Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing B&B rather than Hotels/CHalets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have done self catering and it has been fine. Also done HB in Switzerland where the food was really excellent and you could eat any time between 6 and 9 which suited us perfectly. Just back from the notoriously expensive for food Norway and did the FB option with the hotel. Excellent breakfast, lunch in a slope restaurant then excellent dinner/ buffet depending on the night anytime between 5 and 10pm. We have been away over Xmas for a few years but this is first time in hotel rather than SC at Xmas and it really was lovely to do the traditional Norwegian Christmas. It really is whatever you fancy. No right or wrong
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar wrote:
different things suiting different people.

Totally!

I used to do hotel/B&B only. I wanted to have good food of my choice for dinner, as eating out was part of the holiday experience!

But, after years and years of eating out at places ranging from fancy to "home cook like your Mum did it", eating out started to lose its shine. It's becoming...just food. Having to get dress and go back out after shower, sometimes when it's snowing and dark outside, pizza in pajama started to appeal. (except there's only so many nights of pizza before it gets boring)

Then, one year at Whistler, booking last minute, apartment was the only option. So with a full kitchen staring at me and thick fat snow flakes outside (forecast to continue daily for the duration of stay), it suddenly makes perfectly good sense to stock up the frig with items to make breakfast and dinner. Everyday after skiing, a drink, a shower, then throw something together quick and delicious, eat it in leisure, dessert and more drinks... all in our pajamas! No waiter to ask if they can take the dish away, asking if we want dessert, walk back in the dark and the cold, slip sliding on the snowy sidewalk...

Now, I will do either, actually "all" type. They all have their own appeal, in different way. (Hotel with HB is now my favorite, provided the food in the hotel is good. It splits the difference between eating decent food and not having to put on a jacket and boots)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll have a more informed answer next week! Usually do HB or chalet board but tempted by the reviews of a particular b and b (Pension Enzian) and the fact that last year we were enjoying ourselves in town a couple of times when returning for dinner was a bind. So off to Saalbach tomorrow doing B and B for the first time......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

we were enjoying ourselves in town a couple of times when returning for dinner was a bind.

Exactly what we found when discovering Saalbach’s apres-ski scene - having to check our watches and getting back for dinner half-way through the entree course, still in our ski gear and singing silly apres-ski songs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr George wrote:
Read this with interest as we're doing B&B for the first time in a few weeks. After a tough year we planned a treat ski hol in 4* hotel so I researched, found one that suited but then found a similar package to a highly recommended B&B for about £1000 less. I reckon I can get some nice dinners for that much so we went for that.
Looking forward to being able to have different meals every night. We're going to Italy so the food will be good!! Maybe having a big lunch one day without knowing there's a big dinner at the hotel that night. Also as already said, half board options do mean you're stuck with the hotel timetable.
We've done chalets, hotels, s/c so will be good to try something different. The place seems to have a small bar attached so not too worried about only havvng one room - actually some of the s/c places we've had for 2 in France have barely been as big as a hotel room and 2 hotplates doesn't lead to great cooking!
Let's hope it's a good option

Dr George would love the details if you could PM me
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@marksovereign, We're going to Corvara and the Garni Bracun B&B was highly recommended by friends so have opted for that rather than the hotel we were looking at. Hopefully it will live up the expectations
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Austria is our venue of choice as there are so many Valley based options rather than being stuck in a concrete jungle on top of a Mountain. Self Catering usually best for non-skiers too.

Yes, we have had several non-skiers in our apartment - they've enjoyed being able to make coffee, snacks, have a beer from the fridge (beer on window sill = frozen, if the weather is half decent!). Would just point out that there are plenty of valley based options in France, too. Only a small minority of French resorts are concrete jungles on the top of a mountain. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Admittedly, my ski holiday days are done, but the one type of holiday I don't want is self catering. I just don't want to shop, cook and clean on holiday, I want to pay someone else to do it, whether it's half board or a combination of B&B and eating out.

This thread simply proves that we all have different requirements, hence the plethora of options out there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queenie pretty please, Preconceptions? Many of our s/c guests dine out (at reasonable prices) and never “shop, cook, and clean”, unless you count grabbing some milk and coffee as “shopping”. S/c can be anything you want it to be. The only things that are guaranteed are that (a) you can save money; and (b) you will have more flexibility.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr George wrote:
@marksovereign, We're going to Corvara and the Garni Bracun B&B was highly recommended by friends so have opted for that rather than the hotel we were looking at. Hopefully it will live up the expectations

You'll love Covara
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We normally do self-catering. It works out very well and is effectively no different to BnB just do the second B yourself. It doesn't take too long to boil a few eggs, make some toast, tea/coffee and juice. As a treat we might do bacon as well of even scrambled eggs Toofy Grin .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@halfhand, I never cook breakfast - a bowl of muesli, with some fruit and nuts suffices (followed by a gulasch soup for lunch).
However many of the mountain restaurants do a “skier’s breakfast”, usually until late morning. I particularly recommend the bacon and eggs in the Bergeralm at Saalbach, although the Alte Schmiede at Leogang, and the Montana Royal Alpin Club at Saalbach are also excellent.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand wrote:
We normally do self-catering. It works out very well and is effectively no different to BnB just do the second B yourself. It doesn't take too long to boil a few eggs, make some toast, tea/coffee and juice. As a treat we might do bacon as well of even scrambled eggs Toofy Grin .

It really depends on the individual.

I will happily prepare a simple dinner. But I don't want to "make" breakfast. I'm not a morning person! I HATE making breakfast.

When I get up, I want coffee. Not "making" coffee. (automatic timer-controlled coffee maker would do, if provided)

After coffee, I want food. Not "making" eatable food.

So, I'll either BUY, or go down to the breakfast provided by the B&B. But NEVER "make" breakfast. Boiling eggs? Only if push comes to shove. Scramble eggs? Forget about it!!! Bacon? Only if it's already cooked and on a plate. Very Happy

If I EVER want to "make" breakfast, I'm at home. Either getting ready to go to work or do my weekend chores. NOT ON HOLIDAY!

( I will do s/c though. Just my "breakfast" will be a grab-n-run from the bakery on my way to the lift)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc, I do recommend a bowl of muesli!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy