Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski satnav?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! Just joined the forum although have been boarding a while.

I find looking at ski maps really tedious, and constantly forget names of pistes and lifts so find myself pulling out the map all the time. Don't judge me!

Is there a good sat nav app or watch for resorts? I'm going to Val thorens in a few days.

Skadi - looks perfect, cannot get it to open in my android phone. Says you need internet which I have.

Ski nav - looks a bit rubbish

Garmin fenix 6 - super expensive, but I think you can load journies in advance? Although want to hear directions in headphones

Anyone else have a good solution that I've missed?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at this thread a few months ago: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3417916&highlight=gps+app#3417916
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
4riders
http://www.4riders.ski/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FalcorBRD, most ski areas seem to have their own apps now, with downloadable maps, links to huts, etc.
But the same problem remains, you have to get your phone out, remove goggles, not so different to using a map.

You could instead just follow your nose, not worry about which lift and piste you are using, just discover and enjoy. Ski areas generally have very good signposting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@FalcorBRD, most ski areas seem to have their own apps now, with downloadable maps, links to huts, etc.
But the same problem remains, you have to get your phone out, remove goggles, not so different to using a map.

You could instead just follow your nose, not worry about which lift and piste you are using, just discover and enjoy. Ski areas generally have very good signposting.

roads & motorways have good signposting, but people still use sat nav.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually use sat Nav to avoid traffic jams. An app that shows real time queue at lift info would be great.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What what...snow says. Agree completely.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m with @queenie pretty please. I tend to follow my nose until lunch time, study the ski map over lunch, and ski home. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@what...snow, @Jonpim, Paradiski's Yuge app claims to report on some of the queues but I've never checked its accuracy.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The idea of satnav is to get from A to B as quickly as possible. I imagine there is less demand for that in ski resorts. Yes it would be nice to dodge queues, take blue runs only, know where the nearest loos are, and get home quickly before the lifts close. But those are all nice, not crucial, so I guess commercial demand is limited.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And on a more practical note, GPS kills batteries, cold kills batteries; would need a booster pack for sure.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks! I still think the skadi app seems the best, but just can't get the thing to open. Anyone else used it or managed to install it recently? Looks like it's not being supported anymore.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val D app also claims to tell you queue times.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
4riders
http://www.4riders.ski/

Have you used this Mr.Egg? Would you say there are any problems with it? Or does it work perfectly at telling you routes from A to B? Would like an app like the one described (A to B, avoid certain types of slopes etc) for when I go to 3 Vallees in March.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite an interesting piece on Satnav and the brain on R4 recently. Satnav shrinks our hippocampus. This seems unlikely to be a good thing.
latest report
use a map. It will help prevent Alzheimers in the long run!
ski holidays
@dogwatch, same page I think?
latest report
Same page.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy