Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Insurance basics

Poster: A snowHead
@countryman, not sure about smarties, but there have been serious discussions among doctors about whether statins should be prescribed to all individuals over a certain age (presumably one could define them) since they are so cheap and safe that their benefit in reducing risk of heart attacks in those with undiagnosed high cholesterol outweighs the negligible chance of side effects in everyone else. And I imagine the risk of a heart attack is greater in those who have had one previously.

As a result, the fact someone is taking statins isn't evidence they have high cholesterol. Unless the prescription resulted from a test outside the normal range.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are not that bothered about cancellation, baggage or personal possession cover, or are happy to take a high excess on them, if we can find good medical / emergency coverage. Does anyone know of a company that will cover just over the latter?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ecureuil wrote:
We are not that bothered about cancellation, baggage or personal possession cover, or are happy to take a high excess on them, if we can find good medical / emergency coverage. Does anyone know of a company that will cover just over the latter?

You could try Snowcard, where you can tailor the cover you get in certain areas.

https://www.snowcard.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Policy_Summary%2011%3A2018_0.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year (August) I used skicover.com (part of online travel insurance services) for annual cover. I was 66 at the start of the policy and declared high blood pressure and a hip replacement (both under control). The resulting increase in premium was £13.80. They have a special page for over 65's ski cover with some advice on existing conditions https://www.skicover.com/over-65-ski-insurance.aspx. There are some limits on number of ski days (Up to 45) which may not suit but the policies have a broad definition of piste/in bound, include off-piste with a guide and you can update to include more extreme sports. You can exclude cancellation and baggage cover and reduce or increase the excess.
Might be worth a look. I have never had to claim so can't vouch for their claim service.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
j b wrote:
@countryman,

As a result, the fact someone is taking statins isn't evidence they have high cholesterol. Unless the prescription resulted from a test outside the normal range.

I agree. I have never had high cholesterol but after a mini-stroke (TIA) I was put on statins and a blood-thinner as a routine long-term preventative measure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
countryman wrote:
I am sure it will upset karansaraf but I am afraid I call the bp pills and statins the smarties of the UK NHS. All part of the UK National Institute of Clinical Excellence's standard post incident package.

Ah it would be a pretty sad existence on my part if I got upset at such things! I'm more than happy in the knowledge that those BP and statin pills post heart attack reduce long term mortality by greater than 30% each (when compared with those not taking those pills), and that's not even taking into account the other benefits such as improved symptoms, reduced hospitalisation and reduced number of events (heart attack and stroke) in the secondary prevention population! Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm booked for Ste Foy for a family holiday next Easter and have started looking at passes and insurance.

It seems Carre Neige is very much worth it, but that it replicates and surpasses some of the cover I would have via our winter sports cover - so the Q is; should I get "normal" travel insurance + Carre Neige, rather than winter sports insurance AND (or instead of) Carre Neige?

Secondary Q re: Ste Foy - my 7yo lad will be a beginning his lessons on this visit - does he need a "full" pass, or do they do a different pass for learners?? Seems overkill to need a full pass, when he likely won't be getting to far up the hill.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickYoung, For what it costs, it's worth just getting Carre Neige, as it gives "no questions asked" cover if you have an accident....Otherwise you may have to shell out considerable sums and claim it back later. Keep the receipt on you at all times when skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, Agreed, but it also seems to make "winter sports" cover on traditional travel insurance unnecessary???
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickYoung wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Agreed, but it also seems to make "winter sports" cover on traditional travel insurance unnecessary???

No it doesn't. Your traditional wintersports insurance covers you for a lot more than an accident while skiing....eg, Being brought back home after a bad accident.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, so does carre neige apparently
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickYoung wrote:

The problem could be that your traditional travel insurance might have an exclusion clause saying you have no cover at all if you are on a skiing/winter sports holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ecureuil, never come across that on any of my policies. Travel insurance plus add on for winter sports. If don't have the add on you would be covered for anything not winter sports related
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, Yes it does and it also covers repatriation of family members and provides someone to drive your car home for you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickYoung, If he's a total beginner he won't need a pass at the start. The nursery slope has a free travelator. When he gets to go up a lift they'll let him know he'll need a pass tomorrow.
snow conditions
@MorningGory, Super.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Old Fartbag, so does carre neige apparently

Well, I learn something every day. My Bad.

I have always been under the impression that Carre Neige was not a substitute for normal WS insurance.....especially if you want to insure belongings/curtailment etc.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, you are correct. Its not a substitution for full insurance but the point was about repatriation. I haven't bothered with it for years as my insurance is more than adequate.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@ecureuil, never come across that on any of my policies. Travel insurance plus add on for winter sports. If don't have the add on you would be covered for anything not winter sports related

Winter sports add-ons include things that are not covered by Carre Neige, e.g. legal assistance or third party liability while skiing. If you have just "normal" travel insurance plus CN, but then have a skiing accident that leads to someone else being seriously injured, you could potentially be on the hook for many millions.
snow report
@ecureuil, Good point (though good luck to them getting "many millions" out of me)...

Sideswerve question - would my BMC liability insurance cover me for those missing aspects??
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Old Fartbag, you are correct. Its not a substitution for full insurance but the point was about repatriation. I haven't bothered with it for years as my insurance is more than adequate.

Agreed. My main point was that it's not a substitution - but used a bad example to justify it.
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Winter sports add-ons include things that are not covered by Carre Neige, e.g. legal assistance or third party liability while skiing. If you have just "normal" travel insurance plus CN, but then have a skiing accident that leads to someone else being seriously injured, you could potentially be on the hook for many millions.

absolutely, I wouldn't do it ...although would your home public liability insurance potentially cover it? anyway, as usual, caveat emptor
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
@ecureuil, Good point (though good luck to them getting "many millions" out of me)...

Sideswerve question - would my BMC liability insurance cover me for those missing aspects??

what does your BMC policy say on the matter?
latest report
@holidayloverxx, "As part of your membership, the BMC provides Combined Liability Insurance for clubs and individual members (£15m), and Personal Accident cover for Individual members (£10k)."

Gonna read up more/ring them for more detail.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I'm thinking it doesn't cover "ordinary" skiing...
ski holidays
@NickYoung, better ask them then
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy