Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.
I know there has been some discussion on threads (like the BB) about Insurance but this is diluted by the other comments on the trips so i thougt I would start an insurance specific discussion.

Mine is related to the MPI price hikes recently that have forced many to shop around. EG
My annual multi trip (AMT) entry level policy has went up from £69 to £82 to now £121 for MPI over the last few years (my 2018 policy covered EOSB 2018 and BB 2019).

I've asked MPI to explain and they have given me a comprehensive answer. The key points are

1) you are no longer able to remove the cancellation cost (covered by many bank policies)

Quote You will have noticed that there is no longer the option to remove cancellation cover, which of course reduced the premium you paid in 2017 and 2018. We were very disappointed when insurers removed this option and are still fighting to have it reinstated, however to date unfortunately the option cannot be taken. I can assure you our MD is still on the case. end quote

2) the £ and medical claim costs are the main reason.

Quote where there have been a few incremental increases in premium. Increases due to many reasons, mostly the fall in the GBP and rise in costs of medical claims. end quote.

So for someone going off piste without a guide (IE off to the side) what are the options?

I'll probably only do one trip this year so looks like I'll go for their single trip and then shop around but I thought I'd post
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have just paid £150 for SCGB insurance (and membership) I will shop around next year but at 50+ there seems to be a hike in risk and therefore price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GlasgowCyclops, Austrian Alpine Club ~£50/yr worldwide offpiste rescue cover etc. Doesn't cover the travel aspects (lost luggage, cancelled flights...) but those should be on a fairly general bank policy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GlasgowCyclops, in the days when I used to ski off-piste without a guide I thought that the BMC had the clearest, least weasel-worded policy terms.The cover was modular - ie I chose to insure for what I was doing. I was unaware of anon having quibbles with the cover when it was needed. However it wasn't cheap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, I'm an ex-MPI customer due to the price hikes.

It's good that they have tried to provide an explanation. I'm not sure I am convinced myself but that would be another discussion and if the £ and claim costs reasons were expected then their competitors would be similarly affected. And I'm not sure they have been.

Anyway for this year I have taken out a policy with Asda believe it or not. It's a rebadge of Insure and Go but iirc has one less level and seems to have better limits and slightly cheaper premiums. From what I can tell claims go through the same operator whose service seems to have a good reputation. The only downside I could see was some limits on cover for snowparks but when I investigated it seems many have the same.

We ski off piste without a guide so that is one thing I am always very careful on.

Our lowest level annual policy for a family of 4 for Europe only was under £50. Which in some ways is crazily cheap. But then again maybe that's just because I've grown accustomed to Snowcard/MPI pricing over recent years.

There were threads discussing all of the above if you want me to fish them out. Otherwise just check out Asda/Insure&Go and see if it works for you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Asda looks like great value. You appear to have to wear a helmet for skiing but off piste is covered with no mention of a guide.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive just taken out an annual world wide policy with Virgin Money, for a couple over 50, to include winter sports cover - allows off piste without a guide - premium was £148 - I upped the excess which helped to lower the premium paid.
This seemed very good value when I compared like for like
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve done the opposite and moved to MPI, after trying to find anyone else to cover my requirements.

I was with SCGB for years as the provided Global multi-trip for around £200, covered everything including heli-skiing. But when I tried to renew in 2018 apparently a medical condition from 1982 made me ineligible.

I then switched to Insure and Go, who provided pretty much the same as SCGB for £130, but they are limited to 24 days winter sports.

I looked at many others, a lot of which looked promising, but as soon as global cover (even without USA/Canada), 30 days plus, off piste without guide, touring without guide, being over 50 etc etc are added the costs rocket. I also discarded any with stupid historical medical stipulations, which are completely irrelevant for travel insurance, and more relevant to life insurance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just took out an Asda policy after reading this. Thanks!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, thanks for the Asda tip. Already covered for this year's holidays - but I will look at them for next year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Asda multitrip limited to 18 or 24 days across whole year for winter sports and requires guide for touring.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pateman99 wrote:
Asda multitrip limited to 18 or 24 days across whole year for winter sports and requires guide for touring.

Wouldn't have thought that would be an issue for most people.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another thanks for the Asda tip here, just got cover for this year...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
is a helmet needed for ASDA's cover?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the policy document

Quote:
Q6 – Winter sports activities
The below are those activities that we classify as winter sports
activities.
What you are covered for
Bobsleighing*, cat skiing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing*,
freestyle skiing*, glacier walking or trekking (under 2000m),
glacier walking or trekking (over 2000m but under 6000m)*,
heli-skiing*, ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*, ice
fishing, ice hockey*, luge on snow/ice*, monoskiing, off piste
skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by
resort management), recreational ski or snowboard racing,
skeletons*, ski acrobatics*, ski bob racing*, ski racing or training
(non-professional)*, ski stunting*, ski touring (with a guide),
ski/snowboard fun parks*, skiing, snow mobiling*,
snowboarding and tobogganing.
Special condition which applies to section Q6
Under this policy you must:
1. You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and
recommended safety precautions when undertaking any
winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the
wearing of a safety helmet
Special exclusions which apply to section Q6
We will not cover the following:
1. The excess shown in the table of benefits on page 6.
2. For those activities in the above list marked with * an
increased medical excess of £250 applies and cover under
the Personal accident and Personal liability sections does
not apply.
3. No cover is provided for you taking part in any of the
following winter sport activities: Ski flying, ski jumping or
ski mountaineering.

my bold
https://money.asda.com/media/1590/as_mf_pw_std_1015.pdf
snow report
Quote:
Q6 – Winter sports activities
The below are those activities that we classify as winter sports
activities.
What you are covered for
Bobsleighing*, cat skiing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing*,
freestyle skiing*, glacier walking or trekking (under 2000m),
glacier walking or trekking (over 2000m but under 6000m)*,
heli-skiing*, ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*, ice
fishing, ice hockey*, luge on snow/ice*, monoskiing, off piste
skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by
resort management), recreational ski or snowboard racing,
skeletons*, ski acrobatics*, ski bob racing*, ski racing or training
(non-professional)*, ski stunting*, ski touring (with a guide),
ski/snowboard fun parks*, skiing, snow mobiling*,
snowboarding and tobogganing.

Special condition which applies to section Q6

Under this policy you must:
1. You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and
recommended safety precautions when undertaking any
winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the
wearing of a safety helmet.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, MPI gave me the same explanation back in 2019 for the hike in our premium, so although they may be on the case, it is taking a long time to resolve. We have insurance through Nationwide Flexplus account and used AAC to make sure the off-piste was covered.
ski holidays
As far as I can see from section Q6, when downhill skiing, personal accident and personal liabilities are not covered. That would concern me, particularly the lack of liability cover
ski holidays
@deerman, downhill skiing = proper racing, "skiing" or "recreational ski racing" is covered (neither asterixed)
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, MPI gave me the same explanation back in 2019 for the hike in our premium, so although they may be on the case, it is taking a long time to resolve.

Broadly speaking the £/Eur and £/$ exchange rates have been around where they currently are for the last 3.5 years so don't swallow the currency reason for the recent premium increase. I'm on the periphery of the insurance business these days but much more likely is that the claims have outweighed the underwriters target loss ratio and the underwriter has imposed a premium increase that attempts to get them back on track - ie make up for losses this year and add sufficient to allow for increases in losses going forwards - it's always a double whammy. Skiing and snowboarding are known in the insurance biz as surefire money losers. There are lots more incidents compared to other travel, the claim value is much higher than for other travel (eg most resort medical facilities are private so EHIC is no help), ski insurers cannot generally balance things up by having a much bigger summer business, then add to that the average age increase and you have the perfect storm for ugly price increases. Post Brexit and the potential disappearance of EHIC, the whole of the travel insurance market will need to impose a general across the board increase on European travel. We might see rates akin to those for USA travel. For some people with certain medical conditions, the rates will be career ending. I for one pray Boris gets EHIC continued!
snow report
@Hells Bells, I have a Nationwide account and a RBS royalties so covered for everything except off piste without a guide. Which can mean of course 2m off the side of a piste. When I do proper off piste I'm always with a guide on the EOSB or with the Arabba Ski School (Tania or Julia) on the BB.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, then the £50 or so for the Austrian Alpine Club policy is probably worth it if you have everything else covered.
ski holidays
Thanks for the Asda tip - will have a look into that.

Not sure how many active users there are but it strikes me it would be worth doing a commercial deal between snowheads and a couple of insurance companies to provide some competitively priced options that provide some revenue back to the running of snowheads?
snow conditions
@MHskier, dodgtag used to be the revenue winnner for sHs. No use to me because of age limit. Asda also has an age limit for annual insurance - but not for individual trips.
latest report
I've just cancelled my annual policy with Aviva, which I'd had for ages without a single claim, as the premium jumped from £134 to £283 ... which they also blamed on more claims, higher medical costs and exchange rates. However, I felt that an over 100% increase was rather excessive. Of course, now have to find a replacement policy before the Aviva one expires ... any good suggestions ?
snow conditions
Quick update on the insurance. @Red Leon Thanks for the heads up on the feedback.

Leisureguard do NOT cover the return flight. Sneeky way of keeping the price of the policy low and profitable to attract unsuspecting custmers. No idea how they managed to get that past regulatory authorities.

Will advise Martin Lewis comparison site. got link from there. Don't think they will be too happy.

Have cancelled policy. Found new one with Multitrip.com, seems to cover all my needs £50 4* rating
ski holidays
Do multitrip have a bad rep for claims?
snow report
@Layne, I used them a couple of years ago, but have never had to claim. tried google search, good rating on trustpilot.

I suppose it's like any insurance, it's only when you have a claim that you find out how bad they are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brianatab wrote:
good rating on trustpilot.

Most of the good ratings are for purchases only, if you look at the bad reviews some are for claims but I was wondering if there was any wider or personal evidence of this.

Whilst processing of an application, getting the appropriate docs on time, etc. is important as you say the claim processing is the really important bit.

I don't trust all the reviews on trustpilot but nevertheless...
snow conditions
I got an email from the BMC with an offer.

For a 45 day annual policy inc skiing they display a price of £160. Sounds promising I thought.

They compare themselves with Snowcard £235 and True Traveller at £237 and Dogtag at £450

However, when I go on and look for a family worldwide policy it gives me a nice little quote of close to £1200 Shocked . I get a members' discount, I'm not especially ancient and no pre existing conditions to declare. I guess needing USA in there bumped it up a bit but really BMC need to be less deceptive because I just think they are shysters now. But from what I can tell by shopping around, prices are very much on the rise.

If you run your own business it can be worth talking to whoever does your business insurances and see if you can add in business travel insurance that just happens to also cover your skiing activities! - for one thing the tax element is lower, it's a tax deductible expense (probably) and if you have any medical conditions they often do it on a 'fit to travel' basis. I'm about to look at that route I think. As long as the policy states it also covers leisure travel of course.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy