Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repairing Ski Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have the same problem as me with ski gloves splitting along the finger seam? I think it is caused when picking up and carrying a pair of ski's, but seems to happen regardless of the glove quality. Anyway, any suggestion on how to fix them would be great. Thanks. Nigel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Nigel,
I'd suggest Duck Tape. It's a bit like the force. It has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together.

May not be pretty, but it is effective.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just buy a new pair every season.

Or hold your skis differently.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, nice idea. Judging by the number of pairs in my cupboard with one split finger, I probably thought of that one already! Wear The Fox Hat, that probably sounds like the best suggestion, but was hoping for some a bit better looking.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Duck tape's the stuff. Much better than posing with hew kit -you save money an pose as rugged mountain man.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Being covered in cheap-and-nasty duct tape is no way to attract the sheilas.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, so, use the proper stuff... Duck Tape
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nigels, just make sure you get black ducktape if you have black gloves-silver could be a bit daft.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nigels, if you want them to be better looking, stick a pic of Kelly Brook on them. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.glovething.co.uk/ ???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Au contraire, I go with the achilles rugged mountain man argument (which only works, though, if said rugged mountain man is good-looking, and has clean fingernails under the gloves.)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rossfra8 wrote:
nigels, just make sure you get black ducktape if you have black gloves-silver could be a bit daft.

And there I was skiing like that last season. Oh no! How can I ever show my face on the slopes again? Clearly I should not have bought my Missions - new gloves were a higher priority. And I didn't know they were a priority at all! Wow! I am glad I am on snowheads and can find out these things. new gloves this season then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rossfra8, maybe I should just paint my old gloves silver - as they consist of more duct tape than glove. (Fortunately TK Maxx was doing some leather competition gloves at a nice discount the other day. Just not sure my goggles are strong enough to shield my eyes from their brilliant orange backs Shocked )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
Just not sure my goggles are strong enough to shield my eyes from their brilliant orange backs Shocked )

Simple answer...
Put Duck Tape on the backs of the gloves - it won't be as bright!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, was merely common sense-no need for the sarcasm at all. black gloves-use black duck tape. silver gloves-well you work it out.
ski holidays
OK guys enough of the duck tape. Anyone with other suggestions?
snow conditions
Needle and thread?

(personally I'd go fot the duck tape........)
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I know, certainly likely to be less blood that way...........
snow conditions
nigels wrote:
Elizabeth B, I know, certainly likely to be less blood that way...........

Take you hand out of the glove before trying to sew it up - less likely to cut yourself. Wink
ski holidays
I just got new gloves yesterday (an early Christmas present to myself!) Quiksilver Goretex ones, €48 in the Quiksilver outlet shop in Kildare Village. Inigels, I'm in Dublin so you could borrow my duct tape if you need it! snowHead
snow conditions
If it is only the thread that has gone - a big curved needle and strong thread is OK. Doesn't take that long. Or if the leather reinforcement itself has torn or weakened then sacrifice one old pair to patch the others.
snow conditions
Hi Peter Ross, thanks for the offer but sure the budget can stretch to a roll of tape! IMHO I think the solution here is to buy gloves that are all leather. They seem to split where the leather front of the finger is stiched to the fabric back. My last years pair (degre 7) have leather fingers all the way round, but the thumbs are leather and fabric (goretex I guess) and they split on the thumb.
ski holidays
nigels, No, in my experience, this happens to all-leather gloves too.
ski holidays
Duct Tape gives you lots of cred in hard core circles.
snow conditions
nigels,
Quote:

Anyone with other suggestions?

Blunt you edges ? Puzzled
ski holidays
nigels, Actually I do have another suggestion (once you have got a nice new pair of gloves.) When your skis are on your shoulder, don't clasp the edges. When you are carrying them upright, carry them by the 'stoppers' - but make sure you've got them the right way round, so that the skis don't slip apart when you pick them up.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
GrahamN wrote:
Just not sure my goggles are strong enough to shield my eyes from their brilliant orange backs Shocked )

Simple answer...
Put Duck Tape on the backs of the gloves - it won't be as bright!

or alternatively, put Duck Tape on the goggles Laughing
snow report
Peter Ross wrote:
I just got new gloves yesterday (an early Christmas present to myself!) Quiksilver Goretex ones, €48 in the Quiksilver outlet shop in Kildare Village. Inigels, I'm in Dublin so you could borrow my duct tape if you need it! snowHead

does that mean you have Quiksilver duck tape? Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why don't they make gloves out of duct tape?
snow conditions
Who knows, Duck Tape might be made of old gloves. Nigels could try selling all the old gloves to Duck Products for testing.
snow conditions
I solved the problem by using a Goretex stick on repair patch, available from all good outdoor shops ( and S&R). Stays on remarkably well.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Au contraire, I go with the achilles rugged mountain man argument (which only works, though, if said rugged mountain man is good-looking, and has clean fingernails under the gloves.)

Your average skier will look like a loser covered in dirty, cheap electrical tape.

Stump up some green and buy a new pair.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Your average skier will look like a loser covered in dirty, cheap electrical tape.

It wasn't the Duck tape on your gloves that made you look like a loser Twisted Evil
latest report
alex_heney, fair point. Duck Tape on a flourescent one piece, unless worn ironically, doesn't work.
latest report
Although I am a big fan of the loser duck tape look may I suggest clear siilicone sealant or even flexible epoxyif its not a seam that gets bent too much.
snow report
No one seems to have considered the seamless glove option which eliminates all of the above issues.

Just supply glove size and preferred colour, and enclose a cheque for £5, and as long as I don't get too many orders, my mum should be able to source the wool and turn them round by the middle of December.
snow report
nigels, Here you go, just what you need at €12. They last a couple of seasons (60+ days) most good ski gear shops have them hidden away, usually brought out only for the instructors and mountain staff.
snow report
nigels wrote:
Does anyone have the same problem as me with ski gloves splitting along the finger seam? I think it is caused when picking up and carrying a pair of ski's, but seems to happen regardless of the glove quality. Anyway, any suggestion on how to fix them would be great. Thanks. Nigel

I have exactly the same problem - new gloves last about 3 days at most before they split. I am looking for gloves that have a protected seam - I will let you know how I get on !
latest report
Dypcdiver, on some American hills - you can tell the really serious skiers because they ski using riggers gloves from the hardware store. Goretex is for wimps... Toofy Grin

Btw - I have warm hands (always) and used to have to change gloves midday and trashed lots. Now I ski in thick fleece gloves if it is above -10. No problem snowHead
snow report
So is it 'Duck tape' or 'Duct Tape'? Or is 'Duck Tape' 'Duct Tape', or all 'Duct Tape' 'Duck Tape' or is some 'Duck tape' 'duct tape' or some 'duct tape' 'Duck tape'

Sorry probably shouldn't be considered a serious question - I just couldn't resist - anyone for tongue twisters? wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy