Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Helmet in hand luggage thread (Grenoble)...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone has taken a helmet through security in hand luggage this season. Judging by numerous past threads Grenoble had quite a strict policy in the past with no boots or helmets allowed. I’ve just emailed Grenoble airport direct and information desk responded saying it was fine to take helmets on board but Crystal ski website https://www.tuiski.co.uk/our-policies/terms-and-conditions/transport-information/ still says that helmets are not allowed in hand luggage at Grenoble or Chambéry.

I’m far more inclined to believe the email direct from Grenoble information desk but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience this season? I know in previous years there have been signs etc. at the airport saying No to boots and helmets in hand luggage.

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never had a problem with either helmet or boots in/out of Grenoble.

Still see people attach helmets to the outside of their hand luggage and they manage fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve always taken both my helmets and boots in hand luggage with no issues. Seen lots of other people in the same queue doing the same.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. I’ve never had a problem elsewhere and never even crossed my mind until I saw some of the threads regarding Grenoble...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fridge03 wrote:
Still see people attach helmets to the outside of their hand luggage and they manage fine.

I see those people too and it drives me mad. Having a rucksack on with a helmet swinging off is a real PITA for other travellers. As you are moving around your helmet is whacking other people, especially little kids.....grrrrrrr.

I always stick mine in my suitcase in the hold.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Corduroy wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

I see those people too and it drives me mad. Having a rucksack on with a helmet swinging off is a real PITA for other travellers. As you are moving around your helmet is whacking other people, especially little kids.....grrrrrrr.

But then how do mere mortals know you are going SKIING?

NehNeh Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been flying Home from Grenoble 6 weeks ago, and had my helmet strapped to my bag - no problem at all Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When anyone has questioned my helmet swinging around on my pack, I just stick it on my head and continue - had a few people object - only one got as far as me asking to see the written rule against...they gave up of course Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took my Salomon go 2 ski bag containing boots, helmet and alll my other ski gubbins as hand luggage last season through Heathrow T5 and Grenoble without any problem and plan to do the same thing again in 3 weeks. Nobody said a thing which I was most surprised about - with it being a rather large bag and fairly heavy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Corduroy wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

Not a good idea to put it in the hold, unless it's in a hard suitcase. You won't know what impacts its been subject to.

If you're being whacked by it, you are waaaay too close. There's what, 5-10cm length max in the straps for it to swing on? Should be wearing a different sort of protection of your own if you're that close wink

Unless you mean in the plane aisle when embarking/disembarking? I can't think of any other situation travelling where it wouldn't be very weird to be close enough to be whacked. Good etiquette generally is to take a backpack off before boarding with or without helmet, as it would be pretty close to sitting passengers' heads either way.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:

Good etiquette generally is to take a backpack off before boarding with or without helmet, as it would be pretty close to sitting passengers' heads either way.

When I'm in the front of the plane EG 1C or 1D you always end up whacked by people still wearing rucksacks. So I sit temporarily in 1B or 1E. Also on trains or busses take the blooming things off as well and hold at your legs (the narrow bit of the body).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would imagine it depends on the airline and their hand baggage rules, that said that is also down to the people working on the day you fly. I have seen staff check every piece of hand luggage for weight and size at check-in and boarding and also seen people get on with half of snow and rock in their hand luggage.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hand luggage is supposed to fit in one of those frames isn't it? Very few rucksacks with helmets swinging off them would do. Would have thought that is the airline rule?

Personally I've never been bothered by someone carrying a helmet onto a plane. Equally I hate having things swinging off my rucksack so I'd strap it down properly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Corduroy wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

Not a good idea to put it in the hold, unless it's in a hard suitcase. You won't know what impacts its been subject to.

If you're being whacked by it, you are waaaay too close. There's what, 5-10cm length max in the straps for it to swing on? Should be wearing a different sort of protection of your own if you're that close wink

Unless you mean in the plane aisle when embarking/disembarking? I can't think of any other situation travelling where it wouldn't be very weird to be close enough to be whacked. Good etiquette generally is to take a backpack off before boarding with or without helmet, as it would be pretty close to sitting passengers' heads either way.

Completely agree! Unless the bus/plane or whatever is completely empty I always try and take off my rucksack.

In the times I have it attached to bag it's only as my hand luggage is too full, I always try and pop it in there if I can.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The simple solutions to the jobs worths is to wear your ski boots and helmet until through security and if necessary until you board the aircraft. That'll teach them!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy