Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways have lost my ski clobber - help please

Poster: A snowHead
I often fly to resort with my ski jacket in my case.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robs1 wrote:
No wonder some companies want proof of invoices etc when folk are quite happy to commit fraud and go on an unnecessary spending spree, and why the hell would you fly to a ski resort airport without wearing a jacket ?

Are you accusing me of fraud?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BA lost my husband’s luggage through his being a man and not listening to me. He flew into gatwic and out of heathrow without getting is luggage. It was lost for a week. We were told to get what we needed. Everything we bought was covered, they covered more for any receipts we may have lost and upgraded us too. Luckily the lady who dealt with the initial claim worked her last day we flew out!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WASHOUT wrote:
I often fly to resort with my ski jacket in my case.

As do most distinguished snowsportsmen/women Blush Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robs1 wrote:
why the hell would you fly to a ski resort airport without wearing a jacket ?

Having a jacket in an airport is hassle and realistically you don't need it. Between check in and collecting bags how long do you actually spend outside? Maybe 5 minutes on a bus? So you're carrying a bulky ski jacket for several hours so that you can maybe wear it for a few minutes. I'd far rather pack it and just have a hoody or jumper in the airport and on the plane.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robs1 wrote:
No wonder some companies want proof of invoices etc when folk are quite happy to commit fraud and go on an unnecessary spending spree, and why the hell would you fly to a ski resort airport without wearing a jacket ?

I've read this again.

"ski resort airport"?

You're a moron of the highest order.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Robs1, why the hell would you fly wearing bulky hot ski jacket when you can pack it in the case?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robs1 wrote:
...and why the hell would you fly to a ski resort airport without wearing a jacket ?

Same reason people get to the airport for their return flight without the means to buy a meal, or they board a flight without a snack or even a bottle of water. They assume that if something goes wrong, someone will provide for them...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sean1967 wrote:
robs1 wrote:

I've read this again.

"ski resort airport"?

Unnecessary. The "fraud" bit was not aimed at you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@Robs1, why the hell would you fly wearing bulky hot ski jacket when you can pack it in the case?

He could be a sensationalist clownshoe, possibly best ignored.

I've taken refuge in the pints, lovely Hacker-Pschorr Marzen in Luiskeller.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon wrote:
sean1967 wrote:
robs1 wrote:

I've read this again.

"ski resort airport"?

Unnecessary. The "fraud" bit was not aimed at you.

Have you quoted the wrong post?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Leon wrote:
robs1 wrote:
...and why the hell would you fly to a ski resort airport without wearing a jacket ?

Same reason people get to the airport for their return flight without the means to buy a meal, or they board a flight without a snack or even a bottle of water. They assume that if something goes wrong, someone will provide for them...

People who put their ski jacket in their bag are akin to people who appear at airports without the means to buy some food? (I've yet to meet this heinous bunch)

You're clearly another absolute roaster Red Leon.

You at Gatwick with your elasticated combats and apocalypse primed multitool, aye?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sean1967, would you like my hand luggage list? Toofy Grin Seriously, I learned the hard way.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@sean1967, would you like my hand luggage list? Toofy Grin Seriously, I learned the hard way.

No thanks, I'd like my boots, helmet, baselayers, goggles and gloves! Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sean1967 wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

No thanks, I'd like my boots, helmet, baselayers, goggles and gloves! Little Angel
You'd have them if you'd had my list. wink
ski holidays
@sean1967, hope it all works out and that you're reunited with everything tomorrow. Smile
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@sean1967, hope it all works out and that you're reunited with everything tomorrow. Smile

Cheers amigo.

I hope it all appears, piste looks magic out there. snowHead Little Angel
latest report
@sean1967,
Quote:

piste looks magic out there

That's the important thing.
snow report
Deleted list Happy

@sean1967, Hope your bags turn up but you should be able to get a reasonable amount of kit to continue your holiday and bill BA or your travel insurance or bank account insurance policy. In addition, if booking flights with credit card check that as well. You nay find that he CC covers you for that. They always throw in lots of sweetness for people to take out a card but most people only remember mobile phone insurance included.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 6-01-20 12:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, he said he didn't want the list. wink Yours is, give or take, the same as mine.
latest report
Quote:

Yours is, give or take, the same as mine

And mine, as I plan how to pack for my first "flying" ski holiday in a very long time. Normally I travel with cabin baggage only whenever possible but that's not going to happen this time. I can get my boots in my cabin bag, plus some other essentials and will be wearing my jacket. My helmet won't fit in the cabin bag, but I can rent one of those with skis, if my big bag goes astray. Or ski in a bobble hat, like in the olden days. I also always have a book. Just like I always have water, emergency chocolate rations, a spare wheel, the means to change it and warm clothes in the car. And if in the mountains in winter, snow chains, an old tatty jacket, a shovel and plenty of fuel!
ski holidays
I am quite tempted to point hubby at this thread as I always get moaned at for how much I insist we carry through the airport and why can’t we just travel light and put it in the hold!
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
robs1 wrote:

Are you accusing me of fraud?

Not you, but several posts in this thread have made it clear that people went on a spending spree buying stuff they didnt need and better quality, a bit like personal accident claims for "whiplash" spurious claims cost us all money
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Yours is, give or take, the same as mine

And mine, as I plan how to pack for my first "flying" ski holiday in a very long time. Normally I travel with cabin baggage only whenever possible but that's not going to happen this time. I can get my boots in my cabin bag, plus some other essentials and will be wearing my jacket. My helmet won't fit in the cabin bag, but I can rent one of those with skis, if my big bag goes astray. Or ski in a bobble hat, like in the olden days. I also always have a book. Just like I always have water, emergency chocolate rations, a spare wheel, the means to change it and warm clothes in the car. And if in the mountains in winter, snow chains, an old tatty jacket, a shovel and plenty of fuel!

Pam, simply attach helmet to the outside of your bag, I've never been pulled for it and if there were any objections I'd put it on!
ski holidays
sean1967 wrote:
robs1 wrote:

I've read this again.

"ski resort airport"?

Classy
ski holidays
It’s happens a few times to us in the past flying into INN including earlier last year. You should have been given some documents by the luggage handling agents situated at the desk to the left before you exit the baggage area which will include the tel number of the company responsible for getting luggage back to you. They should know exactly where your bag is in the system as it’s scanned along the way. My friend was able to claim back his ski rental. The year before we had a could of cases deliver by courier to Serfaus later in the evening. It’s a common occurrence at INN and they know how to deal with it. I believe the location of runway between mountains requires additional aircraft weight precautions.
latest report
Quote:

They should know exactly where your bag is in the system as it’s scanned along the way.

This depends heavily on the airline. BA's outsourced system (world tracer) has never worked like this in my experience. Typically world tracer gets updated (from "awaiting info" or something like that) around the same time you actually get your bag. The helpline has no more info than world tracer.

A couple of years ago when BA lost some skis of mine, world tracer still had no info even at the point the skis were in a taxi on their way to me.

You can get bag trackers (or use a Tile) if you're really obsessed about knowing where your bag is all the time.
ski holidays
This reminds me of the time I was sat on a transfer coach as it made its first 'drop-off', only to see my bag being carted away ; It seemed my bag had been dumped roadside so another bag could be removed, the 'culprit' thought it belonged to one of his group, so just picked it up. Luckily I had seen what was going on - imagine what my thoughts would have been if I had arrived at my own Hotel 'sans' luggage.....!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
muddewater wrote:
while you can hire boots, helmet and skis , try hiring ski trousers, jacket, gloves and goggles. Good luck .

Funnily enough, one of our friends forgot their jacket pre-season in Verbier and one of the shops around Medran hired her one for 10 CHF.
snow conditions
sean1967 wrote:
I'm sans scantaloons, not a spare pair of jacks to my name, sockless.
I'll be minging by mañana.

Back to front, inside out, inside out back to front. That's three days covered. On the foot front you're right, you'll be minging
latest report
To the OP one of our group was in the same situation arriving in Friedrichshafen on a BA flight last year - rest of us had our bags but not him. Quick chat with someone baggage-side confirmed no more bags coming from our flight so through in to arrivals and speak to the baggage info desk. We were earlier in the day so able to speak to BA on the phone and they confirmed:

1. Both the airport handling agents at Friedrichschafen and they had the lost bag report, issued him a tracking number, and had our accomodation address.
2. That he was on a ski holiday and so "essential expenditure" DID include:
- Clothing (inc. ski jacket/sallopets/socks/etc).
- Hire of ski boots (as he had his own boots and they were in the missing bag).

Sat. afternoon was spent doing some very expensive shopping (we were in Ischgl).
Sun. was spent skiing in new kit.
Sun. afternoon saw a call to say bag was now with the couriers and would be delivered the next morning.
Mon. saw him joining us for lunch in all his own gear.

"Essential expenditure" would NOT cover buying new boot - you bag is just delayed at the moment, not lost. If the bag does turn out to be lost hen it's declared as such by BA you can go to your travel insurance and make a claim to cover new boots (or at least part of the cost depending on the single item limit on your policy).
snow report
Quote:

try hiring ski trousers, jacket, gloves and goggles

I once did that, with a colleague with whom I was driving across North Island, New Zealand. We were working, driving from Auckland to Wellington, due to have dinner at the British High Commisioner's in Wellington. Mount Ruapehu, a volcano, was soaring above the sheep-dotted plain, covered in snow. In the distance. I persuaded my colleague, not a skier, that we should detour. We had only summerish clobber, as we were based in Fiji, but were able to hire ski trousers and jackets, and walking boots, at the base of the mountain. A friendly Kiwi gave us some sun screen in the bus up from the car park. We rode up the mountain for a coffee, then my colleague decided he'd like to try skiing so we rented the rest, had an hour or so on the beginner rope tow, then drove on, arriving very late.... I had to phone and say we'd miss the dinner and blamed my faulty navigation and underestimating the time the drive would take us. Sat at the conference table the next day very happily aware of the DOMS in the arm I'd used to go so many times up the rope tow. It was very a civilised set up (or was, till Ruapehu erupted big time the following year).

Yes, @marcellus, maybe I should hitch my helmet to my bag. And hitch my wagon to a star! snowHead
ski holidays
@Marcellus my two BA carry on bags (economy) are maxed out to dimensions, I always felt hitching my helmet to outside was just taking it a step to far. I get the feeling last week BA is clamping down on hand luggage, a few people in geneva where marched back to measuring pods with baggage and I got a lot of questions at heathrow on way out about only ski gear in the ski bag ie no clothes etc which is contrary to BA website.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-01-20 12:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
@Marcellus my two BA carry on bags (economy) are maxed out to dimensions, I always felt hitching my helmet to outside was just taking it a step to far. I get the feeling last week BA is clamping down on hand luggage, a few people in geneva where marched back to measuring pods with baggage and I got a lot of questions at heathrow about only ski gear in the ski bag ie no clothes etc which is contrary to BA website.

That’s is surprising about the ski bag... given I am now cramming 4 pairs of skis into the ski bag I no longer have clothes but certainly have in the past and as you say - in line with their website
snow conditions
WASHOUT wrote:
@Marcellus my two BA carry on bags (economy) are maxed out to dimensions, I always felt hitching my helmet to outside was just taking it a step to far. I get the feeling last week BA is clamping down on hand luggage, a few people in geneva where marched back to measuring pods with baggage and I got a lot of questions at heathrow about only ski gear in the ski bag ie no clothes etc which is contrary to BA website.

I fly to and form Geneva a lot on BA and never had an issue having my helmet attached to my rucksack which is my smaller (personal) piece of hand luggage and I also have a roller case with boots inside. This is very common practice now.
latest report
This happened to my Mum when she flew out at Xmas to Geneva. They wheeled her to me and then said, bag not here, come through into the baggage area and go into the baggage handling office and get in line. Took some time but quickly realised that a lot of people on the same flight were not getting their bags (many same as you +9degrees in Geneva so people had packed the big coats). All bags were sent on the next flight later that day. We completed the from with the baggage staff, so they had our address + email + phone numbers. I could then get updates as they emailed me the portal info and I entered my code. They delivered the next day before 2pm and we are an hour away from Geneva.
ski holidays
My skis were left off a BA flight last year due to a belt breakdown. I must say I was very happy with the way they resolved the issue my skis were couriered to the resort for me although arriving 4 days into holiday. I had hired skis for first four days and I sent a claim into BA who replied by return saying money had been credited to my account. I am certain they would have delivered the skis sooner but it was impossible to get any sort of response from Turin airports baggage handling over a weekend and the holiday day that followed.
ski holidays
Did a central Asian ski trip a few years ago. Flying with Pegasus a boot bag containing boots and a few other items of clothing was lost. Owner of the bag was asked to give an address (fortunately we had a contact in the capital), but they couldn't be sure when it would arrive and we were planning on crossing the border to the next country the next day. There was little hope of renting any semi-decent equipment at the resorts so the owner of lost bag grudgingly replaced everything in the capital before we left.

The bag got dropped off at the address given (not exactly sure when as we were elsewhere). When we got back to UK email was sent to the airline, who said send the receipts with a letter explaining what happened and which flight we were on. Sent it off not expecting much (we are not talking about a 5* airline). They refunded everything, which came to more than the flight cost!

I'm not suggesting to take advantage, but based on my experience I would say there's a good chance BA covers any reasonable costs. Of course in your case reasonable might mean renting, which couldn't be done with us.
ski holidays
There're travelers. And there're holiday makers. Different objectives, different attitudes.

Travelers are travelling with a specific purpose at the destination. They will typically have 2 days' worth of "irreplaceable essentials" in their hand luggage. Could be jackets, undies, or boots and gloves, or their contact lens and medications. That way, if the checked luggage went astray, the traveler can continue with their original objective at the destination while wait for the rest of their luggage to catch up. Typically, this is LEARNED from past experience, of their own or their travel companion's.

Holiday makers will "travel light" by chucking all their "unneeded" (for the duration of the transit) belongings to the care of the airline. They are on holiday. Why not make it as pleasant as possible? And if the luggage don't arrive, they'll simply change the nature of their holiday (for example, a shopping holiday? Or a drinking holiday!) for part of the time!

Different purpose, requires different approach, which will yield different results. All are well.

What's not well, is to bitch and moan about the change of their holiday yet refuse to adapt accordingly. Because Dr. Murphy is always in charge. It could happen again!
snow report
abc wrote:
There're travelers. And there're holiday makers. Different objectives, different attitudes.

Travelers are travelling with a specific purpose at the destination. They will typically have 2 days' worth of "irreplaceable essentials" in their hand luggage. Could be jackets, undies, or boots and gloves, or their contact lens and medications. That way, if the checked luggage went astray, the traveler can continue with their original objective at the destination while wait for the rest of their luggage to catch up. Typically, this is LEARNED from past experience, of their own or their travel companion's.

Holiday makers will "travel light" by chucking all their "unneeded" (for the duration of the transit) belongings to the care of the airline. They are on holiday. Why not make it as pleasant as possible? And if the luggage don't arrive, they'll simply change the nature of their holiday (for example, a shopping holiday? Or a drinking holiday!) for part of the time!

Different purpose, requires different approach, which will yield different results. All are well.

What's not well, is to bitch and moan about the change of their holiday yet refuse to adapt accordingly. Because Dr. Murphy is always in charge. It could happen again!

We always put our kids hold luggage even though we fall in the traveller category. Strangely they always arrive on time NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy