Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to buy my own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
ise wrote:

Quote:

On a sintered base the wax is absorbed by the base, hence my reservations about storage. A warm, dry room will do the wax layers in a sintered base no good at all, i.e. to address your specific point the base is most surely permeable.

Exactly. And that's why I always keep mine with a thick layer of wax on during the off-season. I've no choice as to where to keep my skis: they have to live in the warm, dry spare bedroom.

Actually, the concept of an off-season has almost disappeared, now, thanks to the ease with which I can get to Piz Castleford snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Acacia wrote:
ise wrote:

Quote:

On a sintered base the wax is absorbed by the base, hence my reservations about storage. A warm, dry room will do the wax layers in a sintered base no good at all, i.e. to address your specific point the base is most surely permeable.

Exactly. And that's why I always keep mine with a thick layer of wax on during the off-season. I've no choice as to where to keep my skis: they have to live in the warm, dry spare bedroom.

Actually, the concept of an off-season has almost disappeared, now, thanks to the ease with which I can get to Piz Castleford snowHead

well, not exactly then Very Happy It's my understanding that sintered bases absorb wax, multiple applications are better than a single one. "Over application" of wax prior to storage is still a good thing though.

As for off season, I thought that was now, I've not been out for weeks personally Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For whatever its worth I have waxed all of my skis now. Next time when it rains and I can't turn the way I want then I can blame the water getting into skis.

For the artificial snow (in a snow dome) using a different type of wax, aren't we pushing it a bit too far?

How often do punters wax their skis? I only wax mine if lucky once a year but some seem to wax theirs everyday (not talking about for competition purposes).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee wrote:
How often do punters wax their skis? I only wax mine if lucky once a year but some seem to wax theirs everyday (not talking about for competition purposes).

I think I probably do mine about every 4 days on average, that means after a couple of weekends, after a long weekend or longer break. One or two times a season I have them done at the local ski shop in Morillon particularly if we're there for a week or so but also because the guy doesn't charge me very much.

I don't always do a "full service" though, sometimes I just wax them or just edge etc, it depends what the conditions of the day are.

In fact, I'm just about to rip our wine cellar apart to improve the ski service area, we've only had the house since Nov' and some more workspace and illumination is needed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much the same as ise. Though in certain conditions and after a long day and a lot of miles there's not much wax left, so I find properly prepared skis are a big help in keeping up with the heavier skier on flat sections. I try to clean (dewax) them regularly too, not much point applying wax in the first place if all the pores are full of old wax/dirt. The kids do theirs after each day's skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
I find properly prepared skis are a big help in keeping up with the heavier skier on flat sections.

Are you calling me fat ? Very Happy I was just pulling away on the flat sections though....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of course not! I'm just slimmer than most!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG & ise

This obviously means for a two-week trip I have to bring a waxing iron along? I have one those skis some Snowheads here describing as wearing 20 condoms. I can see a bit of wax could help on flat slopes to reduce the self propulsion but as a slow skier the wax never do anything for me. I lose the new and smooth feeling soon after a couple of runs.
I am sensitive to people calling me fat too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a separate 'ski room' with the studio so it's easy to prepare skis if you do bring an iron/tuning gear to BSM. It helps in obtaining a better glide, but also it's easier to initiate turns, and waxing/cleaning mean the bases last longer, all the muck/oil etc can do some damage and well-waxed skis repel the pollutants. Early in the season the snow can be pretty hard, so good sharp edges are pretty important....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last time we were in BSM (not even two full months yet, time didn't fly this time!) a German couple staying in the same hotel drove around the various resorts with a huge 4.2 litre turbo diesel Toyota Amazon carrying 2 sets of skis each (inside the 4x4). Think I settle for bringing just the iron with me this time because I got only two legs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee wrote:
PG & ise

This obviously means for a two-week trip I have to bring a waxing iron along?

The cold application or spray on wax is better than nothing at all. If we're away for a couple of weeks then I tend to have them done professionally, I do a reasonable job but a pro' is still better and they've some tools I don't have. Also the ski room at my flat doesn't have power so using a wax iron isn't possible.

However, my new ski room here is taking shape nicely Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
You know how a lot of us have one good side and one sh&t side: we turn better one way than the other. Well I am sure your smiley has real problems with his right turn. I think he lifts the front of his right ski up. Any one else see this, or is it the mushrooms I had for lunch? Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could be right! More worried about Saikee's though, he's not looking where he's going, and is haring down in a stright line with little respect for other piste users. I thought he said he was a slow skier Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That sums up right about me. Don't know how to turn. Just manage to get out at the last second. Good skier likes PG can do the magic short turns and come down the slope in no time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks fellow snowheads! snowHead

Your advice has helped me make up my mind, I'll be looking carefully in the next few months for the skis that suit me best.

Cheers. Cool
snow conditions
I don't need to worry about how to store mine this summer as some scum bag stole them from my ski locker in Flaine Crying or Very sad

Still at least it close to the end of the season and means I get to go shopping at the start of next season with no guilt; those Volkl 6 Stars are just crying out to be bought Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
RichardB, you won't regret it. AFter a couple of false starts I bought some at the beginning of the season, and they sre much better than hiring. Also, if you arrive early in the day you can hit the slopes instead of heading for the ski shop.
snow report
saikee wrote:
For the artificial snow (in a snow dome) using a different type of wax, aren't we pushing it a bit too far?

If you have any normal wax on your skis at my local snowdome you hardly go along. Its like really, really sticky snow (but without the other attributes) and has put off many people from going to Xscape because they think the snow is cr*p. I'm told it's because of the chemical additives.
I tend to just take off the wax (if there is some on) but Wear The Fox Hat feels this leaves the bases open to damage from exposed Dendrix showing through on the lifts. Personally I just steer around any bits I see, if any.
latest report
snowball wrote:

I tend to just take off the wax (if there is some on) but Wear The Fox Hat feels this leaves the bases open to damage from exposed Dendrix showing through on the lifts. Personally I just steer around any bits I see, if any.

I think he's right, I was reading something about this the other day; I'll post the link if I can find it.
snow conditions
snowball,

I was using my older pair soft carvers fully waxed. Didn't notice anything different in Castleford. The trip didn't wear the wax off though but then I am a slow skier. Have to admit everytime after servicing by shops professionally the skis do feel like new to me on the slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy