Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bozeman-Jackson drive tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For an upcoming trip to Big Sky and Jackson Hole I am flying into Bozeman then the first day will be spent driving leisurely from there to Jackson. No snowboarding.

Which route is best for this cruise?
Where to stop for lunch, wildlife spotting etc?
I *think* Yellowstone is closed to public traffic in winter...correct?
Also I need to buy a new snowboard and pants somewhere en route - any recommended shops?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm doing the reverse, Jackson up to Bozeman/big sky. Around end of Jan. Going to wing it. When are you going? If I go before you remind me and I'll update you with my experience
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers. 31 Jan
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hd, Stop for lunch in West Yellowstone, Slippery Otter is pretty good.

You'll probably have to go straight through West Yellowstone anyway, s it will be the only road available IIRC - watch out for raod closures though. Often at Island Park, and theres wildlife around there.
As you enter Yellowstone NP - you just go through a small section after Big Sky - we saw a wolf pack between the road and river Smile, so there may be other stuff too. The rest of Jellystone is closed to traffic though.

Again check for road closures if its all clear, get off the 20 at Ashton, and take the 32 through to Tetonia and then Driggs. From there Teton Pass to Jackson - straight past TGR headquarters, in Wilson. Obviously Jackson to Bozeman reverse this. Madeye-Smiley

But if flying into Bozeman, you should stay a day and ski Bridger Bowl. Big Sky is about 40 mins south of Bozeman.

Done this drive a couple of times, once after the roads had been closed for 3 days due to snow - that was fun through the night. Our usual plan is to hit the road after skiing, Think we did Jackson to Big Sky in around 3 hrs
It can get cold though, first time we drove we had temps of around -10 F, roads clear and making excellent time Toofy Grin

It is a fantastic drive with some great scenery, hopefully doing it again in 2021, amongst other places - Montana is just so empty, and vast Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bones great tips thanks. Yes considered Bridger but the 5 hour drive from there to Jackson after a ski day is somewhat off-putting, especially at night with lingering jetlag, plus the risk of weather and road closures, plus need to buy a board somewhere on our first day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hd, Well you could ski Bridger, buy the board in Bozeman - no sales tax wink. Then check into a cheap hotel. Up with jet lag around 3-4, hit the road and be in Jackson - well Id actually hit Targhee, then drive to Jackson after. After all it is an adventure lifestyle Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
sales tax

Not thought of that - is there no sales tax in Montana at all, or only in Bozeman???
Other shopping options I'm aware of en route are in Driggs ID and obviously Jackson WY - but is a new board likely to be significantly cheaper in Bozeman?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd, Its Montana, 0% tax. Smile Only been to Peaked Sports in Driggs, nice place and usually has sales on from Feb onwards. But its not that large and may have limited stock.

Plenty of places in Jackson but its not going to be the cheapest, as most things there aren't either - but you should get what you want.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why fly to Bozeman?

Jackson Hole has an airport.

Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@abc, opening sentence of first post explains all. It's a pair of resorts I've often considered including in a single trip but never quite managed it. Travelling from the UK, open jaw flights can be considerably more expensive than out and back flights.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bones, you are a remarkable fountain of knowledge. Thank you.

@hd, chances are we will drive by one another. I'll give you a wave/high five
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LittleBullet, Madeye-Smiley Done a trip or two like this in the Rockies and Canada,
Philwig is the man really on these sort of things, though. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm interested in this too as I will be doing the Jackson to Big Sky drive at the end of February. Good info above.
I have driven north from Salt Lake to Jackson Hole a couple of times and that's an easy drive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You may want to look into buying your board at Bozeman. It’s a good size city (by USA standard). Must have a ski shop or two.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones wrote:
hd, Well you could ski Bridger, buy the board in Bozeman - no sales tax wink. Then check into a cheap hotel. Up with jet lag around 3-4, hit the road and be in Jackson - well Id actually hit Targhee, then drive to Jackson after. After all it is an adventure lifestyle Madeye-Smiley

Another option, sacrifice a day of skiing and take a snowmobile tour into Yellowstone. Then you can drive to Jackson from West Yellowstone. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy