Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the technique for using piste-only skis on thick powder?

Poster: A snowHead
Old Fartbag wrote:

Back in the day, you skied In the Powder, not On the Powder.

This.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, I’m with your Austrian touring mates. It’s all about linked turns and farming. Sorry..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/W_oTu0U8WVQ

http://youtube.com/v/hR7aAfuAOOQ

http://youtube.com/v/me-dfav5wtI
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Back in the day, you skied In the Powder, not On the Powder.

This.....

It used to psych me out, during my first attempts, that I couldn't see my skis. It took a while for me to get the skill and confidence, that with the right movements and weight distribution, the skis would turn under the snow. On one holiday a year, you were lucky if you got the right conditions......so it took a good few years to get half competent.

I still don't ski a lot of Off Piste, so am still only half competent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, “one holiday a year”? How many holidays did you get?

European mid level resorts I’m guessing it’s a question of 6-8 days a season you get 50cms of blower powder, if you get any at all!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, “one holiday a year”? How many holidays did you get?

European mid level resorts I’m guessing it’s a question of 6-8 days a season you get 50cms of blower powder, if you get any at all!

I worked in the Family business, so only ended up taking 2 or 3 weeks per year......two of which were skiing, until the kids were at school and then it was one week's skiing per year.

I have been skiing since 1972.....but it wasn't until the late 80s that I succeeded in making consistent turns Off Piste - finally getting to SCGB Silver standard on straight skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, perhaps I should have been clearer; with only two weeks a year your chances of landing a proper powder day (fresh, fluffy, light, 50+cms) is, IME rather small.

I started skiing in 1970 (aged 4, in Scotland) and even after 3 seasons in Morzine skiing 5-6 full days a week (albeit with clients, who rarely wanted off piste adventures) it was only after a full week of BC heli powder in 2001 that I genuinely got a consistent hang to it - i.e. long descents, long turns, etc.

I could “ski” powder on long skinny skis in 1984, but it was often a little “unpredictable”.

And I really do mean proper powder. Off piste is, in and of itself, often no problem at all to anyone half competent. Crust of course being the notably unpleasant exception.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, perhaps I should have been clearer; with only two weeks a year your chances of landing a proper powder day (fresh, fluffy, light, 50+cms) is, IME rather small.
All too true, unfortunately, which is why trips to BC or Japan are worthwhile (and even those destinations don't guarantee proper powder conditions). Having said that, the best day's powder skiing I've ever had was in Hintertux about three years ago, in the second week of December. It has been very cold for about 10 days (sometimes getting close to -30) and we'd had a couple of decent snowfalls of 20-30cm. We then had one overnight dump of 50cm+ of the most perfect snow. The definition of cold white smoke Happy I was on a training week so skiing on piste performance skis but that was sort of irrelevant as the snow was so benignly perfect, and we abandoned the schedule for the day and lapped without stopping. No epically long descents, but every turn brought a smile as we lapped around a chairlift and a couple of T-bars. The kind of day you remember 20 years later.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

Absolutely correct.

It wasn't until I went to Utah, that I came across it......but even in Europe - timing a good dump of snow, while you were there, didn't/doesn't happen that often (maybe once or twice every 10 years).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Fartbag, ah. Utah. Oh, my, yes.

Although I had a trip there where it hadn’t snowed for 3 weeks before we arrived. But was still awesome. Then it dumped on the Wednesday Madeye-Smiley Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
People always make the mistake of conflating off piste and powder.

People also talk about powder as if it's one thing when in my view it's not.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I quite like this Deb Armstrong clip teaching children to ski in fresh snow
http://youtube.com/v/c2ScKSMGvtc&t=195s
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oui4ski wrote:
I quite like this Deb Armstrong clip teaching children to ski in fresh snow
http://youtube.com/v/c2ScKSMGvtc&t=195s

Excellent.
When Cayman said, "you don't have to make such big a turns"...job done!! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rr wrote:
which is why trips to BC or Japan are worthwhile (and even those destinations don't guarantee proper powder conditions).
A helicopter pretty much guarantees it, albeit not always over short periods, in my experience.

As pointed out, chopped up heavy snow isn't powder. As you can see in Greg's video, there's a skier-pisted base which the skier is supported by. I would ride that on a skinny race board, but I wouldn't pay big bucks to do it.

The Austrians and people taught by them definitely bounce in deep snow. However my guess is that they probably ski the piste like that too.
I reckon that if you can ski or board then you can ski or board deep powder, the technique's pretty much the same.
Jennifer Heil skis bottomless like she skis moguls. I've ridden with various racers off and on, and their technique is again noticeably different.

---
Definitions of powder? ... unconsolidated snow, generally light and dry hence it behaves like "powder". You can't make snowballs out of it.
You'd not call 1cm "powder" - that's "dust". 10cm on a piste is powder, but it quickly becomes crud.
You'd not call "upside down snow" (snow which is heavier on top than underneath) powder, nor wind crust or consolidated snow ("packed powder" isn't powder).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:

The Austrians and people taught by them definitely bounce in deep snow. However my guess is that they probably ski the piste like that too.

It‘s not limited to Austrians.

The above Deb Armstrong clip is from America.

Alltracks, Whistler (Canada)

http://youtube.com/v/evxeJwpcspw
snow conditions
I think DB's description (from first page of thread) is very good.
The tip that has most impact in my experience is "patience" - wait for the platform to build as you flex at the end of the turn before extending and steering the skis through the fall line. You need to wait that little bit longer than you expect. Excessive hip-wiggling is often a function of trying to drive the skis around too early.

The wider the skis and the faster you ski the less patience is needed.

On bouncing, I sometimes find it useful to get a rhythmic bounce going in a straight line at the start of a run as your speed is building. You are sort of getting a feel for the platform that builds and readying yourself for the first turn when you may have a bit less speed than is ideal. Once you are flowing, the up and down motion is an outcome rather than an input.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

I can help you with that, if you like. If you want to pretty well guarantee a good powder day, you just need to know when my ski trips are. Heavy snow falls the day I leave the resort. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy