Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hafjell Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having been in Hafjell at Easter we returned from 21/12/2019 - 28/12/2019.
Flew Manchester to Oslo via Schipol with KLM. Very easy transfer and no issues with ski luggage either at Manchester or Oslo. Oslo Gardermoen is pretty much self service. Print luggage tags take skis to special baggage.

We were 2 adults and 9 year old son. Took train from airport to Lillehammer then 20 mins on bus to Hafjell. We stayed in Hafjell Hotel on full board package. Breakfast and dinner at hotel and choice of slopeside places to take lunch.

Ski passes for 3 of us around £550. Son had 5 x 1hr 30 min lessons which were around £110. Son also had a 3 hr private as did I. Son pleased to have same instructor as he had at Easter (pure coincidence) instructor was Swedish but with excellent English. 4 kids in the group, an advanced group, they skied all over the mountain, went in the park and did some off piste. Slopes were in good shape, around 100cm base and well groomed every day. Few t bars. Can only think of 3 but obviously chairlift are susceptible to weather. Light was flat when Sun not out and a couple of very foggy days. Had about 15cm of snow across the week.

Slopes are not wildly steep but there are some long runs. Private lesson I had was excellent. Working on confidence on steeper slopes. Again instructor was Swedish and really got me onto my edges. Interestingly 3 instructors I spoke to all said how they have very good conditions from their employer and have all done multiple seasons there.

It's not a huge resort but it has really found a place in my heart and we will probably go back next Christmas. The hotel did a lovely Christmas. Lots of Danish guests so it felt authentically Scandinavian! Son wants to learn telemark skiing so that will be next winter adventure.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good to read this. I'm out there in feb, heading to Levi for a week and then a short hop over to Norway. I was out hiking in norway in October and the snow had started to hit just north of Lillihammer then. It was amazing leaving the airport where the trees were green, by lillihammer they were orange and an hour north completely bare as the winter moved south.

Lovely town is lillihammer, and if you go again try Hamar and Gjovik for ice skating (indoors) and the later for a good little shopping mall.

Oh and if you go again and don't mind hiring a car (circa £150 for the week) you can stay in some of the log cabins just outside Hafjell for £325/week in the winter to take 6 people.

Also take a walk up lillihammers ski jump, all 936 steps, fantastic views half way up!

Lovely place, glad you had a good time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Telemark for a 9 year old! Would think you’d have trouble finding small enough skis with telemark bindings, and small enough boots that fit?

We went to Lillehammer a few years ago after Christmas. Snow was better at Kvitfjell, so having a car was an advantage. Nice small town.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lpsmc1
Nice to hear .. I am hoping to take Lvl 2 Telemark course in Hafjell later in the season
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes he wants to do telemarking and they have equipment his size in Hafjell. Instructor reckons he will easily pick it up so why not! To be honest what I like is not having a car just walking 10 mins from hotel. Summer holiday we self cater so skiing we get spoilt! Thanks for replies it really is lovely and authentic, not marketed as winter experience. Think I will get my x country skis back on next year too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Funny you say about the authentic and non marketed feeling of the place, it's exactly how I've found it in the autumn and similarly Levi. Lovely 'feel' to both places. I'm quickly falling in love with Finland and Norway, stunning parts of the world and great people.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lpsmc1 wrote:
Yes he wants to do telemarking and they have equipment his size in Hafjell. Instructor reckons he will easily pick it up so why not!

Cool!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@paulc1984 I know exactly what you mean. Been to Ruka 3 times but last year it felt like it had sold it's soul! Levi I agree has a lovely feel. We go on holiday where we ski rather than skiing holiday so I don't want full on ski resort. Hence I avoid the big French resorts (ducks for cover) but won't hear it anywhere other than South of France for summer!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It really made my son's holiday that the instructor genuinely remembered him from Easter. (They had 3 private lessons together at Easter). On Sat eve before we left on Sun I was with my son playing rolling in the snow which is apparently very important. The same instructor was walking into town with his mates but recognised us and turned back to speak to us. They are truly nice people. 'Alex' now holds a special place in my sense affections. He took him off piste, chased him through ski cross then stopped to play snowball on the Sat eve. Looking to book Oslo flights for next year!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy