Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How busy is your ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
@WindOfChange, the week before Christmas, they were turning round the Le Chable gondolas at Medran and a TeleVerbier employee was explaining (unusually in my experience for TeleVerbier in a broad Yorkshire accent ..) to a very frustrated man that he did indeed have to join the back of the queue (which was only just beyond the 6 man entrance, so not unreasonable).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I saw a few other skiers today, so we didn't feel quite so alone

but still seems pretty empty. Straw poll at lunch revealed people had driven down rather than risk being stranded by the SNCF - so maybe a few more cars around.

and a couple of days ago people seemed allergic to powder for some reason at resort X

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, looks nice, which tracks are yours?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne is crowded with queues on all lifts. The Roche De Mio was half an hour but chair lifts typically 10 minutes yesterday. Very annoying to see so many skiers not filling the seats.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jehu wrote:
La Plagne is crowded with queues on all lifts. The Roche De Mio was half an hour but chair lifts typically 10 minutes yesterday. Very annoying to see so many skiers not filling the seats.

This was my limited impression with Roche de Mio last year in the first week of February near lunch time. Worse than Aiguille Rouge.
Is there a good hour to approach Roche de Mio?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jehu wrote:
La Plagne is crowded with queues on all lifts. Very annoying to see so many skiers not filling the seats.

As mentioned in my TR this is a major gripe. The lifties do nothing to ensure people fill them up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
drporat wrote:
Jehu wrote:

This was my limited impression with Roche de Mio last year in the first week of February near lunch time. Worse than Aiguille Rouge.
Is there a good hour to approach Roche de Mio?

Not particularly although mid-morning or peak lunch would be the best bet. However, I've been to the area a lot over the years and virtually never use the Roche De Mio bubble. Better to either take Blanchets and Carella or Arpette, Crozats and Inversens. I am usually coming up from Les Coches so would take Crozats and Inversens from the top of Bijolin.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So busy that I am still in bed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Val Desire,
Quote:

the queue for the Klosters telepherique (dedicated to HRH Charlie) are huge, a good hour

Has HRH installed a Duchy of Cornwall gift shop to pass through? Recordings of investitures and weddings to entertain the queue? snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@oui4ski, @BobInCH, So when it's quiet you get out and join the queue, but when its busy you say put.
Thanks for explaining this.
It seemed pretty arbitrary to my ignorant self, but at least it means I pay attention when I arrive in Medran to avoid ending up back at Le Chable Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We’re looking at les Houches for our ist ski holiday in mid feb this year , is this time and location a good choice for us (mum and dad and a 6 yr old ) ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve7869 wrote:
We’re looking at les Houches for our ist ski holiday in mid feb this year , is this time and location a good choice for us (mum and dad and a 6 yr old ) ?

Welcome to Snowheads.

Les Houches would be OK though there are probably better options and it'd be interesting to know why you selected it.

In terms of busyness, you'd better of going when your school breaks up in late March/early April.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lift Queues have disappeared today Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, When it's busy there are alternative lifts available rather than queuing for Medran-Ruinettes!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, pre-lash started early for tonight? Very Happy
ski holidays
Was reading some reviews about chamonix and les Houches was mentioned, it appeared to be 1 hr drive from Geneva which was attractive etc
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
lift Queues have disappeared today Puzzled

When we finally got out its no so bad as Saturday. Still busy but that is flachau
snow report
oui4ski wrote:
@WindOfChange, When it's busy there are alternative lifts available rather than queuing for Medran-Ruinettes!

Now this will be good to know for the next time. Which ones?
snow conditions
Instead of les Houches where would you recommend ?
snow conditions
@oui4ski, Normally I only go to Verbier when it's quiet ( November & Late April as I live in PdS and ride there during the season), but it would be great to know the inside track on some other options when coming up from Le Chable.
latest report
@Steve7869, les houches is a nice family station, not huge.

You would want accom near the lifts though.
snow report
Steve7869 wrote:

Not saying Les Houches was a bad choice but here are a couple of articles on other options:

https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/blog/archive/ski-resorts-near-geneva-airport

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/ski-central-11-best-ski-resorts-close-to-geneva-1.681844

Not been there myself but I've heard good things about Les Gets.
snow report
Can see some people in the distance I think Puzzled
latest report
@BobinCH, that couloir looks tracked out Wink YOu sure you didn;t wait until the busload went around the corner?
snow conditions
It was his idea Puzzled will need a chiropractor tonight!

latest report
Christmas week in the 3Vs wasn't too bad, although VT had some pretty long queues. This week, however, it is very busy with some of the longest queues that I have seen in Mottaret. It is still great if you get out first thing and some areas, such as Courchevel 1650, are relatively uncongested.
snow report
Les arcs is pretty quiet at the moment. A couple runs we've done today have had only one or two people on them and we have not waited in a lift queue. However the restaurants are packed
snow conditions
Philipp at Central Sport got this snap of the queue for the Männlichen cable car in Wengen this morning.

I have honestly never seen it so busy. Happy days for all the hotels, bars, restaurants & ski schools though. Mrs t_m has all the lessons she wants at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve7869 wrote:

For a quick transfer from Geneva, Flaine is a good option, more suited with a little person in tow as you don't need to ski bus from area to area like Chamonix.
ski holidays
Skrabble wrote:
Steve7869 wrote:

For a quick transfer from Geneva, Flaine is a good option, more suited with a little person in tow as you don't need to ski bus from area to area like Chamonix.

Yeah but he could get accom near the lifts and stay in Les Houches the whole week...
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Skrabble wrote:
Steve7869 wrote:

Yeah but he could get accom near the lifts and stay in Les Houches the whole week...

The question asked was for recommendations for an alternative to Les Houches. Laughing
latest report
As soon as left the bar I was in I realised that I had been premature in my assessment of lift queues. The queue for the peisey lift was huge. At least 10 minutes. I got into the priority queue only to find it was slower than the normal queue. I should have realised that since the queue was partially due to the arrival of a vanoise express and that everyone on it will have priority lift passes.
snow conditions
Skrabble wrote:
Layne wrote:
Skrabble wrote:
Steve7869 wrote:

The question asked was for recommendations for an alternative to Les Houches. Laughing

Indeed.. an alternative to Les Houches not Chamonix. I understand Les Houches is often seen as being one of the constituent parts of the Chamonix area but it is quite distinct and the OP stated Les Houches rather then Cham.

Anyway to the OP, it's a bit low broadly 1000m to 2000m in elevation which may not be an issue in mid-Feb but less good early/late season. It's also on the smaller side. Hence suggesting to look at other options. But at the same token, it could do the job. There isn't a precise right answer here.
snow conditions
Ski hire in les Houches guys where do we go ?
snow report
dode wrote:
@davidof, looks nice, which tracks are yours?

neither, I was skiing over to the left and traversed under these tracks.
latest report
Few signs that some of the hordes are leaving seeing families packing their cars and now a few more parking spots outside apartments and the late afternoon bouchon in the valley is not happening tonight from the looks of things.

That said walking the dogs along the valley never seen it so busy with walkers out making the most of the sunshine, maybe they all not decided to go up the hill too Puzzled

Weather so nice I zonked out on the patio!

Managed to avoid buying lift passes yesterday, more in the ski touring for wallies thread.

ski holidays
Yesterday and today in the Belleville valley have been remarkably good as far as queues are concerned. The st M 1 and express have been running before 9am and we didn’t have to queue at all first thing. Later I the day there have been a few longer ones. Went to VT yesterday and today and thought that the
pistes were relatively quiet for the time of year. we walked straight onto the Grand Fond lift in VT and the pistes in Orelle were not overloaded. We Had a 10-15 mins wait for the Caron cable car today and then took one if the black runs from halfway down- had it pretty much to ourselves.
Earlier in the week we did hit the crowds in Meribel and a Mottaret, but that was mainly in the context of the Plattieres 1 and old 3 lifts being out of action just before lunch.
Compared with this time last year, when the snow cover was more limited, I’d say things are far better.
ski holidays
I saw an alert on Monday that all 2800 car parking spaces at Saas-Fee were full, and you could only enter the resort by bus. At least all the lifts were running and all pistes open.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
The queue for the peisey lift was huge. At least 10 minutes.

If you think that 10 minutes is a huge queue you have been spoilt rolling eyes
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, just the same today, another huge queue at the transarc and 5 minutes at the vagere. I tend to avoid the lifts with even bigger queues such as arcabule, rouge. Knowing your way around a resort certainly helps. To me a 5 minute wait is unacceptable.

I've probably been spoilt since I've stopped going to the resorts with 30 minute + queues: borovets, st Anton etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy