Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chase the snow or let it go? Where to go on 4th April.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Great guidance received from previous posts. So we're a family of intermediate skiers and have been used to Feb Half Term (packed out) trips. We self drive and tend to stick to France. In 2020 we'll be going for 4th April and previous advice has been to chase the snow. Complete opposite of what I've been used to having booked near on a year in advance usually - so I'm trying to stay laid back (but with itchy fingers surfing accommodation across the web - research of course!).

As prices are a lot cheaper accommodation wise in April (and fewer numbers), it means we can go higher. To the point that we're now thinking mainly of Paradiski/Espace Killy/3 Valleys (perhaps not Meribel). Not sure about Flaine?

So here's the thing. Do I still wait until much nearer the time (like March?) and hope to expect some level of price droppage/deals in the higher resorts? We're flexible with which resort, would prefer a 2 bed place but happy to take a 1 bed in the right location and prefer next to slopes. I'm think a friend got a good deal with Sunweb in 2019 in Easter Half Term. And it does seem that there is still quite a bit of accommodation out there (Sunweb/tourist info offices of each resort). I just don't have the knowledge of whether prices will come down more and when this might be. If anyone does, or have wise advice I'm open to listening. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kettonskimum, good decision to go Easter instead of Feb half term. Good choice of resorts too, though personally I'd forget Flaine.

There will certainly be late discounts available. Sounds like you want a self catering apartment? However, that week is still a UK school holiday period, though quieter than the following week.
So demand is still moderately high, therefore discounts may not be as big as in, say, early January or mid December.

Trade off between saving but with less chance of getting the accommodation you really want vs pay a bit more now and get the prime location/apartment.
You say you prefer slopeside, which kind of points towards earlier booking, as they're the ones that go first, in April, in high altitude resorts.

My experience is that discounts on hotels and chalets including catering are higher and more worthwhile hanging on for, than discounts on apartments.
What if you got a 30% discount for a late booking? How much money would that be? What proportion of your total budget for the trip is that accommodation saving?

My experience of the Tarentaise resorts is that you'd save more by carefully choosing which bit you stay in and buy most of your food, drinks, etc.
For example, Les Menuires may not be easy on the eye but it's a convenient base, cheaper than other 3V villages, with easy access to high altitude Val Thorens.
Similarly Peisey/Vallandry cheaper than Arcs 1950 but with good lift access to both sides of Paradiski. La Daille cheaper than central Val D'Isere, with great lift links to both sides of Espace Killy.

Hope that helps. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good choice early April, especially before the Easter holidays.

If you are planning to self drive and use self catering accommodation I cannot see much in the way of discounts being available. Nor can I see much need to book early. There will be plenty available.

Choose one of the high tarrentaise resorts and you cannot go far wrong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kettonskimum, I have gone that week or later (coinciding with school holidays) for last 7 years. Generally I book early (much earlier than this), and although I see discounts closer to time of travel, all the nice looking good value places have been fully booked.

Generally it is the overpriced stuff that then gets reduced IMHO.

The exception is TOs, if they have availability left you CAN get a good value package.

As you are self driving, if you see somewhere you like that is in a pretty high resort. Go for it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pick a resort with a base in France above 1800m and snow is all but guaranteed until mid-April.

Fine to book in advance.

Try Val d'Isere, Tignes, Val Thorens, Courchevel 1850, or La Plagne.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Prices will drop closer to the time and you will also have your pick of resorts at that time in my experience.
Book sub two weeks for the best Sunweb deals out of peak season, 30-40% discounts usual.
Always good deals to Belle Plagne which is a good bet at that stage of the season- as are all the places you've mentioned.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We tend to cycle between 3v/TvdI/LesA for the second or third week in April each year and there is always plenty of snow and relatively cheap accommodation to book. It should be easy to find a private 2 bed apartment that is discounted two or three weeks before you travel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A couple of weeks ago we booked a bnb in Ischgl for the week after that.

Looking forward to some nice spring skiing - personally I really like skiing in April and have done so most years.

Quite often the conditions were actually better than early in the season plus less people, longer days and (on average) less faffing with multiple layers. Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to everyone for your comments - invaluable as always. I've actually just found a 3* (40 square meter - 1 bedroom but sleeps all 4) appartment in Tignes Le Lavachet for my week that I can get for 740 Euros. My gut feeling is that it might not get much cheaper than this and I should maybe just go for it???
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kettonskimum, I smog the opinion if you line the look of it, location and price JFDI Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kettonskimum,
Ask here for Tignes advice:-
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148642&start=640

Perhaps let them know which apartment block it is in?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kettonskimum, as others have said worth waiting on TO chalet/Hotel deals but not apartments.

So if you've seen something you like it book it.

Chasing the snow only works if you are flexible on dates and destination. Which doesn't work for families in the main.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy