luggage in chalet, pull boots and skis out, walk to piste, ski down to lift pass office, buy half day pass and ski! Find bar, drink. Try and find chalet I don't really know where it is, eat, sleep!
snow conditions
Either 1) or 10) depending on time of arrival.
ski holidays
Before even unpacking, force self to sort out tickets and any rental/gear needs. (Sat. afternoon) No matter how lousy I feel, I've found that if you don't do this right away you'll be stuck doing it on Sunday morning and lose at least half a day skiing if not more.

The other unpleasant task if you're staying in an apartment is buy food for at least Sat/Sun, whether on the way or in-station. At least coffee/breakfast and basic pasta/sauce/wine/cheese. Monday afternoon we normally do a more comprehensive shop.
snow report
We usually arrive after 7pm. So unpacking (1), bit of food buying as we are SC, ideally sort out lift tickets and rented kit (5), ordered according to relative closing times, by which time relax and sleep (6).
ski holidays
Same as @Hurtle, but usually 10)
snow report
Depends on arrival time, are we catered / self catered, children in tow, are we hiring anything.

In theory we should be able to get an afternoon skiing in when we arrive this Saturday. I haven’t pre-booked lift pass to allow that as we have family and friends in tow who are beginners and hiring. So suspect will be helping them.

Shopping for supplies when self catering is normally high on agenda.

I prefer to pre-book lift passes (this Febs should be in the post to us now).
snow report
1. Breathe in the fresh mountain air.
2. Take in the beauty of the lights twinkling in the village.
3. Feel the crunch of the snow under my feet as I walk down to the main hotel.
4. Say hello again to people I haven’t seen for 12 months.
5. Listen out for where @fingersfreddy is and go and get a bear hug off him.
6. Try in vain to beat @al9000 to the cake.
7. Have a couple of large G&T’s
8. Then rip the p*ss out of @audfart all evening and receive the same treatment in spades. (Repeat 7 and 8 each day.)
9. Laugh until my sides hurt.
10. Think how lucky I am to have found Snowheads and Bashes and look forward eagerly to the next days wonderful skiing with a great bunch of people.
Happy days. Toofy Grin (I’m filling up)
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, Little Angel
snow report
@NickyJ, One of these years I'll actually remember to order passes online. Problem is everyone in my family tends to change their mind about what they want, i.e. local mountain vs. combi pass etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK so it's been a while since I went on any skiing vacations, but the answer is simple, put ski boots on and go skiing.
snow report
I prefer to buy the lift pass when there, because... #3 above.

The time to buy a pass and the time to collect a pre-made pass from the exact same desk in the lift pass office is going to be pretty much the same, and I won't have bought the unnecessary extra day that can't be used due to traffic causing arrival delay.
snow conditions
Exactly the same as Pasigal.

Our priority is to get the rental skis for the kids and lift passes and check meeting points for ski school the next day.

If time, get an hour on the slopes! We're hoping timings this year may just make it possible, but of course you never know whether flights etc will be delayed. Also lift passes cover from 3pm the day before they 'officially' start, so our hour's skiing will be free if we manage it.

Then try to get basic provisions in. I don't want to waste any of our first full day's skiing if I can help it, so I like to make sure we get everything done that we can the first evening.
latest report
All depends on time of arrival but usually, get down to rental place. Sort Skis and/or locker. Get pass. Unpack. Eat, drink and be merry.
snow report
So much depends on time of arrival, but it's usually get to the shops for food.
Pretty boring really.
snow conditions
We always drive to the Alps so we get in mid morning, if we are in Tignes (our usual annual destination).

1) Stop outside Loop bar, go in for a breakfast and fresh coffee, if sunny sitting out on terrace and taking in the mountains for couple hours, more coffee and maybe a lunch snack too
2) Drive across to Val Claret parking and park up
3) Get keys for apartment
4) Get lift pass
5) move into the apartment
6) get out on slopes for a few afternoon runs!
7) Beer or red wine in the evening

In Val d'Isere this year so might miss Loop bar, unless we are really early arriving then will drive into Le Lac then drive across to Val d'Isere.
latest report
11) Check in to accomodation, dump bags, ski passes and kit hire, beer.

I'm very confused by 1). Bag gets dropped next to bed, unzipped and the contents slowly migrate to a dirty pile next to it as the week goes on.
ski holidays
Probably G&T unless we arrive around midday then its a frenzy to get out in 15 minutes and I couldn't possibly tell you in what order things happen.
latest report
Usually 1 & 5 then suddenly realise what bit of kit we forgot to pack then scurry around replacing it.
snow report
- Wonder if my old bones will really cope with another year's skiing.

- Go and see if this is finally the year, that my Hotel room is bigger than a shoe box, with reasonable storage and sufficient hangers.

- Check the bath is designed for somebody taller than a Pygmy

- Check Forecast

- Unpack and go to Bar
latest report
crosbie wrote:
@mishmash, I presume 'first night frenzy' is a combo of 'some of the above', where there's so much that has to be done, so much that one wants to do, and yet not enough time to do it all.

"I have to cut my toenails, wax my skis, drink five Jägerbombs, buy my liftpass, eat a kebab, and figure out what order to do it all in - and before we go to the nightclub goddammit!"

No, its an expression to sum up the frenzied excitement of arrival that results is completely overdoing it on the booze rather than the planned, sensible early settling in in preparation for a proper start the following day. It is particularly the case on a "lad's" (dads's?) trip. The expression is relation of "Thirsty Thursday" which happens later in the week...
ski holidays
Attempt to half-sort my gear for the morning before say "fudge it" and heading to the nearest place that sells booze and a pack of fags for the chairlift.
...hours pass...
Then I wake up late and, powered by regret and a strong desire not to think of the £s per hour cost of laying in bed, I attempt to get dressed in 5 minutes, which usually results in loads of faffing, muttering "FFS" under my breath, forgetting the lift passes and fighting the urge to say "never drinking again" because I know I'm kidding myself.

Thankfully I have kids with me this year so the fags are a no-no Wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 10-01-20 13:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy