Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where do you read the rear DIN setting?

Poster: A snowHead
Seems like an easy question with an easy answer, but all my Google searches just say "set the DIN adjuster to your desired value".

So, I have a pair of skis with bindings and a big cross head screw adjuster for front and rear part of the binding.

The front part has a little window with a white block upon which is scribed a thin black line. Ok, I can deduce that one lines up the black line with the DIN scale.

However, the rear part has a block with a thick black section, then a silver line, then a thick red section. Which bit of this lot am I meant to align with the scale?
a) The front edge of the red block
b) The middle of the red block
c) The rear of the red block
d) The thin silver line
e) Other?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@crosbie, and I thought you were a skier!

This must get the prize for the most inane post to satisfy a quest for loads of responses rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I'm a snowboarder, but my other half has just received some refurbed, ex-rental skis from eBay, and it's down to me to adjust them. Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@crosbie, what are the bindings?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, it's one of those "But EVERYONE knows which bit of the red/silver/black block one aligns with the DIN scale" kind of things.

Like "You are on carriage 5 of 8 - please ensure you are on the correct part of the train. The front 4 carriages go to hell." And you've forgotten the numbering convention of carriages - do you count from the rear or the front?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, they say "HEAD Joy 9"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@crosbie, just try googling the binding settings etc before asking such a basic question on here.

Plus you have to take into account your OHs weight height ability age with regard to setting them up.

And that's all after setting then up correctly for boot size!

The joys of eBay n'est Pas ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 2-02-20 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Suggest you take them to the shop and get them set up by someone who knows what they are doing if you don't want to break your gf.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
@crosbie, just try googling the binding settings etc before asking such a basic question on here.

Plus you have to take into account your OHs weight height ability age with regard to setting them up.

The joys of eBay n'est Pas ?

Look smart back bottom, I know the DIN value I need to set. I know where to adjust it. I simply don't know what to align with what in the tiny little window on the rear part of the ski binding. And Google hasn't helped. In thousands of "Simply set your bindings to your required DIN setting" it is possible there's one that explains precisely what needs aligning with what, but I haven't got time to find that needle in a haystack.

I daresay it's something every worker in a ski rental shop is told on their first day, but I've never worked in one...

I was hoping that it's such an easy question with such an easy answer that someone would simply tell me, rather than berate me for not using Google. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davkt, .... or berate me for not going to a ski rental shop or handing them to an expert.

Hey, I know! Why don't I ask on SnowHeads?! Almost everyone on there will know the answer!

But will they reveal it to me?

Secret, arcane, knowledge, that's the thing isn't it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WELL ITS NOT EXACTLY FECKIN ROCKET SCIENCE
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, so why don't you simply tell me the answer, rather than tell me how obvious it is?

If it isn't rocket science then you can explain it in simple terms eh?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@crosbie, it’s not going to be the middle of any block, that’s not precise enough. It is probably* the silver line, but if you post a picture of the window someone will tell you for sure.

*Don’t take that as a certainty, I don’t really have a clue rolling eyes

@Weathercam, step away from the keyboard, it’s not a good look.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bindings are the bit of the ski that are designed to stop you from breaking yourself. If you don't know what you're doing then it's worth giving them to someone who does.

Personally when I buy new skis I'll google the binding and find the instructions. As well as setting the DIN you also need to make sure the forward pressure is correct, but the way you do that varies from binding to binding. if the forward pressure isn't correct then the binding won't operate as it should.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crosbie, join the club....those of us who are not as clever/fit/over-achieving as weathercam...in his eyes...and really couldn't give a poo-poo.

Hope you get them sorted.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, what is wrong with you? There's another thread about touring in Serre Che where someone is recommending your website. You really want people to connect what you do for a living with how you behave?
snow report
I’m going for the silver line. Can you post a picture?

ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@crosbie, it’s not going to be the middle of any block, that’s not precise enough. It is probably* the silver line, but if you post a picture of the window someone will tell you for sure.

My initial assumption was the middle of the red section (everyone knows that gauge needles are red), but I began to have a doubt, given that that is not precise, whereas the silver line would be.

I was hoping that HEAD would have designed their bindings such that their DIN adjustment scale was blindingly obvious to anyone with any significant experience of adjusting ski bindings.

So, operating on the theory that it's the silver line, why would there be a red coloured section on the higher side, and a black coloured section on the lower side? Presumably these colours have obvious meanings to professional adjusters?

I have not adjusted ski bindings before, so I have no idea as to what standards exist in terms of DIN scales and adjusters. For all I know all ski bindings are the same, and anyone who has ever adjusted them will instantly know about this red/silver/black DIN gauge thingy in the rear part of a ski binding.

I do not have a camera to hand, but if really necessary, I will try and take a photo in the next day or so.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, yeah, the front part of the binding is just like that with a white block upon which is marked a black line. Pretty obvious - even for me.

The rear part though has a similar sized piece, but is red/silver/black (instead of white/black/white), where the silver bit is the same thickness as the black line of the front part.
ski holidays
That has a range 2.5 to 9 so assuming she’s a 5 or 6 you probably want it somewhere in the middle. Aren’t there any numbers on the back? Usually you just set the line to the correct number like in the pic above.
snow report
You have closed the binding to reveal the full scale ? Obvious question I know.
snow conditions
I will add that the red bit is so thick that the front edge can be on DIN 6 while the rear edge is on DIN 4, so not particularly accurate - unless you have been taught to know that you read an edge or centre.
snow conditions
Without seeing them, I'm with @Scarlet, on the silver line.

But you could try winding them from max to min range to see if the silver line will reach both of the ends on DIN scale to check feasibility of that guess and give more credence to it.

A picture would help to identify and draw more informed opinion from those in the know. I set my own plus family etc with some very clear of their marking intent, some quite vague, so understand the initial question for clarity.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I'm trying to select a DIN setting of 5.5. The front is a doddle. The scale on the back has numbers staggered alternately either side of the sliding scale.
ski holidays
endoman wrote:

The boot is absent, and the rear heel part of the binding is raised to aid visibility.
snow report
crosbie wrote:
@BobinCH, I'm trying to select a DIN setting of 5.5. The front is a doddle. The scale on the back has numbers staggered alternately either side of the sliding scale.

So just adjust it with the screwdriver until the Grey line is at 5.5 which will be somewhere near the middke. Or am I missing something Puzzled
snow report
@crosbie, ....er...indeed post a photo. Some rental skis are so well used that the plastic windows are all full of cack and you can't see the adjustment indicator.

Ah....and what about forward pressure....do you know how to set that?.....
snow report
crosbie wrote:
endoman wrote:

The boot is absent, and the rear heel part of the binding is raised to aid visibility.

You will need the boot to set the forward pressure
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
So just adjust it with the screwdriver until the Grey line is at 5.5 which will be somewhere near the middke. Or am I missing something Puzzled

I want a convincing argument as to why I shouldn't adjust the centre of the thick red section with 5.5, which is what I first concluded was the most 'intuitive' - but then had a doubt, and so came here...

If you have as much basis to select the silver line as I have to select the centre of the red section, where does that get us? I need someone who adjusts ski bindings on a daily basis with their eyes closed... Little Angel or a groundswell of "Well, as everyone knows, the red line means X, and the black means Y, and the boundary indicates Z".

I think I will try the approach of seeing if there are stops that limit the movement of the gauge, and thus to see what aligns with what at each end of the scale.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Well, I used the boot (length 308mm) to ensure that the binding had the correct separation. But, I adjusted front and rear DIN with the boot removed.

Otherwise, I have no idea what 'forward pressure' means nor where it's adjusted. Unless you mean how much the boot centre is offset from ski centre.
snow report
@crosbie, if you’ve got a phone take a picture and post it up - use snowmediazone and paste the code here if you aren’t familiar
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
@crosbie, if you’ve got a phone take a picture and post it up - use snowmediazone and paste the code here if you aren’t familiar

I'll wait for daylight tomorrow.
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Well, I used the boot (length 308mm) to ensure that the binding had the correct separation. But, I adjusted front and rear DIN with the boot removed.

Otherwise, I have no idea what 'forward pressure' means nor where it's adjusted. Unless you mean how much the boot centre is offset from ski centre.

The forward pressure makes sure that the binding will hold the boot. You put the boot in the binding then adjust ....what I think is usually...a screw on the rear binding till it is flush. If it's not adjusted correctly then the binding won't hold the boot so the ski might pop off...or it won't when it needs too. It's important.
ski holidays
@crosbie, +1 for a phone photo. Meanwhile, the video below my help - rear binding adjustment is shown just after 5 minutes. Ensure that the binding is correctly set up for boot length, of course.

http://youtube.com/v/EN9sAQsbm9s

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 3-02-20 0:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@crosbie, as I posted above, forward pressure is vital to make sure the binding works properly. Each binding is a bit different so you'll need to find the instructions for your bindings.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
The forward pressure makes sure that the binding will hold the boot. You put the boot in the binding then adjust ....what I think is usually...a screw on the rear binding till it is flush. If it's not adjusted correctly then the binding won't hold the boot so the ski might pop off...or it won't when it needs too. It's important.

I've looked all over the bindings, and I can only see front & rear latches that enable respective parts to slide, and front & rear DIN screws. I can see no other adjustment.
snow conditions
@achilles, yup, I've seen the fore/aft DIN adjustments demonstrated in videos before, but what they don't do is zoom in on the same kind of rear DIN scale/gauge as exists on the HEAD Joy 9 binding.

If HEAD had used the same 'black line on white' indicator as was used on the front part I wouldn't be here.

So, I've simply assumed that there exists a well known convention for this rear red/silver/black gauge that I'm unaware of (being a snowboarder), but every skier is familiar with - and should easily answer in the first couple of responses, with the thread disappearing from view very quickly...
ski holidays
@crosbie, another video for you, covering setting up the binding. I have always had this done for me by a professional, and that is my recommendation. The cost strikes me as nominal when you consider the consequences of something being wrong.

http://youtube.com/v/q3V2faJaohs
ski holidays
@crosbie, sorry I can't help you further - I think all of my skis have had clear markings at the rear as well as the front. My present skis are in resort waiting for me to turn up - so I can't check them.
ski holidays
@crosbie, ....don't ignore setting forward pressure. If maladjusted you can have safety issues. It's simple to do, but different on many bindings:

Salomon old stylee - little window on LH side with metal indicator deep inside.
Salomon various - flat metal tab with graduated lines which also is binding movement control
Salomon new - metal rod with tab
Salomon various - little black plastic tab
Marker Griffon etc - cross head which should be flush with body
Tyrolia - flat metal tab with graduated lines

And of course then there's front binding height adjustment - but I think your Head ones should be automatic in that regard.
But please do work out how to set forward pressure on your bindings - ---- Muy Importante.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy