Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pain with my boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I’m 1.65m (5’5), 80 kg (176 lb)
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx prime 100 that I bought in France (a boot fitter made it custom).
I didn’t go ski last year because of an injure, so I’ve decided to go for a dry run (ski simulator).
1) I have found out that my left shin really hurts when I flex my leg with the boot (even when no skiing). And I don’t know what do with that..
this is how I flex and when it hurts the most
And this is where it’s hurts the most

2) After I ski for a whole day, my calves are hurt and I don’t understand why because I don’t ski in the backseat and my instructor confirmed that..

3) when Ive skied in the dry run (and even when
I’m with the boot on for a while with buckles closed), my left leg feel numb ( like falling asleep ) after a while.. I’m afraid that maybe the boot pressure against my calves or something?
Here are some photos how the boot is on my leg
sometimes I feel a pressure in the rest circules, maybe it cut off the blood to my leg so it feels numb?

I know that it’s hard to say from remote, but will greatly appreciate any help!!
Thank you very much in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had similar, for me it was due to the hard plastic overlap from the tongue of the liner.
Wraparound liners provided an even hold and allowed better buckle adjustment

Did the boot fitter a wraparound mouldable liner like this:
https://www.theski-shop.co.uk/191004/products/intuition-power-wrap-replacement-ski-boot-liners.aspx
Also Palau do one
https://palau-ski-boot-liners.com/?lang=en
as do Dalbello
https://www.dalbello.it/en/liners/

If its been a while, maybe muscle tone and fitness have contributed?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw these 'Ski Bootorials' on you tube. I thought they were interesting.
This one is on foot cramping.

http://youtube.com/v/v-T9ULecfwo
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your calves are hurting then there's a chance the boot is too loose around the shin.

This is going to sound obvious, but are you doing them up properly? My dad was complaining the other week about shin pain but turned out he had the tongue outside the shell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowboarded here so I know very little about ski boots, however, my wife occasionally gets boots hurting on her shin after long day skiing, she swears by some stick-on-skin gel pads! This is only for awkward pressure points and doesn't solve correct fitting and doing them up right. Good luck in solving your issue.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am far from an expert, so am thinking out loud:

- I assume you know how to do up your boots and had no problem skiing when you bought them
- Are you now less fit, due to your injury?
- Could your injury have effect your shin?
- Is your lower leg size the same as it was?

The following may (or may not) help:

- Use massage/roller/stretching and trigger point therapy to loosen out Shin/Calf/Achilles/Sole of foot
- Strengthen Calf (heel raises) and Shin (Toe raises)

Remember, a tight muscle is a weak muscle.

Other options: visit a good Bootfitter to check boot and a good Physio to check your lower leg.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 7-01-20 14:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:

- I assume you know how to do up your boots and had no problem skiing when you bought them Yeah, but I remember that 2 years ago the boot wan't perfect at all.. It was better, but I can remember that my shins where hurt as well. And I also remember that my leg was felt asleep after 1 hour of skiing.
- Are you now less fit, due to your injury? I workout a lot, cycling and I go to the gym for wright lifting, but since my last time of skiing (2 years ago) i've gained ~8kg of weight, now i'm working to loose that weight to my original ~70 kg weight
- Could your injury have effect your shin? nope. The injury is in the right feet and the left shin is my main problem. Also, i can say that I feel that it's really hard for me to flex in the left leg, but when I
flex (as seen in the pictures), iI feel something hard against my left shin, like a plastic.

- Is your lower leg size the same as it was? Yeah.

- Use massage/roller and trigger point therapy to loosen out Shin/Calf/Achilles/Sole of foot

Other options: visit a good Bootfitter to check boot and a good Physio to check your lower leg.

Thanks for the reply. Please see my answers in bold.
Maybe my calves are too big for the boot? What do you think from the pictures that I have attached?
thanks!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
If your calves are hurting then there's a chance the boot is too loose around the shin.

This is going to sound obvious, but are you doing them up properly? My dad was complaining the other week about shin pain but turned out he had the tongue outside the shell.

I don't think it's too loose. The opposite is the right, look at the pictures, maybe my calves are too big for the boot? Because it feels very tight with my calves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beny992 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

- I assume you know how to do up your boots and had no problem skiing when you bought them Yeah, but I remember that 2 years ago the boot wan't perfect at all.. It was better, but I can remember that my shins where hurt as well. And I also remember that my leg was felt asleep after 1 hour of skiing.
- Are you now less fit, due to your injury? I workout a lot, cycling and I go to the gym for wright lifting, but since my last time of skiing (2 years ago) i've gained ~8kg of weight, now i'm working to loose that weight to my original ~70 kg weight
- Could your injury have effect your shin? nope. The injury is in the right feet and the left shin is my main problem. Also, i can say that I feel that it's really hard for me to flex in the left leg, but when I
flex (as seen in the pictures), iI feel something hard against my left shin, like a plastic.

- Use massage/roller and trigger point therapy to loosen out Shin/Calf/Achilles/Sole of foot

Maybe my calves are too big for the boot? What do you think from the pictures that I have attached?
thanks!!

From your answers, it does sound like a Boot Fit problem, leading to a Blood Flow problem.

It looks to me (and I could be quite wrong), that the boot may not be wide enough to accommodate your calf properly - this needs checked by a good Bootfitter, who can properly diagnose the problem and won't use it as an excuse to sell you another pair of boots, if you don't need them.

If anything, the Boots are imo too soft for your weight - so something is wrong if you find it hard to flex the left Boot and feel something hard against your shin.

I am 10 Stone and 5'10", a reasonably decent skier and ski the Atomic Hawx (not Prime) in a 110. They are the most comfortable. yet decent fitting Boots that I've owned.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
beny992 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

thanks!!

From your answers, it does sound like a Boot Fit problem, leading to a Blood Flow problem.

It looks to me (and I could be quite wrong), that the boot may not be wide enough to accommodate your calf properly - this needs checked by a good Bootfitter, who can properly diagnose the problem and won't use it as an excuse to sell you another pair of boots, if you don't need them.

If anything, the Boots are imo too soft for your weight - so something is wrong if you find it hard to flex the left Boot and feel something hard against your shin.

I am 10 Stone and 5'10", a reasonably decent skier and ski the Atomic Hawx (not Prime) in a 110. They are the most comfortable. yet decent fitting Boots that I've owned.

Thank you so much for your help!
I think that you are right. IMO it seems that my calves has not enough room in the boot..
It's really weird that when I flex the boot I feel something hard.. It's in the lower shin (Ive posted a picture showing exactly where it's) and my tibialis anterior hurts as well at this spot..Sad
Do you think I need a new boot? How should I know if t he boort fitter just want to sell me a new boot or I really need a new one? Because the previous one looked very professional, and we did several boot fitting sessions..

Thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beny992 wrote:

I think that you are right. IMO it seems that my calves has not enough room in the boot..
It's really weird that when I flex the boot I feel something hard.. It's in the lower shin (Ive posted a picture showing exactly where it's) and my tibialis anterior hurts as well at this spot..Sad
Do you think I need a new boot? How should I know if t he boort fitter just want to sell me a new boot or I really need a new one? Because the previous one looked very professional, and we did several boot fitting sessions..

Thanks!

All I can say, is that you may need new Boots - but you don't want to spend the money, only to find it's not a Boot problem.

If you state where you live - or what resort you are going to - then you are likely to get recommendations.

If you are anywhere near Bicester - give Colin (CEM) a ring @ S4F

The advantage of doing it in Resort, is that you can get any needed adjustments through the week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Fartbag wrote:
beny992 wrote:

Thanks!

All I can say, is that you may need new Boots - but you don't want to spend the money, only to find it's not a Boot problem.

If you state where you live - or what resort you are going to - then you are likely to get recommendations.

The advantage of doing it in Resort, is that you can get any needed adjustments through the week.

I'll go to Avoriaz (France) this month, I hope that I'll find a decent boot fitter there.. Where I live there is no boot fitter..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beny992 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
beny992 wrote:

Thanks!

I'll go to Avoriaz (France) this month, I hope that I'll find a decent boot fitter there.. Where I live there is no boot fitter..

If you don't get a recommendation for a Bootfitter in this thread - Start another one asking about recommendations for Avoriaz (or possibly Morzine)....and a link to this thread, to give context.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Might be of interest - Decathalon are doing a cheap aftermarket mouldable wraparound liner
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ski-boot-liners-evofit-id_8543114.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy