Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg over New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

I can get decent Avios flights to Zurich over New Year (can't for Geneva - and, besides, I've had two years in a row with rubbish snow in the Northern French Alps), so am looking at resorts that aren't far away from Zurich with public transport as it's just 2 of us.

Engelberg seems the best option apart from, say, St Anton (been there a lot recently so less keen).

What is it like in terms of a 3 night 3 day break? No desire to go off piste, although I know it's good for that, as I'll have Mrs BB with me.

Main areas of interest are km of piste, ease of walking to lifts and finally queues...

Cheers

BB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a fan of Engelberg but I would comment that while the pistes are generally in very good condition due to it being high, North facing, and in a good area of for snowfall, the pisted area does feel small compared to many of the big French resorts. Excluding the Brunni side you can ski everything in a day easily. Also, if your wife is not a fan of off piste then she may not be a fan of the often (possibly always?) unpisted black that links the runs on the glacier to the lower runs and while you can avoid it doing so would be annoying due to having to download from the glacier. I don't want to put you off going but you should be aware that you will probably end up lapping the same (generally very good) runs a lot which probably conflicts with your number one area of interest: km of piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

two years in a row with rubbish snow

Because, you know, that's significant... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RAMBOTION, thank you. Might look at St Anton then!!

Under a new name. Would you tickle a cat a third time after it bit you twice Wink

Ps. It's 3 now for Morzine. Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-07-17 13:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have heard good things about https://lenzerheide.com/en/winter/ski-area and I gather it has lots and lots of snow making . Might be worth having a look at.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't bother with Engelberg if you're not off-pisting.

Arosa/Lenzerheide, Davos/Klosters and Flims/Laax amongst many others are all within easy travelling distance of ZRH and well worth visiting, snow and overdraft limit permitting.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Badbobby, the same cat, no. Different cats, maybe.

Winters are independent.

Mind you I wouldn't necessarily expect snow in Morzine at xmas.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, I know and agree. However, I would be furious if it didn't snow there again. What separates oomans from dem robots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd wrote:
Don't bother with Engelberg if you're not off-pisting.

Arosa/Lenzerheide, Davos/Klosters and Flims/Laax amongst many others are all within easy travelling distance of ZRH and well worth visiting, snow and overdraft limit permitting.

Are these around 2hrs by public transport though? Kind of need that to get a bit of skiing on day 1 (early flight out) and then most of the day on the lats day (21hr flight back to UK).

Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Badbobby wrote:
Are these around 2hrs by public transport though?

Yes. The Swissies have been going tunnel building crazy over the last few years with significant reductions in train journey times. The Zimmerberg Basistunnel out of Zurich is your new friend in this instance. https://www.sbb.ch
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So let's summarise - Lenzerheide is 2hr20 with 2 changes (albeit the first is always Zurich central). Davos 2hr30 (2 changes). Flims 2hrs - looks good and the mountain seems to be called Crap, which is an added bonus.

Trying to get it to 2hrs so as to maximise skiing on days 1 and 4.

Googlemaps usefully shows lots of lifts etc at Valbella, linked into Arosa and a 2hr transfer - might be a winner, non? Any comments on this area?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stay in Klosters instead. Nicer village, accesses the same mountain as Davos, closer to Zurich.

Valbella is in the same area as Lenzerheide/Arosa.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Klosters looks a mission by train... 2hr40 inc 3 trains and a bus! Sad

What about using a town as a base and getting buses to a couple of resorts?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Badbobby, I don't remember it needing a bus to get to Klosters, you go though it on the train to Davos.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just been looking on the SBB website for the all the options - happy to be corrected of course - Dr Google-von-Map also seems to agree.
snow conditions
Badbobby wrote:
Klosters looks a mission by train... 2hr40 inc 3 trains and a bus! Sad

What about using a town as a base and getting buses to a couple of resorts?

It's about 2hrs 10mins. Search for trains to Klosters Platz which is the main station in the village.
ski holidays
@hd, ah ha - I just worked that out as I checked it - SBB is very literal in that if you say a town it seems to think that the main station isn't good enough and then get naother bus!
ski holidays
Just to jump back into this...

Thanks for the advice thus far. My only question remaining is that it's meant to be a relaxing 3 nights away from our young children, so having nice digs (unusually for me) is more important than the ski area.

As it stands, I can get (imo) a nicer hotel in Engelberg for less money than in Klosters. Is the latter significantly better as a ski area, bearing in mind we'll be doing 2.5 days of skiing and long lunches etc.
latest report
Badbobby wrote:
As it stands, I can get (imo) a nicer hotel in Engelberg for less money than in Klosters. Is the latter significantly better as a ski area

For piste skiing, yes. More variety, more kms and fantastic long runs back down to Klosters. The previous comments about the Engelberg pistes are very much correct. However where you go depends on how high on the wish list for your holiday the quality of the piste skiing is. If it's at the top then Klosters over Engelberg every time. (or Flims/Lenzerheide etc)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-07-17 21:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@hd, thank you so much again. Just to clarify you mean Flims/Lenzerheide are both much better than Engelberg for piste skiing?
ski holidays
yes x100
latest report
@hd, emphatic!
latest report
@Badbobby, if you want fantastic accom on the slopes then I'd recommend this place in Stuben http://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/

Although will many (any?) places take a 3 day booking over New Year?
latest report
Quote:

Although will many (any?) places take a 3 day booking over New Year?

A very good point.

There is possibly the best pizza in the world opposite Davos station...
snow report
Hotels.com shows a few, but not many. Enough choice for now. Fri to mon is clearly not ideal and I expect to pay a premium, sadly !
snow report
Also worth looking at Arosa if you prefer the train to resort option instead of bus. Now linked to Lenzerheide/Valbella.
latest report
Have done both Engelberg and Arosa/Lenzerheide many times, both on relatively short breaks. You can get to Engelberg in two hours, 15 mins by public transport but you have to factor in flight arrival times coinciding with trains from the airport railway station. Arosa, Lenzerheide, Davos etc all require a short change at the main Zurich railway station. The best I've done on the 6am flight from Heathrow is on the chairlift in Arosa at 12.30pm.

As for the 'black' from the the Titlis glacier to the rest of the Engelberg pistes, it's not a black but designated an itinerary. Definitely never pisted and left to the twin devices of nature and skiers!

Hotels in Arosa and Engelberg have always been happy to do short breaks at no extra tariff.
latest report
Update.

Thanks for all the input. My avios points cleared this morning so I've booked the flights to Zurich and booked up an overpriced hotel in Klosters for 3 nights.

Can't wait!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everyone.

Thought i'd bump this thread as I started it (ages ago!) and it discussed Arosa etc and has some interesting info on other resorts that people might want to read...

Arosa/Lenzerheide/Valbella - where's best to stay - looking at booking it for New Year week.

Thankee

BB
snow conditions
If planning on staying in Arosa, you can stay in hotels in Inner Arosa which is handiest for the Hornli gondola but is much quieter. Or there is the area around the Obersee lake which is the best for the Weisshorn cable car. There are some large and fairly swanky hotels down towards the Untersee. Some accommodation is situated in the main drag between the main lift stations - they can involve some uphill walking or using the frequent ski buses. The most convenient is, perhaps, the Arosa Vetter hotel which is next door to the Tschuggen Ost chairlift.
snow report
@LOTA, thank you.

What’s Arosa like vs Valbella? Also, how are they for snow over Xmas/new year?
snow conditions
Much bigger, I think, with more hotels, restaurants etc.

As for snow, who knows? Arosa sits at 1800 metres so the chances are good for Christmas/new year snow but it is, of course, in the lap of the gods!
latest report
Ha, yes, agreed. But one has to give oneself as best a chance as possible!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy