Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What has skiing done for you?

Poster: A snowHead
In addition to the broken fib and the tib-fib plateau and ACL final destruction it has led me to an appreciation of Jukebox Hero by Foreigner.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing has taught me just how difficult it is to stand on your own two feet
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gave me an avenue to keep fit after a football injury and a way to maintain the level of fitness I need to look after my wife in the future.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The first night I met my Mrs I drunkenly told her not skiing was a deal breaker, she told me smoking was hers. Now she skis and I'm a non-smoker.

@swskier, I too did the uni thing. I chose a lucrative career over my genuine passion for everything snow. At the time it was the thing to do, the world has changed a lot since then. Eventually it got me down and now I'm taking time out to do a mini-season and re-evaluate.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was a bit late to the party, starting at 62, but it’s brought me to Snowheads, through which I’ve had the two best holidays of my life; shared with some wonderful people (and @audfart)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn’t start skiing till I was 35 and started working in Sweden. Our boss decided skiing would be a good team building activity. Did a lot of skiing during my eleven winters in Sweden. Then we moved to England and for various reasons I had a 27 year break from skiing.

Finally in the winter 2915/16 I decided to have a week in Borovets to see if I still enjoyed it. I also discovered the SnowHeads forum and was reassured by one snowHead who said “it’s like riding a bike. You’ll fall over a lot”.

After that it has been SnowHead bashes each year where I have met some amazing people. Now I just wonder how longer I can keep going
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

In my case, I have no idea. To possibly misquote Warren Miller, “Once you ride a chairlift for the first time, your life changes forever”. Skiing has given me some fantastic memories, a focus for staying fit & healthy, especially in life-changing times/events, enabled me to meet like-minded people, and... spend a lot of money.

St Anton.., for 2 months... leaving next week... 18th visit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I learned to ski in the back seat on very long wooden planks when I was about 30, then allowed life to take over for 3 decades until 2015 when my daughter suggested I haul myself out of a depressive funk and join her in Meribel for the 3 days of holiday I had left. By the end of the first day I had fallen in slushy snow and twisted my knee but the doctor said if I wanted to, I could ski blues and greens with a brace. If I wanted to?? I was hooked and obsessed. Cue a summer at SkiPlex (first light bulb moment: "I have to transfer my weight from one leg to the other? Ah, that explains everything...") followed by sessions at Hemel, discovering snowHeads and meeting @admin who has an unerring homing instinct for the addicted newbie, and ongoing coaching from Inside Out Skiing and snowHeads instructors. Since 2015 I have used up most of my annual leave on ski weeks, including 9 bashes.

Skiing is my drug of choice and I'm open to sponsorship snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 1-01-20 14:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hard to believe its nearly 20 years since I first went skiing. I thought going out in the cold wouldn't be that much fun! First trip to Livigno, won my beginner ski school race and was hooked! I'm sure if I had a video of myself from then it would be funny to see my technique!

Discovering snowheads took it to another level, realising this addiction was normal and encouraged me to push beyond one holiday per year, get my own gear, go on bashes, buy skis and more skis...

Now I've skied in over 50 ski areas (need to count up maybe going towards 100) on three continents, no matter where I went had fun and makes winter an exciting time rather than something to be endured.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So ... now we live in Chamonix.

What has skiing ever done for me?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lifetime of great holidays that let me eat and drink and not put on weight, make me feel as fit as I ever can feel, and allowed me to being my three daughters into the sport. Now off on our Feb family holiday with my first grandchild.
Not many holidays would bring 3 generations together, but skiing does.
Wouldn’t emigrate though as the Golf courses are not that good!( oh and it gets hot in summer in the mountains).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gave me my first job at a dry (Catterick Indoor Ski Center) ski slope. Started as a goffer, having never skied, ended up as Chief Instructor. Many good life long friendships, a wife, two step children and five grandchildren. Superb holidays, great memories, dodgy hips and the best years of my life.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ryunis, my situation is very similar to yours, though it started nearly 30 years ago when I was in my mid 20's. first trip was to val thorens, after nearly going a few years before but the mate I was going with selfishly ( Toofy Grin) broke his collar bone earlier in the season so the trip was cancelled!!

I was completely hooked from day one, and from then on tried "chasing the dragon" as much as I possibly could. after a few more holidays, I managed to do a few seasons in Meribel in the mid to late 90's, which led to me doing some travelling and meeting my wife in the alps. I went on a few more trips after that, then due to family and financial commitments had a ten year hiatus away from the mountains, before finally managing to take the family away a few years ago, am counting down the days until feb half term and a trip to les menuires

I remember pre-internet days, when you had to wait until late august (first issue of the daily mail ski magazine to come through the letter box, that's how I snagged my job in the alps) to get the fist fix of the season, then a couple of trips to earls court/Olympia in the autumn to visit the ski show to feed the habit even more before the season started. it wasn't then until late November or early December that you could read the snow forecasts in either the papers or teletext, many hours spent watching the teletext pages revolve to write down the phone numbers of your chosen holiday company!!!!!

now the habit is all year round, not helped by this particular forum, that you can plan your trips over a year in advance. I find I spend an extortionate amount of time researching and planning our diy/self drive ski trips.

I am currently looking into spending next xmas and new year away, as I am the original grinch when it comes to this time of year, and why not spend it doing the thing you love instead of days on end travelling around visiting relatives and swapping over gifts??

unfortunately though, I am still dictated by school holidays for when I can take the family away.

Now I am finding myself researching into the prospect of spending seasons in the mountains again, possibly after 5 or 6 years time when the youngest has left school, and I can bug off and become an OAP ski bum, at least until my body allows it to. talk about wishing your life away, but at least it will be doing something I have this great addiction to, and long may it continue Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I too learned to ski on long planks and in the back seat in my 30s. I was hooked and there followed some enjoyable years of skiing with friends, for just one week a year, very badly and exhaustingly despite a few lessons here and there, until I discovered snowHeads and, through snowHeads, Inside Out Skiing. Since then, like motyl, I've had a lot of ongoing coaching (enabling me to ski, if not well, at least without getting exhausted) done most of my travelling skiing, especially since parting from a non-skiing partner and even more so since retiring, and had endless fun. And I've been on 21 Bashes, with 4 upcoming Bashes booked. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
enabled me to meet like-minded people, and... spend a lot of money.

St Anton.., for 2 months... leaving next week... 18th visit.[/quote]

Funny I've found that many skiers tend to be quite liberal and not neo-con Trump fans.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, he must mean Stanton and Langerzug...
ski holidays
It gave me an alternative to team sports (ie rugby). It gave me clarity that it was me versus the hill. That the hill would change her cloak with the weather. As @Toadman, says it made a teen me confident enough to shout ‘single’ in a lift queue and skate to the front. It has solidified my relationship with my wife from the start. It has made us both make a pilgrimage to wherever our girl did a season for the past 5/6 years. It has made me belly laugh and smile more than anything else has done.
ski holidays
@toadman i think you need to recalibrate your environmentalism if you think skiing has any place in looking after the planet! Massively damaging land use and activity.
snow conditions
@csb123 Toadman lives in Central oregon. You don't know him. I call troll.
snow report
Mega tan and an 8pack snowHead
snow conditions
Eh? Anyone who thinks skiing is an environmentally friendly pursuit is deluded, regardless of who they are or where they live.
snow report
LittleBullet wrote:

@swskier, I too did the uni thing. I chose a lucrative career over my genuine passion for everything snow. At the time it was the thing to do, the world has changed a lot since then. Eventually it got me down and now I'm taking time out to do a mini-season and re-evaluate.

I'm hoping that contract work between April and December will mean I can earn enough to ski winters. I'm going to look in to getting some of the instructor badges, then see where we go from there.

I've only been working 9-5 the last 7 years since finishing uni, and it breaks me every winter, and this forum doesn't help break the addiction either! Laughing
snow report
Lost tooth, broken ribs, crashes, bumps and bruises, smashed my finances

But overwhelmingly

Fantastic memories of the kids growing up and getting better and better, more visions of jaw dropping scenery than anyone would believe, great food, apres memories.

And those runs where everything drops together and the thrill is genuinely "better than sex"
ski holidays
Led me to chatting to this girl at a party about snowboarding in Canada, and her not having skied for years and how she used to love it, which led to one thing and another, which led to being married with two kids.
snow report
I didn't try skiing until I was 35, although my climbing had taken me to winter mountain ranges across the world. Did a week on skis spread over 2 years, then booked a proper ski hol with friends, wanted another and found a group of internet weirdos promoting something called the first EOSB (I ended up doing 10 in a row). Made many friends. Bumped into Kooky on here, skied with her in Austria where she lived in a small mountain town, we now have a lovely house in the foothills of the Dachsteins looking onto snow covered peaks and I no longer work during the winters so that I have all the time I want skiing.
Hasn't worked out too badly snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy