Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report - Trysil, Radisson Blu Mountain resort 22-29th Dec 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski review - Trysil, Radisson Blu Mountain resort 22-29th Dec 2019

Trysil is in Norway and while you can fly directly there from the UK (about 15 mins away from resort), this only goes Sat to Sat and classes run Mon-Fri for kids, plus SAS didn’t announce it until after I’d booked.

Cost

We paid about £4K, including flights, car hire, lessons for kids (3hrs x 5 days), 2 privates for us, the hotel, ski hire for 3 (I have my own stuff) and lift passes.

Getting there

Its about 2 hours from Oslo airport to Trysil and you literally take road 6 and then 25, so easy to get to and jafs are onto way for a mcdonalds type break.

Hotel

The Trysil self-catering apartments at the hotel are only about 35m2, so not a huge amount of space but do include a full sized oven, 4 hobs and full-size fridge freezer. There are 3 supermarkets in the centre of town (Kiwi, Co-op or Rema). I recommend the breakfast option, which all of you can take at the hotel itself as its a pretty good effort, especially if you can get it included in your self-catered option (Expedia often do this). The hotel is ski in and out, but is up the mountain so the final part of the trip is a 10 minute twisty road.

Great pool system in the hotel that goes inside and out, along with hot tubs inside and out, steam room, Norwegian sauna and regular sauna. However you do have to pay for it - its about £30 for a family of 4 per visit if you are staying at the hotel.

Staff at the hotel are really good, you have a good sized ski locker allocated to you and opened by your room card and it has boot heaters in the locker so everything is dry in the morning.

Bad points - the bus leaves at 8.25, takes 5 minutes to get to top of mountain and lessons don’t start until 9.15, so you’ll be freezing for 45 minutes (as nothing opens until 9 or 11am) The lifts open at 9 and you can’t get up to the top as its a button and drag lift trying to be done in 15 minutes, and you need to allow 20, again you’ll be late. So like pretty much everyone else we threw the skis in the car and drove up )2-3 mins) as its free parking and walked to the lessons for the kids in time. Parking is underground at the hotel so no need to defrost or deice the car in the morning.

Good points- great food, well equipped kitchen, ridiculously warm in room, great ski lockers, ski rental in the hotel complex itself, amazing spa

Resort

Base layer was about a 1m and temps ranged from -10 to -3, when we were out there. Only the last day was a whiteout so a last morning ski was a bit scary and then the entire town suffered a power cut as we were leaving. You will need a pink lens to ski a lot out there as it deal with the flat light that seems to be common if the sun isn’t out.

Runs are well groomed, but this is a place of button and t bars - only a couple of chart lifts are in use. It’s a strange thing that a lot of the trails cross over lifts, so sometimes the cat trails zip through the button and t bars.

There is not a lot of difference between their blue and greens, I’d say they have greens but they are blue at the start and then level out to greens.

A wonderful place to eat at the top of the mountain and by the chair lift and the ski shop at the top is amazing - some items I’ve not seen before (my partner got a skull cap type thing to go under her helmet instead of a balaclava. Also the ski range and boot fitters are incredible and stuff is pretty reasonably priced for some things, although they have the silly priced stuff as well,, but a set of last years unused Stockli’s were £600, this years £1300.

Instruction

The kids instructors were good. As its Norway, everyone speaks perfect English and are so friendly. Second time for them both and this year the 13 year old did her first black, plenty of reds, learnt hockey stops, did box jumps and how to ski backwards, including having to ski a red backwards on her final day. While the 8 year old managed a few reds and enjoyed going through the trees. Lessons are 3 hours 5 days a week.

We had two private lessons booked, but underestimated that time to get to mountain and are 15 mins late for our first lesson, but in time for day two. The instructor was good and toured the mountain with us, but she was more of a follow me, while I prefer a but more of a follow us and tell us what we do wrong and how to improve.

Back again?

Yes probably. I think that we could enjoy it all again there, but I perhaps want somewhere to have more chairlifts instead (mainly my lack of thigh strength as you ski down and then button up and repeat, which can be tiring!). Any questions ask away, if your child is under 8 then no charge for lift pass I believe.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Oitbc, great TR Very Happy.
The Scandi resorts tend to have a lot of surface lifts because they cope with wind better, so over time you learn to love/tolerate T bars! My recollection is that Trysil has 5 or 6 chairs, we're some of them not running?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mgrolf, they do but the resort is sort of broken into 4 areas and each has one chair lift, apart from one are which has two. So as we stayed mainly over at Hoyfjellsenter (didn't fancy the t bar over the top to get to somewhere else), so we just had the one lift, but from the hotel, it can be reached by button lift and then a quick ski down to the lift and then access to a good range of runs. I think a chair to the top instead of a t-bar would be good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should also point out that ski group lesson sizes were small. So 8yr son was in group of 4 (including him) with one instructor and on day 4+5 was with just one other child and the instructor. My 12year old (typo earlier, she's not 13 yet!) had 5 kids including herself and two instructors. One at front and one at rear. Again on day 4+5 she was down to her and another girl with the two instructors, so the backwards red was basically a private lesson to give her mega confidence.

Staff are happy to listen to what your child would like to learn - although 12year old regretting (not really) saying she needed to improve backwards skiing on last day Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oitbc, doesn't Toppekspressen (the chair on the Høyfjellssenteret side) go all the way to the top?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last thing I read about Scandivanian Mountains Airport (Sälen-Trysil) is that they don’t have the right approvals yet for an “international” airport. I’m sure it will come as it’d be a pointless investment otherwise. Easy journey though from Oslo to Trysil.

@Oitbc, for a similar Scandi experience you could try Åre next time. More chairs. But personally I like drag lifts as they are less prone to closure due to wind.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That’s a blast from the past for me as we’ve been there 3 times. It’s a great resort but some of the buttons and T’s are So long and a bit hairy for my liking. Some gorgeous greens and blues, especially over the Park Inn side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oitbc wrote:
@mgrolf, they do but the resort is sort of broken into 4 areas and each has one chair lift, apart from one are which has two. So as we stayed mainly over at Hoyfjellsenter (didn't fancy the t bar over the top to get to somewhere else), so we just had the one lift, but from the hotel, it can be reached by button lift and then a quick ski down to the lift and then access to a good range of runs. I think a chair to the top instead of a t-bar would be good.

There are five modern chairs, three with heated seats, and a couple of older ones. Skihyttaexpress and topexpress both go to the top, where they meet and offer a route over the top both ways. The private instructors will lead or follow, you just need to talk to them... Very Happy

Worth knowing the other radisson doesn't charge for swimming and the apartments (rented through skistar) are bigger.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes for one side only. The t bar is required for the other two.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for posting, @Oitbc - I really loved Trysil its good to hear about it.
Do you mean that a (fairly steep) t-bar (alongside a black run) is required to get from Turistcenter to Hoyfellcenter if you want to stay on green/easy blue runs? In which case that makes sense to me - I would say that Trysil has some great easy skiing and broadly you can get a really good sense of travel staying on very easy runs, except for that t-bar.
http://opensnowmap.org/?zoom=12&lon=12.23&lat=61.3&
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy