Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What has skiing done for you?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend recently pointed out that it will have been 10 years since our first ski trip in January , which was a budget bonanza of a trip to Pamporovo in Bulgaria. When we arrived the hills were as brown as the Pennines, but luckily a dusting of snow fell overnight which provided enough for us to do the same few runs over and over. Despite that, it was an incredible trip which we probably talk about more than any of the others, just because we had such a laugh. Since then I've had ski holidays in Val D'Isere, St Anton, La Plagne and Whistler. I worked two seasons in Courchevel, which introduced me to new friends and culture and has had a huge impact on me. On reflection, that first ski trip to Bulgaria changed my life, so I thought it could be nice for people reflect on their own stories and share their experiences.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cost me a fortune. I bought a flat in Flachau and have 2 sets of kit...one there and one at home. Plus made some fantastic friends through snowheads and improved massively due to lessons on bashes and on private lessons in the group of friends rather than a group of strangers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Life changing, as a child and as an adult.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's the one holiday/activity for which thoughts of everything else leave my head. It's like mindfulness, only with two planks on my feet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, yep. That.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby wrote:
It's the one holiday/activity for which thoughts of everything else leave my head. It's like mindfulness, only with two planks on my feet.

Exactly this. The one activity that can totally clear the mind, it is just you and the mountains.

It may leave me significantly poorer, but even in the worst trip, money well spent
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Life changing, as a child and as an adult.

Yep. My first ski trip aged 5 or 6 literally changed the course of my life. I have NO idea what I'd be doing with myself now otherwise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Marjon wrote:
dobby wrote:

Exactly this. The one activity that can totally clear the mind, it is just you and the mountains.

It may leave me significantly poorer, but even in the worst trip, money well spent

Actually you're spot on. It costs a fortune but it has helped me get away from it a few times when I've really needed to. As I said to a mate, you're unable to focus on negative things when you're mind is completely preoccupied with hooning it down a mountain!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Marjon, try rock climbing for really clearing the mind.

What skiing has done for me -

Two worn out knees. I can barely walk but still insist on skiing

Operations on both shoulders

A broken front tooth

A few others scars, but too small to catalogue

Releived of over a hundred thousand pounds

Oh and lots and lots of fun
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given me great memories, especially of my dad who took school trips back in the 60's and introduced me to skiing at an early age. He'd love to see how things have changed and how his grandkids ski.

I simply don't enjoy other holidays in anything like the same way. I look forward to a ski trip months in advance, and only wish I'd been on more. Plenty time yet though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It caused me to emigrate. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queenie pretty please, well you were living in the East Midlands were you not? I lived in Long Eaton for most of my teenage years and left ASAP Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Introduced me to snowboarding Laughing

And left me with a severe need to spend time in the mountains.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
School trips to Sauze D'Oulx and Pfunds in Austria in the early 1970s sparked it all off.

Thousands and thousands of pounds poorer; infinitely richer for the experiences and memories. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Marjon wrote:
dobby wrote:

This.
And what endoman said; I don’t look forward to any other holiday the same way.
ski holidays
stopped me doing all the fun stuff that also goes on during snow season.
Rio Carnival, Mardi Gras, Spring Break (but I am a bit old for that now!), etc.
latest report
Made me move to France permanently!
snow conditions
@dobby, isn't long eaton near swadlincote? I quite enjoy skiing there
latest report
Showed us Canada, we had to move too! Without skiing we'd probably never have seen it, and never have come.
snow report
Quote:

The one activity that can totally clear the mind, it is just you and the mountains

Sailing can do it too, especially if (as is often the case in the mountains) you're just a wee bit scared of what the elements are threatening to do with you. And that feeling when you finally get attached to something safe, pour a drink and find you survived.
snow report
@dobby, last place I lived in the UK was Heanor. Armpit of a place.
snow report
Ask not, what the mountain has done for you; but ask what you have done for the mountain. snowHead
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@dobby, isn't long eaton near swadlincote? I quite enjoy skiing there

not so far at all. i used to enjoy skiing at Swad till they changed the matting. Now they've changed it back to the good stuff i'm going to start back race training
snow report
[quote="queenie pretty please"]@dobby, last place I lived in the UK was Heanor. Armpit of a place.[/quote
your official original ski hill then would be cossal
snow conditions
Gosh. Got me into the mountains in winter. Introduced me to wonderful orthopaedic clinicians and physiotherapists. Stayed in an enormous variety of accommodation ranging from a London Bus to luxurious hotel. Met some amazing people. Made me wonder if I would still be alive in 5 minutes. I am toning down my skiing these days but I have memories to let me a lifetime.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 31-12-19 19:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Father-son bonding
ski holidays
Quote:
but I have dories to let me a lifetime..

Better safe than sorry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dories-Cookies-Dorie-Greenspan/dp/0547614845?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
@Mother hucker, come along to Swadlicote on a Wednesdayat 7.30 evening restarting on Jan 15th for some race training. The new matting is excellent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mother hucker, that was gone long before I lived there, but I have skied on Brinsley hill before!
ski holidays
It's been nearly 16 years since I first went on a school trip, i'm very grateful that my parents funded that, and then subsequently took it up as a family. I do however regret my dad's advice of uni over skiing, and then getting a job. Wish i'd either gone to uni then done some ski seasons, or vice versa.

That said, i'm planning on doing my BASI L1 next summer, somewhere in the UK indoors, and then try and get to a point where I can instruct in the Winters, and pick up accounting contract roles during the summer. We will see how that pans out!
ski holidays
Skiing allows the whole family to share time together. No other holiday like it. My daughter has the ski bug . Super expensive but worth every penny.
ski holidays
Led me to Snowheads. Totally stuffed now.
latest report
It's such fun. I've enjoyed the challenge of learning to ski for 53 seasons, met some wonderful people and loved watching my children and grandchildren also get addicted.
ski holidays
Tom Doc wrote:
Led me to Snowheads. Totally stuffed now.

What goes on a bash, stays on a bash! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Made winter something to look forward to rather than something to be dreaded.
ski holidays
I'm "late to the party" skier - first ski holiday was when I was 48 yo, but I've always loved snow and the freshness of being in the mountains.
Learning to ski has given me a new way to access the mountain, and because skiing is a "thing" a reason to be there in the depths of winter.
The actual, physical thrill of skiing is similar to other things I've done; sailing (as someone said above) and riding horses - there's always the scary knowledge that you could be out of control at any second married with the pure exhilaration of it!
snow report
ive never skied but it’s given me countless laughs at dumb outfits and big yard sales
snow conditions
Kept me fit. Kept me sane. I grew up in the mountains. I can't live any where else, if I can't drive to a ski area in under an hour. Put two wooden planks on my feet at the age of 5, and never looked back. From "hiking" the backyard in Utah, to hiking the Chugach range in AK. It taught me how to be more social on a slow two person chair back in the day. Even as a child who was more of an introvert than anything. I can strike up a conversation with anyone on a chairlift or gondola since those early days of not always being on the same chairs as my brothers.

Skiing has taught me to enjoy those brief moments, rare moments of sheer bliss and emotions that words defy while skiing deep, cold smoke powder.

Skiing gives me something to look forward to as winter approaches.

Skiing has taught me to be a better environmental steward and looking after our precious planet.

Skiing has taught me to give back that joy to those just being introduced to the sport and to share that joy with those that have spent a lifetime pursuing the activity of skiing.
snow report
@Toadman, I think I've got something in my eye.
ski holidays
Bilateral foot surgery, broken wrist, broken jaw and a wallet many countless thousands lighter. And this
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy