Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traveling with ski's in Austria (Salzburg)

Poster: A snowHead
Might be a bit of a daft question, but we are doing our first DIY holiday to Austria and were planning on catching the bus from Salzburg Airport into Salzburg then catching the train.

Does anyone have any experience of how realistic this is with ski's in tow? Well aware if you can do it anywhere in the world it would probably be Austria, but thought I'd ask anyway.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gartcoshyy, people carry skis around in Salzburg quite often, you won't look out of place. The trains even have luggage areas for skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure what issues you might have, it is hardly an unusual sight to see folk wandering around with skis and boots or mountaineering kit in summer. There is often not much space for bags on the trains so that might be more of a pain depends on what sort of train. The local regional ones are often easier as a good deal of the time not many people on them. Getting bikes on a train in the summer can be stress when lots of other folk have the same idea!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've traveled by train with skis and a large bag in tow a couple of times in Austria, the really isn't any problem. Just chill..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gartcoshyy, Did it no problem at all. Bus from the terminal, then train to Zell lots of room on both the bus and train for skis etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ClanChief wrote:
@Gartcoshyy, Did it no problem at all. Bus from the terminal, then train to Zell lots of room on both the bus and train for skis etc.

Ideal. Thanks very much!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
not difficult with bags and skis on the bus from airport to train station then onward to resort ,some villages have busses that leave directly from the airport, if flight time works, depends where you are going but check the village tourist office , weve done it to both saalbach and gastein no problem ,trains seem to run on time whatever the day or weather or have when weve used them.the other advantage is cost against taxi or hire car
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, did this last Sat - flew into Salzburg, bus to the train station and train to Innsbruck. All fairly straightforward. The only small hassle is that neither bus nor train had space for skis, so they lay on the floor of the bus, and I set them up on end in the area between 2 carriages of the train.

(no matter how many times i type it, carriage always looks wrong!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How much space there is could depend very much on when you travel.
e.g. I travelled on the overnight train to St Anton from Vienna on Sunday 15 Dec. It was very full and we had to put the skis on one bunk while the two of use slept on the other. On the way back on Christmas Eve there was loads of space.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A bit of haßle on the bus as it has no real storage space, just standing space, and have to hang on to bag and skis. They like to fling the bendybus around corners as a sort of balance test. Usually ok at airport but gets quite busy as you get closer to hauptbahnhof. Never had a problem on train. Most stations have lifts but not kirchberg Im tyrol
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Railjet trains I’ve been on don’t seem to have much dedicated space but the overhead racks will take a double ski bag. If you’re travelling on an EC train, they do seem to have dedicated storage at the end of some of the carriages; I hang the end of my ski bag vertically off the bike hooks on the ceiling.

On the buses I’ve been on, there is a storage area in the middle (a bendybus) with loops to strap your skis vertically in place. TBH, I find it easier than a car.

Use the OBB app to buy your train ticket and reserve your seat, look on the board at the platform (either a poster or a live screen) where your carriage number will stop on the platform and straight on to the right place for your seat. Station announcements on the train are in German and English. All easy and efficient.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Done it before on the local trains (regional and REX) no problems. I don't know the current position but there used to be a very cheap group ticket for 2-5 people anywhere within Austria on local and regional trains (not Railjet). From memory the cost was about 35euro for 2 people up to around 50 for 5. Depending on your resort this might be much worth looking into.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Col the Yeti wrote:
Done it before on the local trains (regional and REX) no problems. I don't know the current position but there used to be a very cheap group ticket for 2-5 people anywhere within Austria on local and regional trains (not Railjet). From memory the cost was about 35euro for 2 people up to around 50 for 5. Depending on your resort this might be much worth looking into.

Sounds like the "Einfach Raus" ticket - it's only avaiable at certain times (non-Peak)
https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/schueler-gruppen/einfach-raus-ticket.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Space and seats are often at a premium on the Railjets or other express trains, booking a seat using the app is highly recommended. The overhead racks are often full so dont count on putting ski bags there, there are some luggage racks but not big enough for skis. There are dedicated bike storage spots which should be available in the winter for skis but bikes have priority (bikes are charged for). The local regional trains, say Salzburg to Zell are usually far less busy and so much easier with bags and skis as you can simply spread out on adjacent seats.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all your help folks.

Appreciate the genuine responses folks.

Weve bought the einfach raus ticket on the ÖBB app as we are travelling to Zell am See on the REX then on to Neukirchen on the little Regional service from Zell to Krimml. Can't reserve seats but hopfully shouldn't be too busy on a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again folks. Can see how it goes. It's just significantly cheaper than a taxi as there aren't any transfers to that valley!
snow report
Well traveled from Salzburg to Neukirchen by trolley bus, regional train and local train. Smooth all they way! Bus from Salzburg Airport into Salzburg was a breeze with a big area at the back of the bus for luggage (also prams and wheelchairs), Salzburg Hbf very easy to transit, lots of overhead storage space on the REX train to Zell am See, then lots of space on the Local train to Krimml.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy