Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please answer this very vain question for my outerwear choices...

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies in advance for the incredibly vain question, but looking for some advice from the snowboarding hive-mind. I've bought some Volcom snowboarding outerwear in the sales, and want some advice on what you guys think LOOKS the best. I've got the Volcom Stretch Gore-Tex pants, and two jackets: the Guch Stretch Gore-Tex in yellow and the Guide Gore-Tex in orange. Both are 3L Gore-Tex shells designed for the harshest conditions, and I'm looking to do more Freeride/backcountry riding in the next few years. Also, all this gear will last me years and I don't want to have to upgrade/change etc. So it's yellow vs orange, please let me know what you think looks the coolest lol Laughing

Click here to see me wearing them with my gear:
Yellow.

Orange.

From a practical perspective,
Yellow: Two top pockets and two side pockets, NO inside pockets, "droptail" fit so the back is slightly lower than the front.
Orange: Two top pockets, NO side pockets, two inside pockets, regular fit
Both have the Volcom zip tech which allows you to zip your jacket to pants to prevent any snow coming up under any circumstances which I love. They're basically exactly the same jacket other than the above differences.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-01-20 14:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yellow! The orange looks a bit red and there are a million and one people skiing in red (myself included). If it wasn't such a good jacket I would have changed it years ago.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just adding their "official pics" in here too

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yellow is more cool (says someone who just bought a burnt orange Rab jacket)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No idea but that wonky zip on the yellow would drive me nuts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Orange. Always orange.
Though I agree it's a bit on the red side of ideal.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surely its about the combination of colours... for example Yellow jacket, yellow trousers, yellow helmet, will just make you look like a large banana.
so you need to consider all of the colours.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bob wrote:
surely its about the combination of colours... for example Yellow jacket, yellow trousers, yellow helmet, will just make you look like a large banana.
so you need to consider all of the colours.

Yeah that's why I put my helmet, goggles, face mask, gloves, pants and boots on as well! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Orange seems to be a thing this year. But I do worry about the sanity of people who ask questions like this on the internet. There's a far simpler answer. Use a mirror. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both really look awesome mate!

I preferred the official picture of the orange jacket but think the yellow one looks awesome on. Both very good looking!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
whoops sorry, didn't click the arrows Embarassed

I'm an Orange fan, so Orange gets my vote.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yellow for me, complete with wonky zip. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wonky zip is the best just need to pair with a complete colour clash on salopettes/trousers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yellow for the intermediate/advanced
Orange for the advanced/expert .

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timc wrote:
Wonky zip is the best just need to pair with a complete colour clash on salopettes/trousers

Haha I had thought about getting the "burnt red" version of those black Volcom pants (to look like something below) but the only place that stocks them is in Italy and it would have been a pain for delivery (and returns) had I not liked them. Everything I buy generally is free returns (or pay with PayPal so you can get return postage refunded).

Spoiler
Volcom pants:
Look:

So ended up going with black instead for ease. Hard enough to decide between jacket colours!
snow conditions
queenie pretty please wrote:
Orange seems to be a thing this year. But I do worry about the sanity of people who ask questions like this on the internet. There's a far simpler answer. Use a mirror. Toofy Grin

What choo talking bout Willis? I was rockin orange 10 years ago.
Tbh they're both not my style but the wonky zip would drive me nuts too.
snow report
You are in the mountains - function over fashion every time.
latest report
Yellow, the orange looks a bit too red and as others have said a lot wear red. I might be biased as I have a yellow jacket and black trouser combo I like and wear my burnt orange jacket with with blue not black!
snow conditions
I prefer the Yellow.

My Jacket is like a mixture of both those two colours.
snow conditions
Yellow with the black trousers, otherwise orange with any other colour.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
You are in the mountains - function over fashion every time.

Agree entirely. These two jackets are essentially functionally identical however (otherwise the decision would have been easier), which is why I asked people's opinions on the fashion side of things, as that is important to me as well, although secondary.

They are both essentially exactly the same Volcom 3L Stretch Gore-Tex shell, with the only exceptions being (1) colour, (2) droptail fit on the yellow (which is functionally irrelevant as they both have zip tech and so no snow comes up anyway), (3) pockets, although same in quantity, vary by arrangement, both of which are acceptable to me.
snow report
Orange will be easier to get the ketchup stain out
snow conditions
I can't believe anyone is asking this question. rolling eyes wink
Orange all the way. Madeye-Smiley
Says someone who has, an orange and black jacket, orange salopettes, neon orange ski poles, neon orange and black boots and an orange beanie.

Let's face it, you'll look like the Bombardino Pixie in yellow.

snow conditions
ski holidays
@Whitegold, perfect. Thank you Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy