Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ali Ross MBE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ali's Ski Clinic is still alive and kicking at www.alirossskiingclinics.com.
A great course to join out in Tignes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just going through my new Tignes off piste book, and see a picture of his motorhome completely buried in 2018.
I'm old enough to remember the videos as well,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ali and I in Tignes, early 90's.

As you can see I listened attentively to every word, which explains why I'm still crap.... Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 31-12-19 17:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing changes......

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I stopped in Tignes any number of years ago and there were a lot of people in the chalet (Rossett then run by Ski Olympic) doing his course, it all seemed a bit messianic and he was getting everyone to buy the same type of skis, can't remember what though ....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stevew, back in the days when he was based in the Alpaca (it was still a family business then) Salomon had only recently started making skis to go with their bindings. He persuaded me to buy a pair of Salomon 3S - a sort of precursor to a "carving" ski, having a somewhat deeper sidecut than other narrow planks of the time. The second year I skied with him he was on X-Screams with Hangl plates, but I don't think Joe Public could buy them until the next season - which of course I did Madeye-Smiley They were heavy b****s!

At that time he was also sponsored by Phoenix clothing (excellent gear, sadly they are no more and have not risen from the ashes) and Audi.

In the Andrew Neil videos (Ski Perfect 1 and 2, no Diane Abbott as far as I can see) he drove Citroen cars and was on Atomic skis, which he confessed were terrible (the skis, he didn't mention the cars).

I think the earlier video made in the days when Harold Evans was editor of the Sunday Times (How We Learned to Ski) is easier on the eye, mainly because Andrew Neil wasn't in it.....

As for being "messianic", you have to remember that this was the time when the standard of ESF instruction was "bend ze knees" and nobody was told how to actually use their skis.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevew wrote:
I stopped in Tignes any number of years ago and there were a lot of people in the chalet (Rossett then run by Ski Olympic) doing his course, it all seemed a bit messianic and he was getting everyone to buy the same type of skis, can't remember what though ....

Look like Dynastar 201cm straight skis, I guess if you can ski on those you can ski anything.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Yoda, that brings back memories. I was going to say x-Screams but wasn't sure but I think you're right it was before x-screams. Had a hand me down pair from a friend and they were heavy, swapped them for B2's after a season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
His skis look like Salomon S9000E to me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda wrote:
... As for being "messianic", you have to remember that this was the time when the standard of ESF instruction was "bend ze knees" and nobody was told how to actually use their skis.....
Well I read a book written by him where Ross explained how to carve the ski. All I needed to do was read one chapter of that one book and I could leave instructors and their badges behind. I'm no fan of the "honours system", but I owe that bloke a beer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More memories (sorry about the quality Toofy Grin )

http://youtube.com/v/7tE2_xXvXlU
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just picked up this thread. Interesting to me as it was Mr. Ross who really gave my skiing a boost after I was gifted a paid week at his ski school after I'd built a garden wall for the in-laws. I hadn't expected payment, but they were confirmed Ross-ites and gave it as a Christmas present in the late 90s. I was on second-hand Salomon Force 9s - 200cm I think. I did one more week with Ali and at the end I bought his x-Screams with the hangl plate. Yes, they were heavy, but I liked them. Long since sold on. Also have the vids and book and have owned two of the Citroen BX models shown!

Although I've done other courses, such as Warren Smith and Snoworks and have learned new techniques, I still go back to the Ali basics for the first runs of the day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw him this morning as I was going shopping he was setting off with clients in the rain in Tignes. "Just like Glenshee" was his comment Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy