Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor course or…something else?

Poster: A snowHead
@rjs, even "any" team doing speed training... Do any non-national squads head down to Chile for the summer? Who knows?

Not entirely sure where you would do speed training in the Valley, the only DH track being somewhat in use, most of the time. Not entirely sure how you ever do speed training? Is it just a question of get started (typ as a child) and you race/improve/race till you hit some sort of limit? Hey ho. Was only throwing it out as a thing to ask.

@abc, Many, many reasons why you wouldn't progress in a season, as stated one, not skiing because of working, two not skiing because of snow. Both of those kind of suggest he didn't really do a season..., but I am putting words in @boarder2020's, text box.

My point was that I haven't seen anyone who has put the time effort and dedication into that sort of effort not reap the rewards.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, I can't imagine how bad the snow was that he didn't get to ski much. With a structured progression program, a strip of man-made snow is all that's needed to progress quite a lot. However, if one was not in any kind of program, that COULD be the culprit.

But again, I don't know what the real issue of the OP was. But clearly he had TWO disappointing "season". So there's a desire not to repeat it.

Then again, perhaps the OP did progresse during his 2 seasons, but not as much as he wouldn't have like. So it's a fair question whether doing a structured program, with added focus on understanding the mechanics of skiing and a decent amount of supervised practice, might not be a valid alternative.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 7-01-20 21:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc, indeed.

I believe I progressed thru my seasons because I was motivated, had a lot of time on snow and I think I'm quite good at copying what I see others doing. I also had done race training at university which gave me a technical knowledge background, without so much practice. I knew "academically" what I ought be doing and what the outcomes ought be.

That didn't work for; bumps, took a very particular analysis and lesson for that, a few years after my last season: or powder, which I couldn't really "properly" ski until a full week's experience in BC.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you speak Spanish? Having done a ski instructor course, general instruction and race training, I would go for race training every time. It’s the best way to pull apart you skiing and get the fundamentals right and the most fun. I would try to find a club/group that is training and join them. You don’t need the high speed stuff, just GS and slalom and you don’t need much snow. A good race trainer will include skiing in variable snow and off piste as it helps learn to “feel” the snow. Plus you will have the bonus of a ready made group of mates.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Forgot to precise, but work obligations means that my season will be during the summer, so I'll be in Chile or Argentina (probably Bariloche). As such, there are very limited options regarding ski schools that do intensive weeks, as that kind of option is mostly restricted to the US/Europe/NZ (perhaps).

These guys https://siaaustria.com/ski-instructor-courses/ do an annual version of their instructor training in Argentina. I've had a good few group/private lessons from a couple of their instructors and found them to be excellent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BertieG, I’d agree, and submit that if you have base technique right, which racing demands, then, e.g., bumps, powder, steeps, etc. are all readily added on.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
@under a new name, I can't imagine how bad the snow was that he didn't get to ski much. With a structured progression program, a strip of man-made snow is all that's needed to progress quite a lot. However, if one was not in any kind of program, that COULD be the culprit.

Practise might make perfect but often makes permanent, if someone starts off skiing with poor technique years of skiing around can make someone who is more confident and faster... with poor technique. It also helps to ski with people who are better than you to push you to progress.

Personally, without going back in time as the above poster said, I would find a local club if possible. I really regret not having done it myself much earlier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It also helps to ski with people who are better than you to push you to progress.

I've not found much success in that.

Worse, chasing people who ski FASTER (or braver in hacking their way down tricky terrain) but not necessarily "better" does nothing for me.

The only time I found helpful to "follow" others is to explore terrain I'm not familiar with.

I ski with others for companionship, conversation, and sharing of good times. But not much success in "learning" or technical progress. (though the exception being, if I already have the "skill", a pointer or two in the "tactic" of applying the right technique for particular situation does help)

Most of MY improvement in skill came from clinics and purposeful practice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For me, being able to teach myself is what made the biggest improvement in my skiing.

The skills to do that came from learning to be a race coach and then being able to apply movement analysis to better skiers to work out what I should be doing myself.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, I can easily see that working.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd look at what Rookie Academy in NZ has to offer if it's appropriate to your ski level given some of teh world's top technical skiers coach there.

some detail from a fan here

https://www.pugski.com/threads/new-zealand-advanced-training-takeaways-2019.16295/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, why did you remind me of the "masters" concept? As if I didn't have enough distractions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it depends on the individual.
For me, the idea of learning how to teach kids to put their boots on and snow plough would absolutely kill my interest in the sport. I can't think of anything I'd less like to do, especially on a powder day.

Race training sounds like a better approach.
Like doing track days in race cars, rather than learning to teach beginners how to do three point turns and obey the highway code.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

For me, the idea of learning how to teach kids to put their boots on and snow plough would absolutely kill my interest in the sport. I can't think of anything I'd less like to do, especially on a powder day.

It doesn't matter what it is, on a powder day, you don't want to be doing "it". You want to ski, and ski YOUR choice of lines!

Don't think it's any better for race training. Do you really want to be dashing around gates on a powder day?

I have no children of my own. Never thought I'd be too fond of them. Teaching little kids snow plowghing was something I thought I'd "endure" on my way to teach higher level skiers. I didn't count on the infectious smile of little kids when they managed to snake their way through the traffic cones on the bunny slope. And turning a crying kid into a smiling kid? Priceless!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
Don't think it's any better for race training. Do you really want to be dashing around gates on a powder day?

Gates don't stay in if you try to set them in powder, you just take the kids powder skiing.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Quote:

It also helps to ski with people who are better than you to push you to progress.

I've not found much success in that.

Worse, chasing people who ski FASTER (or braver in hacking their way down tricky terrain) but not necessarily "better" does nothing for me.

Ski "better", better technically, who are examples to emulate.

If you simply equate better with faster you should maybe join the French eurotest board Happy
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

If you simply equate better with faster you should maybe join the French eurotest board Happy

The French clearly thought that's an important aspect of "good" skiing!
ski holidays
@abc, or a handy means to aid protectionism?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@abc, or a handy means to aid protectionism?

only work if French instructors skier faster than British instructors.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy