Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt Resort Review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had never skied in Switzerland before. I know it's got some great resorts but Italy & Austria always look much better value. However with son currently studying for a masters just down the road in Lugano we decided to take the plunge for a few days just before christmas. We flew to Milan (always cheapish flights available even in ski season) and drove from there. We also stopped at an Italian supermarket en route to stock up with food & drink.
Found some great & surprisingly cheap accommodation on Booking.com - a vast 3 bed flat in Goschenen which is 10 minutes drive or 1 train stop from andermatt which worked out at 133 CHF per night for all four of us.
Lift pass - actually not that bad as the two students in our part got a big discount. 117 CHF for them for 3 days, 167 CHF for us.
Ski hire - prebooked it from snowbrainer & not too bad
Lifts - just amazing. Mostly brand new & superfast. No queues at all 21-24 Dec (although the weather was quite bad)
Resort food - very good but expensive - circa 20 CHF for a plate of chili or a pizza, large beer 6 or 6.5 CHF which is cheaper than French ski resorts & comparable with Austria or Italy. Coffee is expensive - 4.5 CHF typically. Bottled water (one place didn't have tap water) is nose bleedingly expensive. We decided not to have water with our coffee as it was 16.5 CHF for a large bottle!
Bars - looked like some quite lively ones although we didn't try them out.
Service & welcome - excellent. Right up there with the best Austria & Italy can offer & generally better than france can manage.
Skiing - plenty for our 3 days. Looks like shed loads of steep & deep off-piste stuff too. But in our 3 days there was so much snow on the pistes you didn't need to leave them (and didn't dare either as the visibility was so poor). When it's all open there'd be plenty of skiing for a week.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 28-12-19 17:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You dodged today's brutal avalanche.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BenTisdall, nice report, thanks. Andermatt is a few hours away from us but we've never been. Must add it to the list.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same, good review, sounds like you had a great time!
The way they price their lift passes is pretty cool, no fixed prices( you can still buy in advance), priced on conditions/demand, last year at points they day passes for 10chf

The model has been a great success apparently
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, interesting that they're using dynamic pricing for lift passes. I'm sure other resorts will follow as it makes a lot of sense.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@alasdair.graham, interesting. Never heard of that before.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BenTisdall wrote:
Ah, interesting that they're using dynamic pricing for lift passes. I'm sure other resorts will follow as it makes a lot of sense.

With children at school for another 6 years, that’s me bankrupt then.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BenTisdall, Yeah, I agree.
I think at some level this happens in a lot of resorts at the moment but not so much with passes sold directly to the public yet
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy