Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chair lift cover: down=wimp up=macho

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone noticed this?

Generally, say 4 people get on it. Generally, most of them want the cover down, especially if it is cold, snowing, etc. But often there is one skier who wants it UP. He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down. And he knows nobody is going to argue with him.

Usually his profile is predictable Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A little bit like putting the safety bar down on some chairlifts in the United States!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Down every time . And heated seats please.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chair lift cover ? what's that ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always ask before pulling it down and only would if it's blowing a gale or snowing or both. I've never known anyone try and stop it.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 24-01-20 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dowb only if it's howling or snowing. And someone sticking his arm out won't stop me
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Down can crush your kneecaps if you're tall and it's pretty claustrophobic. Rule 5 unless it's really ripping out there. It's an outdoor sport.

plus there's the small matter of snapping people's poles if you slam it down...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it is meant to be an outdoor pursuit? I prefer it up if the conditions are anything except howling wind with driving snow.

But I wouldn’t deny anyone wanting it down nor have I seen anyone else do that.

Whats the profile? Smoker?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down

Bruise his arm. Why wouldn't you use the cover if one's available in bad weather? If he wants to be the hard man, he can always tour up.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally if it's snowing I prefer to actually feel the weather and enjoy feeling small in the storm (if it's just windy pull it down 'cos F that), but if someone is cold or just wants it down for whatever reason I'd never stop them. Definitely good to check with or at least make eye contact and warn other people in the chair before pulling it down though - the hoods often get uncomfortably close to kneecapping many people in a normal seating position so you have to pull your legs in first.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I'm usually on the lift with the family, if my other half wants the cover down, then it's down. I'm just the muscle.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a couple get on a chair lift with me one day. End of season, warm, sunny, no wind. Cover comes down, no choice. Like a friggin sauna going up
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Stevens wrote:
Anyone noticed this?
But often there is one skier who wants it UP. He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down. And he knows nobody is going to argue with him.

Let me guess - no helmet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any idiot can be uncomfortable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Down in anything but wonderful sunny weather! I want to keep warm and conserve energy for what really matters, getting back down!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Peter Stevens wrote:
Anyone noticed this?

Generally, say 4 people get on it. Generally, most of them want the cover down, especially if it is cold, snowing, etc. But often there is one skier who wants it UP. He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down.

No, never seen it happened.

Never had anyone refuse the bubble down. Never mind physically block it.

Granted, I only thinking of bringing it down when it's cold/windy/snowing. When it's nice and warm, EVERYONE wants it up!
snow conditions
"Let me guess - no helmet?"

That's a good start, yes. Good hair and a great suntan. Rugged appearance; the type who does Everest for a break.

Or, often, it is an instructor.
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
Anyone noticed this?

Generally, say 4 people get on it. Generally, most of them want the cover down, especially if it is cold, snowing, etc. But often there is one skier who wants it UP. He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down. And he knows nobody is going to argue with him.

I suspect I don't fit your profile, but I hate having the cover down. I find it very claustrophobic. I also like to be able to see the mountains and am often looking at the piste I plan to ski. After all, half of the fun is being in the mountains. It has to be either very windy or raining for me to think the cover is a good idea.
ski holidays
The point I would make is that if it is say -10C and windy, a lot of people are going to get pretty cold. It is selfish to demand the cover UP "for fresh air" as one big bloke demanded (and obviously got) in some place I was in. I've just been skiing in -20C and still you get one bloke who demands the cover UP.

One can see outside well enough. One cannot get usable photos; when I wanted to get pics and the cover was down I would ask the others if it is ok to pull it up for a bit and they have always been ok with it.
ski holidays
@Peter Stevens, If you want to carry an angle grider with you to grid out bits of the cover that cause physical discomfort and even pain to fellow passengers then have at it. Otherwise I suggest you're the one being selfish.
latest report
So far this season, only once has anyone put the lid down - and it was entirely unnecessary being a nice sunny day. I did nothing. Life's too short to worry about such things.
snow report
abc wrote:
Peter Stevens wrote:
Anyone noticed this?

Generally, say 4 people get on it. Generally, most of them want the cover down, especially if it is cold, snowing, etc. But often there is one skier who wants it UP. He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down.

No, never seen it happened.

Never had anyone refuse the bubble down. Never mind physically block it.

Granted, I only thinking of bringing it down when it's cold/windy/snowing. When it's nice and warm, EVERYONE wants it up!

+1
snow conditions
Got on the lift in Saint Martin this summer at the height of the heatwave. Accidentally pulled the cover down along with the safety bar. Wouldn't go back up until I got to the top. Think I lost about 2kg in one lift ride.
snow report
this is definitely a first world problem
snow conditions
There's only 1 lift here with covers and not every one, 1 in 4 I think. I once reopened one after 3 lads closed it then 1 started smoking.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
it's pretty claustrophobic. Rule 5 unless it's really ripping out there.

You could turn that on it’s head. snowHead
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
But often there is one skier who wants it UP. He sticks his arm out to block the others pulling it down. And he knows nobody is going to argue with him.

Given that no-one else seems to have experienced this but it happens to you often are you sure this 'one skier' isn't a member of your party? Toofy Grin
snow report
It's more about aerodynamics than comfort if it's windy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The locking bars are a problem, and people will eventually learn not to bring them down, in order to prevent being locked in. So, they are actually counter-productive if some committee decided they would be safer. rolling eyes
latest report
Think the only time someone has insisted on keeping the lid up, when it's freezing wind, is when it's some filthy sod gagging for a fag. And I've lifted the lid up once when the steaming alcohol fumes of the totally wasted fellow chair rider was unbearable. Christ knows how many he'd drunk for lunch. His legs certainly weren't going to work at the disembarkation point.

I think I've had more SIT-SLAM people that are so desperate to get the safety bar down that not everyone has even managed to sit on the chair properly, and everyone's skis are still sliding on the embarkation area!
ski holidays
A lot of the stations in Austria instruct you to pull the covers down when it is snowing to prevent snow build up on the empty seats. It can get a bit wet on the heated seats too.
latest report
Sitting in an open chair is the time to look and see why you've paid thousands of £s to be up a mountain, the awe and the wonder of nature's indescribable beauty.

Also, with the hood down the other people (probably flippin foreigners! rolling eyes) can hear me madly chuntering away to myself. Shocked
ski holidays
Well... I'm normally the one who is against bubble... unless it's snowing. Being under 0c is not really reason to close that damn bubble. It's damn hot under it, so no it's not fun to sit under that poo-poo. If it's too cold, stay inside. And yes, I do have helmet, really short hair, and I haven't smoke a single cigarette in my life. As for suntan... well... spending some 100 days on snow and high in mountains by now only in this winter, brings some tan, but I wouldn't be bragging with it. So no idea if I fit your profile or not, but I'm certainly going to object bubble going down in anything but snowstorm.
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
The point I would make is that if it is say -10C and windy, a lot of people are going to get pretty cold. It is selfish to demand the cover UP "for fresh air" as one big bloke demanded (and obviously got) in some place I was in. I've just been skiing in -20C and still you get one bloke who demands the cover UP.

One can see outside well enough. One cannot get usable photos; when I wanted to get pics and the cover was down I would ask the others if it is ok to pull it up for a bit and they have always been ok with it.

I agree, only a complete back bottom would do that.
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
Well... I'm normally the one who is against bubble... unless it's snowing. Being under 0c is not really reason to close that damn bubble. It's damn hot under it, so no it's not fun to sit under that poo-poo. If it's too cold, stay inside. And yes, I do have helmet, really short hair, and I haven't smoke a single cigarette in my life. As for suntan... well... spending some 100 days on snow and high in mountains by now only in this winter, brings some tan, but I wouldn't be bragging with it. So no idea if I fit your profile or not, but I'm certainly going to object bubble going down in anything but snowstorm.

Rule of the mountain: If one person is cold then the cover comes down.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 26-01-20 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I usually prefer to travel with the cover up, but if it is pulled down you realise what fascinating information, predominantly about the sexual preferences of a multinational group of individuals, you would otherwise have missed out on. Embarassed
ski holidays
Only if the weather is bad or there is a nasty face wind. Otherwise, i want to see the montains and be outside, afterall, if your skiing your dressed for it. As for heated seats....... rolling eyes
snow conditions
I remember nearly chucking up on a bubbled lift once... Three guys got on the first lift. There was a good chance that they were waiting for it since chucking out time at 4am!
They stank of fags and booze; I swear I got pissed on the breath of the bloke sitting next to me!

I think I was also slightly hanging which didn't help the whole situation either!
latest report
Gerry wrote:
Rule of the mountain: If one person is cold then the cover comes down.

That could just as easy go also the other way:
Rule of the mountain: If one person is hot then the cover remains up

No idea why someone would have right way to go, just because he forgot to put another layer of clothes on. Not to mention it's much easier for humans to stay warm then cold. And honestly, I don't really give a poo-poo about some "rule of mountains" that people who visit mountains once a year for 5 days invent Wink
snow report
I've never seen anyone so big they cannot fit under a cover. They may be sitting in a way that something is hanging out but can move inside if given fair warning. I think that's the point in this thread, be polite and most things go.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy