Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Battered man in need of assistance

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if anyone has skied Alpe d’Huez with children as I’m copping some flack at present and the lack of information online isnt helping reassure my mrs all will be fine.

We are staying in Vaujany with kids 4 6 8 who can all ski because of the age of the smallest or possible time we are going Esf vaujany are only offering half days with lunch meaning our style will be cramped from lunchtime.

We are exploring taking them across to the main Bergers ski area, but looks like a bit of a hike, not really worried about any of the kids doing the short red section from the top of the main cable car, just on likely time it may take to do this jaunt and ifs it’s possible to make ski school over there in good time from the first lift.

Any suggestions welcome to avoid world championship pan fighting.

Thanks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mods if this needs moved to trip/resort reviews please do
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Post it here and one of the locals will know.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know the times exactly but I doubt it, busiest time for the cable car and also if it's windy you will have no chance because the second leg of the cable car may be closed. You would then have to go down to OZ and up to Alpe d'Huez on the poutran lift. You could try ESF OZ as it's quicker and you only need the first cable car up and then either download on the alpette or ski down to OZ.
You don't want to ski at all with your kids ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We do last day with the cherubs and I normally take them out after ski school if they still have any energy left for a few laps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thx white gold have done that skitow will look at oz too thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I haven’t been in about ten years but I would have said that ADH is a great resort for beginners and kids. The majority of the lower mountain is wide open and not very steep so very suitable
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He's had his chips Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ledge, gotta say Vaujany wouldn't have been my choice of location with young children in tow. Oz would have been better. And may still be in terms of ski school. As skitow says it's easy enough to get to.

I'm slightly confused though why how the Vaujany ESF thing ruins your plans. Timing wise what does "half days with lunch" mean and how does it restrict you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I assume your issue is the limited skiing close to Vaujany, so you would be doing the same runs over and over after lunch, while over in Alpe d'Huez you'd have that whole bowl of blues to play in?

If so I think you'd struggle to get everyone up, out of Vaujany, across Oz, up to d'Huez, and down to the ski school meet points in time if I'm honest.

As skitow suggested Oz might work. Much more achievable to get everyone to the ski school meet on time each morning and after lunch it's just one gondola up to the top of the d'Huez blue bowl. Though I think the Oz morning sessions might all be booked up for half term already.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Wondering if anyone has skied Alpe d’Huez with children as I’m copping some flack at present and the lack of information online isnt helping reassure my mrs all will be fine

? Why does your mrs think that if it's not fine, it'll be your fault? Did you decide about where to go without involving her? If that's the case then it's still not all your fault - it's her fault too, for being so supine. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toofy Grin thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ledge I've never skied AdH with the kids but I've stayed in Oz four times without them. I think at those ages, you might find your Ad'H approach would cause Mrs ledge to reach for for the heavy skillet. Since you have a lack of information, I'll try to provide too much. A lot depends on whether "4 6 8 who can all ski" means "confident on reds in variable conditions".

Plan A if it's not too windy... you take both stages of the Vaujany-Alpette-Rousses cable car. I've only caught it once from the bottom, mid afternoon (La Fare was open!), so I've no idea about queues, but the cars are full when they get up to Alpette even on non-holiday weekends and you have traffic merging from Oz. Therefore, you need well drilled children, no lost mitts, unplanned toilet stops, etc. At the top, you might find "not too windy" is "quite windy indeed": the Petites Rousses is very exposed and you have to yomp sixty metres or so to find a fall line. You then have a choice of easy (IIRC) reds to the top of the Grand Rousses gondola then a red or steep blue down to the greens in the main bowl and thence the ski school.

Plan B, if the top of the Alpette is closed due to wind... you ski from there down the red (l'Alpette) to the bottom of the Poutran gondola (which will have a queue by then) and take both stages up and you're at the top of Jeux which is one of the main greens. However, if it's been warm the day before the bottom of l'Alpette could be quite nasty and there's an option to go right onto the blue (Chevreuils) which brings you to the wrong side of Oz Station. Then you need to find your way across above the village to the bottom of the Poutran... easy enough to do (it usually has snow) but it's not pisted or signposted. If you're lucky, you can ski down the main road through the village: don't bank on that.

If it were me, I'd be stressed if conditions and/or children weren't co-operating. If they are in Vaujany ESF you lose all that hassle and risk of missing a lesson and you have 3 hours+ so you can get anywhere and back in that time (I'm assuming this because kids are good enough to attempt Plan A or Plan B and you are good enough for them to cramp your style). The skiing above Montfrais in the afternoons might be fun with the kids: mostly steepish blues and they don't seem to get too much wear. The chairs are not express, but your kids are tired, so that's OK. Is a stress free morning worth a gentle but somewhat repetitive afternoon?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, @tsgsh, that is a fabulously comprehensive reply to the OH!! And rather more helpful than mine....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, yours was funnier though. Very Happy Mrs. H says "we're going to Galtür" so she passes your test comfortably.

Seriously, though I've had lots of useful help from Snowheads and felt I should take the opportunity to give something back.
latest report
Thanks great posts and most helpful
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy