Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Considering USA or Canada - recommendations/things we should know

Poster: A snowHead
bambionskiis wrote:
Really interesting reading these reports: loved your last one hammy. Bit worried about the mentions of “steep” as I prefer wide easy blues. Are there many easy blues?

Europe has more of those.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh probably a lot of time in cafes and leisure centre
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the bus to Kicking Horse. There was 2cm or so of fresh snow outside the hotel today so hopefully it should be a good day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I got a good day there it looked like this for the full drop under the continental divide lift.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Off to Lake Louise today to see what that is like. I have got a 9 in 12 day lift pass so tomorrow I have got a day trip to Kicking Horse booked. Then next Friday I am doing the Panorama day trip.

Hope you enjoy KH - might see you at Panarama as skiing there Friday before we swing back to Calgary, dont bring too many folks on the day trip, not used to crowds Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bones wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Off to Lake Louise today to see what that is like. I have got a 9 in 12 day lift pass so tomorrow I have got a day trip to Kicking Horse booked. Then next Friday I am doing the Panorama day trip.

Hope you enjoy KH - might see you at Panarama as skiing there Friday before we swing back to Calgary, dont bring too many folks on the day trip, not used to crowds Toofy Grin

That would be good
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg wrote:
When I got a good day there it looked like this for the full drop under the continental divide lift.

Now we are talking
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does look gorgeous. Not allaying my concern that I’ve booked the wrong resort though
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At Kicking Horse now
17cm of new snow over night
More later
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Norquay can’t compare with the other two in terms of terrain or size. But it has its own unique appeal! Much closer to Banff so good for a lazy half day. Very family orientated and laid back. It’s perfect for your first day or for a storm day. If you’ve got kids (or are a big kid yourself!) your SkiBig3 tickets includes tubing. Great park underneath the first chair with options from easy to extreme.
We used to go half way through our holiday when we fancied an easier, shorter day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bambionskiis wrote:
Does look gorgeous. Not allaying my concern that I’ve booked the wrong resort though

Stop worrying! It’s great. And if you buy group lessons and there’s only one in your group at that level, they don’t bump you up or down like in Europe, you effectively get a private lesson for the price of a group one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bambionskiis wrote:

Rogg's photos are from Sunshine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just having lunch in Kicking Horse.
The lift queue this morning at 9am sucked, it took about 25 mins to get on even in the singles queue and apparently that is nothing for here on a Saturday!
However the terrain is brilliant. I was skiing powder through a glade within a few minutes of getting off the gondola. It is a challenging resort for sure, I was thinking earlier on that the majority of the St Anton and Val D'Isere brigade who think they are good skiers would be on their a$ses here Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It said 17cm of fresh snow on the sign but I thought it was more like 25cm myself maybe more in windblown areas.
The dining experience so far is better here than that experienced at Lake Louise yesterday and Sunshine the day before.
It is quite mild though so the snow was quite heavy going from the off. But that is the same everywhere you go if the temperature is what it is.
I need an easier day tomorrow so I think I will go to Norquay especially as more snow is forecast overnight Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kicking horse was pretty good today! Where abouts did you ski?

Highway was closed at Rogers pass for a while, which probably resulted in a few extra calgarians stopping in kh rather than continuing on to revy. That said, lines were pretty standard for a Saturday powder day after over a week with no real snow. Best option is to get there around 8.20am and be at the front of the queue for one of the first gondolas. Then the dilemma of doing a few chair laps (short but sweet with no queues) or 1200m pow lap back down to the gondola to be met with a big queue.
snow report
You are 20-30 yrs to late...

US skiing experience died then....
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Kicking horse was pretty good today! Where abouts did you ski?

Highway was closed at Rogers pass for a while, which probably resulted in a few extra calgarians stopping in kh rather than continuing on to revy. That said, lines were pretty standard for a Saturday powder day after over a week with no real snow. Best option is to get there around 8.20am and be at the front of the queue for one of the first gondolas. Then the dilemma of doing a few chair laps (short but sweet with no queues) or 1200m pow lap back down to the gondola to be met with a big queue.

Yeah I enjoyed it. I took a bus from Banff which left at 7am and got there just after 9am so I couldn't get there any earlier otherwise I definitely would have got there for 8am and had a coffee!
I took the gondola up took skiers right down to the trees skied down to Stairway chair and did a few laps in amongst the trees. Skied down to the bottom got the gondola back up which was a smaller queue by then, took skiers left then went across to one of the bowls with the short side step up. Went back down and did I think no 23 then took the 2 man chair. Just skied around I don't know where. Had lunch then back up to the top for more laps of the gladed area under the Stairway chair.
First time there so when I come back next week I will know where to go a bit better.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, wish you’d started a new thread, it’s a great trip report but is lost in here!
latest report
@Orange200, +1
ski holidays
@Orange200, this is the internet. Not an edited feature article in the Times.
snow conditions
@abc, meow!
ski holidays
Let me know what day you are coming back to kicking horse. Avalanche conditions aren't looking the best so looks like I will be in the resort most days and can show you around.
snow report
@boarder2020, cool thanks
ski holidays
@abc, what a dumb comment from someone who normally posts intelligent points. By that logic let’s merge all snowheads fora into one.

I get a lot of useful information from here so I try to pay it forward by putting it into a place where others can easily find it so they can then plan and enjoy their own trips.

But I guess being thoughtful is not very fashionable on the internet.
snow report
Moving on...... (it was a great piece Orange, but I agree it’s deserving of its only thread and not buried on this one
snow report
Orange200 wrote:

@abc, what a dumb comment from someone who normally posts intelligent points. By that logic let’s merge all snowheads fora into one.

I get a lot of useful information from here so I try to pay it forward by putting it into a place where others can easily find it so they can then plan and enjoy their own trips.

But I guess being thoughtful is not very fashionable on the internet.

I’m just being pragmatic. it’s not new that threads drift all over the universe.

Furthermore, in case you haven’t noticed, it’s a trend these days to have more and more super long running threads going on and on for the whole season.

In short, you’re hmmm... a bit out of “fashion”.
latest report
In the hope that I’m going to reach a few more people to give me advice though I’m going to keep bumping my question so it and any other comments don’t get buried:

Is the consensus that Mount Norquay is more suited to my lack of confidence (ie non-narrow and forgiving blues)?
ski holidays
Hi, Norquay was worth a look for us and to get our ski legs on day 1. Otherwise I think Lake Louise and Sunshine seemed to have a good range to suit everyone. Some years back we had a club holiday of around 20 folks of various abilities who really enjoyed Lake Louise. There was no thought of it not suiting everyone. You should really enjoy them all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back to the OP: all I'd say is be realistic about jetlag. Fine, lots of people don't suffer form it, so no probs. But if you or anyone in your family does, then you need to factor it into the +/- equation. This is usually the cue for people saying "I've been flying to the US since the Late Jurassic and jetlag has never been a problem for me ..." Well, terrific, but not everyone is as lucky. If you're only going for 7-10 days then losing 2-3 days before you've fully recovered could be a factor.
snow report
@bambionskiis, Mt. Norquay has a beginner ‘slow skiing area’ off of the first lift. It is pretty flat, and would get boring pretty quickly.
As you move along the lifts it gets pretty steep, pretty quick. It can also be mostly ungroomed for a while after a dump.
So, unless you are a total beginner, or like the steeps, I’d say Sunshine or Lake Louise would be better suited to finding your ski legs again.
snow report
@LaForet, jetlag can be managed in my experience.

After a large number of transatlantic trips, I've found that the trick on the way out is to avoid sleeping on the flight, try to find a routing that lands on daylight, to stay awake until about 9.00pm local time and then stay in bed until about 7.00am.

On the way back, I take an overnight flight, restrict sleep to about 4 hours and head to bed about an hour earlier than usual. Everything is fine the next day.

Since settling on this routine, jetlag has never bothered me, and I've been to Canada twice this year for shortish breaks.

I totally accept that you might be more sensitive to jetlag than most people; in that case, you're wise toski in Europe. For the rest of us, though, it's no more than a very minor inconvenience.
snow report
It helps to adjust BEFORE travel to minimize jet lag. Doing so requires understanding circadian rhythms a little.

If you live in Europe and are going to travel to the US or western Canada you will be moving about 7 time zones. If you are used to falling asleep at 11 pm and waking up at 7 am, you will want to get you body on a delayed phase. In other words, being tired and ready for sleep in Denver at 11 pm is the equivalent of 6 am in Europe. So before the trip start going to bed late and trying to sleep late, aiming to get closer to falling asleep at 6 am and waking up at 1 pm (obviously work and school will prevent total entrainment for most people!)

I live in the US. When I travel to Europe I start acclimating a week before my trip but waking early and going to bed early. This way I get closer to the goal of being tired at 11 pm, my approximate usual bedtime.
latest report
paulmags wrote:
Hi, Norquay was worth a look for us and to get our ski legs on day 1. Otherwise I think Lake Louise and Sunshine seemed to have a good range to suit everyone. Some years back we had a club holiday of around 20 folks of various abilities who really enjoyed Lake Louise. There was no thought of it not suiting everyone. You should really enjoy them all.

Fab just what I wanted to hear Paul
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
Back to the OP: all I'd say is be realistic about jetlag. Fine, lots of people don't suffer form it, so no probs. But if you or anyone in your family does, then you need to factor it into the +/- equation. This is usually the cue for people saying "I've been flying to the US since the Late Jurassic and jetlag has never been a problem for me ..." Well, terrific, but not everyone is as lucky. If you're only going for 7-10 days then losing 2-3 days before you've fully recovered could be a factor.

Good point. I’m pretty lucky but my husband has terrible problems with jet lag. We’re going for 14 days and have booked 10 days ski passes to build in recovery time.
ski holidays
dode wrote:
@bambionskiis, Mt. Norquay has a beginner ‘slow skiing area’ off of the first lift. It is pretty flat, and would get boring pretty quickly.
As you move along the lifts it gets pretty steep, pretty quick. It can also be mostly ungroomed for a while after a dump.
So, unless you are a total beginner, or like the steeps, I’d say Sunshine or Lake Louise would be better suited to finding your ski legs again.

Righty ho sounds perfect as I can be poleing myself on flat stuff whilst the family are doing reds Very Happy . Seriously though it may be a first day area for us then but I can’t see it grabbing us much beyond. Unless the coffee is good and the scenery amazing - in which case I’m happy to be there on my own. Cheers
snow report
@bambionskiis, been to banff 3 times...never bothered to go to norquay
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
@LaForet, jetlag can be managed in my experience.

After a large number of transatlantic trips, I've found that the trick on the way out is to avoid sleeping on the flight, try to find a routing that lands on daylight, to stay awake until about 9.00pm local time and then stay in bed until about 7.00am.

On the way back, I take an overnight flight, restrict sleep to about 4 hours and head to bed about an hour earlier than usual. Everything is fine the next day.

Since settling on this routine, jetlag has never bothered me, and I've been to Canada twice this year for shortish breaks.

I totally accept that you might be more sensitive to jetlag than most people; in that case, you're wise toski in Europe. For the rest of us, though, it's no more than a very minor inconvenience.

We’ve done Australia and New Zealand a few times so just accept it is what it is really. I think cross Atlantic is supposed to be worse for jet lag but we’ll manage. Part of the experience!! That and going at Xmas when it’s going to be freezing
latest report
aschriber wrote:
It helps to adjust BEFORE travel to minimize jet lag. Doing so requires understanding circadian rhythms a little.

If you live in Europe and are going to travel to the US or western Canada you will be moving about 7 time zones. If you are used to falling asleep at 11 pm and waking up at 7 am, you will want to get you body on a delayed phase. In other words, being tired and ready for sleep in Denver at 11 pm is the equivalent of 6 am in Europe. So before the trip start going to bed late and trying to sleep late, aiming to get closer to falling asleep at 6 am and waking up at 1 pm (obviously work and school will prevent total entrainment for most people!)

I live in the US. When I travel to Europe I start acclimating a week before my trip but waking early and going to bed early. This way I get closer to the goal of being tired at 11 pm, my approximate usual bedtime.

That’s really interesting so will definately investigate that thanks. We fly lunchtime UK going and evening coming back so will have to look at your timing suggestions. Cheers
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@bambionskiis, been to banff 3 times...never bothered to go to norquay

Ok cheers. Don’t apply to join their Tourist Information Board though - I can’t see you comment working for them
snow report
@bambionskiis, lol...it just never appealed. Loved sunshine
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy