Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid January trip advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to France for the 12th Jan, however I have only ever been there in March.
Am I right in assuming it will be a lot less sunny and that bad conditions that may limit the skiing are more frequent in January?

I am looking at Les Deux Alpes and Val Thorens, as have heard they have good nightlife and have found cheap deals there. Does anyone have any other recommendations where would have good nightlife?
And will the nightlife be much quieter than March time?

Also one last question, regarding goggles what VLT% would u recommend for January?
Oh and we are beginner skiers so prefer a place with plenty easier runs!

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Am I right in assuming it will be a lot less sunny and that bad conditions that may limit the skiing are more frequent in January?

Yes the days are longer in March than January, but you will still need your factor 50 sun cream in January. Not sure about the bad conditions limiting skiing more in January. They can happen at anytime but in 30+years of skiing I've never lost a days skiing in either January or March in Europe

Sorrry I cannot help on nightlife at all but since there will be less people in the resort in Jan than Mar I assume the nightlife will be quieter.

I have just one pair of goggles and where them from December to April so cannot really answer your goggles question.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done most of my ski holidays in January, its my favour month to go skiing. That has largely been blue skis and great snow, we've only lost 2 days skiing in 22 weeks and that was 1 stay of stormy conditions and 1 day a couple of years ago it was raining really heavy. January is also a little cheaper and a little less busy.

either of those resorts will be good for beginners, however VT will likely have the better conditions being high.

Re-goggles - I have interchangeable lens but normally ski with a mix conditions lens (rose coloured ones)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weather wise it could be anything (sorry for stating the obvious) - at the moment conditions seems very settled with little new snow and lots of sun filled days for the next week or so, so you should have a better idea closer to 12th. Given the altitude and associated lack of tree cover I wouldn't personally choose VT in mid-January just incase the weather turns really bad, especially if you're beginner skiers - if you want to go to Trois Vallees in mid Jan and are beginner skiers La Tania would be a better choice, although I don't think there's much nightlife there.

We stayed in Les Arcs 1950 a couple of years back in mid-Jan and I wished we stayed lower down (e.g. 1600 or 1800) given the poor conditions that lasted all week. Saying that, it's the only time we've lost more than 1 complete day due to the weather and mid-Jan is one of the times we always go skiing as being self-employed and without kids we can avoid the busy and expensive holiday times.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charlie256,
General rule of thumb, the higher you go the colder it is, January is generally the coldest month to ski. It may not be less sunny but there is certainly less daylight than in March. Having said that we always go low in January and have never lost a complete day (Have cut the day short on a couple of days). If the main driver for the holiday is nightlife then Austria would seem to be better with good nightlife at lower altitudes. January is a great time to ski because it's quiet which doesn't make for good nightlife anywhere. Bad conditions can happen anywhere at any time.
Quote:

Oh and we are beginner skiers so prefer a place with plenty easier runs!

If you prefer France then it seems like somewhere in either the Grand Massif or the Portes du Soleil may be better for you, although can't comment on the night life.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have experienced every sort of weather in Jan...but

- It is generally a little colder...and can get very cold, especially in exposed places when the wind gets up.
- It has more Sun than you might expect
- Quality of snow is generally good - but early Jan can be a bit of a snow lottery in lean years
- I've seen snow storms last 3 or 4 days shutting lifts for over half the week, but that is less usual.

As for a Goggle lens - I like Oakley Prizm Rose or Photochromic

I liked Courchevel, when I was there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies guys. Hope the trip will be good!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy