Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How old are your ski poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my first ski poles around 1976 at (Piero) Gros Sports in Sauze D'Oulx.

I still have them and ski with them. They've skied with me on every trip since then. I have an emotional attachment to them knowing that they been with me on every ski run I've done. They're bent, have new straps. I'm not likely to replace them.

Anyone else out there with an irrational attachment to equipment?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Ski Poles that I bought a couple of years after you. They were made to match the Lange SLS skis that I got on the recommendation of the SCGB. Lange made Skis!!!

The Skis were horrible and far too stiff for me - so I sold them to a heavier friend, but kept the poles.

The year after I got them - the SCGB brought out a review that said they were only suitable for heavy skiers. On that same test, they recommended a little known brand in the UK - Volkl - specifically the Renntiger model. These I got and loved, skiing them for many years.

The Poles have mostly retired from duty. They were replaced by Goode Carbon, which in turn were replaced by Leki Carbon ones, when a Goode pole snapped as I was getting off a chairlift (causing me to disappear over a banking).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-01-20 15:18; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My missus's poles have been with her most of her life. I think they are 30 years old.

They aren't bent but one of the straps regularly comes off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have some Kicking about that are older than me, had some form my first season 98/99 but lent them to a friend who lost them Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm impressed my current set have made it to about 3 years. Getting snapped or bent seems to be a hazard for the bloody things. Currently on 3rd set in last 10 years, all replaced through necessity rather than upgrade/change.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got mine with my first set of Rossignol skis, late 1980's. One got bent on the second trip, warmed it over the stove in the chalet and carefully bent it back into shape, just a little kink. Still using them. A few scratches, but no plans to relace them. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, I had a pair of Renntigers, for my first ski season, £100 from Olympus Sports in House of Fraser, Glasgow, cheap as few people wanted 203s and they’d mounted odd year graphics and the client rejected them.

Very nice skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my parents attic is a pair of Renntigers with about 3 weeks skiing on them, one day I might have a go on them for old times sakes.

Had some brilliant Kerma poles back in the day, funny bend near the handle, but bright orange so I was easy to follow in poor vis. No idea why I threw them away.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brianatab wrote:
I got mine with my first set of Rossignol skis, late 1980's. One got bent on the second trip, warmed it over the stove in the chalet and carefully bent it back into shape, just a little kink. Still using them. A few scratches, but no plans to relace them. Very Happy Very Happy

My Wife's ski poles are also Rossignol (mostly white). They were purchased in the mid 80s....in Portadown (NI).....just before a major riot. We escaped (with Skis [Dynastar Starflow] / Boots [Salomon SX ? / Rossignol Poles), just as it all kicked off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a set of Goode Carbon poles that I bought in 1999. I also bought two smaller sets as I wasn't sure which size I need - Mrs NBT has the middle sized pair still, and the smallest went to another friend. No idea if she still uses them as we haven't skiied with her for some time sadly
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not as old as some, but mine are reaching 20 years..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Fartbag wrote:
My Wife's ski poles are also Rossignol (mostly white). They were purchased in the mid 80s....in Portadown (NI).....just before a major riot. We escaped (with Skis [Dynastar Starflow] / Boots [Salomon SX ? / Rossignol Poles), just as it all kicked off.

"Officer, maybe the shop has its window smashed and is currently burning, but we bought and paid full price for these, honestly!"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For quite a few years my poles would not last long as I kept on bending them in wipe outs.
I ski more sedately these days and my last pair was quite elderly ( over 10 years but can't be precise maybe 20 can't remember) but everything was getting a bit frayed and I bought a new pair last year from Decathlon, so virtually new.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 9-01-20 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I had a pair of Renntigers, for my first ski season, £100 from Olympus Sports in House of Fraser, Glasgow, cheap as few people wanted 203s and they’d mounted odd year graphics and the client rejected them.

Very nice skis.

I went through a couple of pairs.....and then got some Volkl VP19 SLX cheap in a bomb damage sale in Belfast (only the tops were damaged by glass being blown in). I mounted them with the Marker Binding that had the 3 position "Gear Change" (Vario Flex?), that altered the stiffness of the ski (a little).

My original Renntigers were mounted with Salomon 747 and after that ESS v.a.r.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 9-01-20 16:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I won't know until I rent them, even then it'll be a finger in the air guess at best.

snow report
Orange200 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

"Officer, maybe the shop has its window smashed and is currently burning, but we bought and paid full price for these, honestly!"

Laughing

The shop owner heard what was going to happen, so once we were sorted, he closed early and we all did a runner.
latest report
Other stuff from the 70s/80s that I've been unable to throw out:

- Carrera Glacier sunglasses, with leather clip-on nose protector and side flaps. The lens has a centre strip that's lighter, as the darker top and bottom cuts glare from sky and snow.

- Bright yellow/white woollen Blizzard (in red) Headband

- Neon Pink "Wee Willie Winkie" style hat, with neon Yellow Cord and Tassel

- Leather (Dark Blue and White) Look Gloves, from the late 70s

- Phoenix Neon Green Jacket/Ski Pants

- Event Fartbag from the late 70s - as worn by Ali Ross (How we learned to ski).
ski holidays
Have had my Vielhaber poles since 1981, when they came with a new pair of skis. One of the leather straps has been replaced, both baskets replaced, one is bent, both are well scraped of paint. But I have grown rather attached to them.
snow conditions
Not yet one. Decided to experiment last year & downsized. snowHead
latest report
1984 for me but they have had quite a few baskets replaced. Local ski shop say they cant get replacements now and one basket is showing serious signs of wear so may need a diy bodge.
latest report
@dode, Vielhaber? Good lord, there’s a blast from the past. Gold flaked skis!
snow report
Not had much luck with ski poles lately. I use expandable/adjustable poles (ski-tourer) Bent the lower section of one pole so bought a new pair from Amazon but while skiing offpiste with these both baskets broke off. Went back to the old bent pair but one snapped while I was trying to demonstrate a strong pole plant. New pair are 3 weeks old.
snow conditions
Sfellows wrote:

Anyone else out there with an irrational attachment to equipment?

Not really, I like getting new stuff!
ski holidays
Poles, landed on my ancient one and bent it, but I heated it on the hob and straightened it. Same happened again a couple of years later but in the interim I had refurbed the kitchen. Can't do it on an induction hob Shocked
ski holidays
pateman99 wrote:
1984 for me but they have had quite a few baskets replaced. Local ski shop say they cant get replacements now and one basket is showing serious signs of wear so may need a diy bodge.

3D printer may be your answer.
snow report
do you really think a man with 36 year old poles will be using a 3d printer ! Knitting zip ties was first thought
latest report
Which pair? Since snapping my lovely BD flicklock I've reverted to salvaging old tough Alu from charity shop bins. Recently scored some Scott swordgrips which I'd always lusted after. Bit of a hassle with my mitts but will be great when the gloves come out.
ski holidays
pateman99 wrote:
do you really think a man with 36 year old poles will be using a 3d printer ! Knitting zip ties was first thought

Laughing

Quite right. "Make do and Mend" has nothing to do with 3D Printers......Channel your inner Heath Robinson.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Look" poles originally from George Fisher in Keswick
snow report
@endoman, "bright orange" Mrs U had a pair of fluo yellow poles that were so helpful when it was crap light to follow. When they broke (P20 Volkl branding, circa 1990) I had to scour Chamonix to find a surprise xmas pressie replacement...

@nbt, "I have a set of Goode Carbon poles that I bought in 1999" I am using a pair that I bought in 2001, still going after 18 x 50 days ...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@endoman, "bright orange" Mrs U had a pair of fluo yellow poles that were so helpful when it was crap light to follow. When they broke (P20 Volkl branding, circa 1990) I had to scour Chamonix to find a surprise xmas pressie replacement...

@nbt, "I have a set of Goode Carbon poles that I bought in 1999" I am using a pair that I bought in 2001, still going after 18 x 50 days ...

That's just reminded me, my Dad had some bright yellow Volkl poles to go with the Renntigers, bet they are still in the attic! Probably late 80's.
latest report
pateman99 wrote:
"Look" poles originally from George Fisher in Keswick

They must be as rare as Lange Poles.
snow report
@endoman, I still have a pair of white (with patches of bare aluminium) Kermas like that in the cellar. TBH, I'm not sure how much the link improved my pole planting and I prefer the modern slimmer handles. I confess to buying a discount pair of Leki Primacy Ride poles yesterday to replace my Salomon North Poles which cost me 5s of annoying strap faffing at the top of every lift. It adds up you know!
snow conditions
Sounds like Trigger's broom, 20 years old with new baskets, straps, grips and shafts Very Happy

I've an old pair of Goode composites too but both baskets have had it, 1 completely. Can't find replacements, even in the bits and bobs boxes of several shops here. I did pair the useable 1 with a similar K2 a couple of years ago, the other K2 was nicked, don't ask Very Happy

I've now got a really nice lightweight aluminium pair of Kerma touring poles which I bought reduced to 20€ from 70€ when I bought a pair of skis for my girlfriend's birthday 2 years ago.
latest report
@endoman, I still have my Renntigers in the loft and also fluorescent yellow Scott ski poles. Must’ve been mid 80s vintage.
snow report
nbt wrote:
I have a set of Goode Carbon poles that I bought in 1999.

Still using mine from 2000, the adjustable ones, still going strong Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@endoman, get them out of the attic! Mrs U's were P20s to go with her then (they are in the garage) skis...
snow report
On the Goode Pole front, the only bits I haven't replaced are the handles and the poles themselves. Theseus' ship comes to mind...
snow report
Here's my orange things, along with my Dad's yellow ones and the Renntigers, 1998 I reckon, me on some Salomon F3 or something like that in a 198. still have the top I'm wearing and pretty sure Dad's fartbag is around somewhere.

ski holidays
Quote:

3D printer may be your answer.

just discovered the joys of "shaft collar double split" which means I can virtually use any new replacement baskets and clamp above and below and pad out if necessary with tape.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy