Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you do Last Minute?

Poster: A snowHead
You know I've never booked last minute and was looking at something in either Feb or March for a week in Europe. I've always found deals very early on so basically just count the days (months usually)

SO what do I do?

I've looked at the TOs and nothing interesting or cheap. I'm a bag of nerves now as I fear I've ballsed it up. Do people wait until a week or so before? Wheres the best place to look at? Is DIY possible still?

So far I've checked;

Crystal
Skiworld
Sunweb
Iglu
Action Outdoors but that's overbudget for this particular trip.
Tignes Spirit for accom
EoSB is possible but some cant go that late

heeelp...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also check Inghams and Ski Total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you say “some can’t go late”. How many are you talking about? We used to do last minute when it was just the two of us. I wouldn’t do it for a group.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've always found AlpineAnswers.co.uk very good for indicating current availability across the market. That said, they don't necessarily update their availability *that* often so once you've identified a property use google to take you to the operator's website. Or you can ring them, I've always found them very friendly and more so than TOs, so weirdly better than booking direct.

Chalets Direct solution room is also good, and definitely DIY.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Booking.com and then drive?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, there's 6 of us and 3 can't go in April. Budget is £7-800 all in incl pass. Prefer a hotel/ chalet or B&B.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boredsurfin, too many of us to drive with equipment. Save that for next winter!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I have done it I have checked what flights are available to major airports - Zurich, Geneva, Lyon - then looked at resort tourist office web sites - booked accommodation - then booked flights, then sorted transfers. Quite a while since I have done it. These days Air BnB and the likes of Bens Bus should make booking accommodation and transport easier. If you have mates resident in resort they may have contacts for accommodation, and be able to give tips on transfers. I have never done this for more than two.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I booked my trip last week. Leaving this Saturday. I never book with tour operators - we always do our own thing, regardless what type of holiday it is. I quite like planning and booking the various elements. This time I'm driving with the family to Les Carroz so Eurotunnel was probably a bit more expensive then early booking but got accomodation for a reasonable price, probably as they are trying to flog off the last few rooms.

My last solo trip (to Praz de Lys) I only booked 3 weeks in advance and that was a BA flight + car package. They are worth checking out too as you can frequently get your flight and car for around the same price as the flights on their own. That time I booked a hotel right next to a lift about a week before I left and it was €80/night.

I'm planning another solo trip to Praz de Lys in March this year and still dithering over taking my own car or doing another BA flight + car package. Not much in it cost wise and if I'm on my own I'll easily do the trip in one hit driving. Will sort either an AirBNB or look to book the same hotel again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feb is peak season so unlikely to get that number last minute. March is possible- good luck you are much braver than me!

All our previous last minutes have been week before Christmas, first week in Jan (after the new year week) or second week of April. Generally the low season weeks which they struggle to fill.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You will need to be flexible to get 6 people. And that's a tight budget for a catered option - as is proved by the fact that Action Outdoors, one of the cheapest options for all-in, is too expensive! On that budget an apartment and self-catering is likely to be the best option. If you have B & B having to buy all your evening food and drinks at bar/restaurant prices might break the bank - being able to stock up with supermarket beer and wine, in your own fridge, is likely to make for big savings.

If looking at France the next couple of weeks likely to be the best bet - four week French hols from first week of Feb to first week of March. And yes, the week before is the time to book last minute. Booking now for mid - late March is most definitely not last minute.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sunweb seem to have some half board in Austria for march around £700 but availability for six appears limitef
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wait till March - start looking a week or 2 before you want to go
Ive always booked last minute, (catered chalets only) even for 6+ never been a problem as long as you are flexible about where you go. (we always go to 3 vallys, paradiski, val d'isere)
Look at the 'smaller' independent travel operators who offer flights as well.
Also look at independent chalet operators - some will have good prices for March which may balance out the cost of flights/transfers.
Alpine answers very good option

Ive yet to book a group of 8+ into a catered chalet for the 2nd busy half term week!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about the last week in March? Would you consider that a quiet week too?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have you looked at SilverSki? I've not used them but my husband and his mates have done, it might have some deals and from what I remember they said about prices, might meet your budget.

We've also got other friends who have just used Alpine Elements and managed to get a good deal for Christmas week (sub £600 in La Plagne but not inc a lift pass) so they might have some options too.
snow report
As we have self driven several times over the last few years it's always been sorted well in advance however this year we've just (3rd of jan) booked the first week in Feb in Kitzbuhel for four of us through Crystal as we're longer bound by the school holidays.

I suspect that if the gods are on our side a late feb week for two might be on the cards and that "should" be fairly easy to leave until a week or so before.
ski holidays
@Gainz, AlpineAnswers, Igluski, Ski Solutions, are usually the go-to late deal sites. Cheekytrip.com have really great late deals, but you've got to check that they exist. AND really wait until the LAST MINUTE, that is up to a couple of days before departure.
latest report
My experience in 2018 was that the likes of Inghams and Crystal did not discount hotels even with a day to go presumably as they don't pay if no one takes the room and they can either sell the flight seats or take the marginal hit. The bargains were with catered chalets but most did not include flights.
latest report
You'll be unlikely to find any real bargains now for Feb or March, you need to wait until the week leading up to departure for the best bargains.

March will be more fruitful than Feb which is High Season, though they do come up.

Catered Chalets or Chalet Hotels is where you'll find the best deals, as they need filling.

Finding space for 6 is going to be wayyy harder than for 2, you will have to be very flexible on resort choice.

Saying that, if you see something pop up that fits the criteria & budget, jump on it quickly!

I used to get them for £250-£350 5-10 years ago when I used to go with my mate, but I reckon with the weak pound plus inflation, you'll probably need to pay £400-500pp now (flights, transfers, chalet board).

Check out what's available for this weekend 11/12 Jan to give you a feel of where the pricing is at, though early/mid Jan usually has the cheapest deals of the season. I reckon you will pay more in Feb or March, unless it's right at the end of March in a resort where the snow is retreating fast.
snow conditions
2016 - Booked a package holiday with Crystal (who themselves booked with Ski Solutions) less than 24 hours before flight was due to depart. Clearly you need to be flexible with this option incase it doesnt work out. Thankfully in our case it worked a treat and got a £1000pp holiday for half price - you just need to haggle on the phone with the rep. Catered chalet, flights, transfers included.
snow conditions
One thing to add... I booked during February half term in 2016 so i guess there were more cancellations with school holidays etc perhaps
ski holidays
Forget diy for a really cheap last min deal, by the time you've added transfers which are no cheaper at last min....
Best deals Last min are with TOs like Silverski where the flight & transfer are part of the package.
I would also forget last min for a group of 6 as many good deals have limited spaces unless you are flexble on dates & able to change work hlls at last min.
latest report
@Gainz, start trawling the chalet operators direct pages, some starters on websites like this:

https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/accomm.htm
snow report
As others have said, works best off peak, a week or so ahead of time.

And for a bigger group probably better to book early.

Anyhow, you are where you are. So can your friends do an off peak week? If so, then just see what comes up a few days before.
ski holidays
Last time I booked last-minute I did it on NYE and flew on the 2nd, so fairly close to the wire.... Neilson were great in terms of info and getting all the relevant (and clear) info over rapidly via email. Worth a try.

Try Chalet Chardons in Tignes Les Brevieres - really good company to go with although you have to DIY your flights and transfers. They always have little offers on the go to make sure chalets are filled up.
latest report
try here as well http://mountainsunltd.com/ski-chalets/
ski holidays
i"ve done last minute quite a few times, first point of call is the flights, as i always fly from bristol if all the flights are booked up on the day i want to go then thats the end of it, so assuming there is a flight the next thing is just to ring up people, i"ve always done chalets and most chalet companies will try there hardest to fit you in, in fact one year a company called skibug opened up a whole 15 bed chalet just for me and my friend.
snow conditions
Thanks guys I've checked a few recommendations but still quite over priced at the moment. Found a lovely chalet via latania so thanks kitenski, but still coming in over a bag. Just need to hold my nerve and see what happens...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gainz, just spied this on another thread https://www.skiboundholidays.co.uk/cheap-ski-packages/ this might just do your budget.
snow report
Add ‘ski beat’ to the list as well, they don’t usually make offers through Iglu. £800 should be possible it you can make it towards the end of March
snow report
Just checking the chalet/HB package deals on Iglu for the next couple of weekends...start at 269 for Andorra, cheapest deals are for Andorra & Bulgaria, Alps start in the 400s, Avoriaz at 438, La Plagne at 499, choice really opens up in the 500s, nice chalets in Val d'Isere & Val Thorens at 599.
latest report
We once booked a hol with Neilson at 6pm on a Saturday, and flew out 6am on the Sunday. There were brilliant, all well organised.
latest report
I have used Interactive Resorts a few times.
snow report
How many of you are there planning on going on a last minute trip? The fewer the better.

We booked last year's week long catered chalet trip with Alpine Elements (they have a LOT of chalets, hotels etc across the Alps and are a big TO), which included flights, baggage, transfers and catered chalet in Meribel 2nd week of March 2019. We paid about £800 each, having booked about 4-5 months in advance.

When we got there, there were two guys who had booked 4 days before coming out, who got all of the above for only £400-450.

It helped that there were only two of them as a lot of chalets have a few spots open, as most people who travel don't end up filling the whole chalet (in ours, there were 4 different groups - 4 of us, 2 of them, another couple an a solo traveller), and they will let them go for super cheap last minute in order to fill up. So plenty of time left yet.
latest report
Ski total currently shows Chalet La Vielle Forge in Courchevel 1850 for £ 230 per person... reduced from £ 1229 !

26 Jan . Various airports. Chalet board. Transfers inc.

https://www.skitotal.com/chalets/chalet-la-vieille-forge/

The food will be terrible but at that price I wouldn't worry.
snow conditions
sheffskibod wrote:
Ski total currently shows Chalet La Vielle Forge in Courchevel 1850 for £ 230 per person... reduced from £ 1229 !

26 Jan . Various airports. Chalet board. Transfers inc.

https://www.skitotal.com/chalets/chalet-la-vieille-forge/

£230 from Manchester, £1229 from Glasgow, £1328 from Newcastle, £230 from Stansted, £1229 from Gatwick !!!

Weird
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:

I don't know, the gap year student might have got to grips with the menu after a month or so, esp after food-poisoning incident with the Xmas turkey!! Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
andyrew wrote:

£230 from Manchester, £1229 from Glasgow, £1328 from Newcastle, £230 from Stansted, £1229 from Gatwick !!!

Weird

You'll be flying from Manchester then, sir!

It could be a misprice, but it went all the way through to payment stage when I just looked.

All 4 rooms available.
ski holidays
Rocket ski always seemed to be quite good for late bargains, they only fly from Gatwick, Luton and Manchester though
latest report
Yeah if it’s a £1200 chalet normally the food should be decent. Plus it’s Courchevel 1850, isn’t that the Russian oligarch’s favoured ski destination?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy