Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Ripstick 106

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Has anyone tested or own the 106 Ripstick? Any views appreciated?

I am looking at the 181cm to replace my Soul 7 HD which I am finding just a little too long (188cm) but looking for something similar as a 50/50 ski.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bennyboy1, not the 106, but have skied the 96. For me, rather too “soft”. Was admittedly on firm, well groomed piste. But rapidly found it’s speed limit.

Probably quite nice in proper powder, not my thing otherwise.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied off-piste and on with 96. I absolutely loved it. Super versatile ski.
Salomon QST 99 has to be worth a look too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@adaptedsilence, which illustrates beautifully how it's a taste thing Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, @adaptedsilence,

Thanks both.

There is also a 116 version but the Moment Wildcat (so much choice) look to get good reviews.

I like light skis. I wouldn’t go heavier than the Soul 7 HD.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 27-12-19 13:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought 96 recently used it on both hard pack and off piste I love them. Great skis. Maybe they feel bit whippy when used to a very solid ski, but I like them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@biddpyat, I am used to heavier more “solid” skis.

A chacun son gout.

There is a “black” version of the 96 which is reputed to be somewhat beefier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a recent Japan trip our guide recommended the 106 Ripsticks to anyone in the group who needed to invest in a wider ski. That was to cope with 'Japow' of course but included some touring and the inevitable on piste stuff.
I didn't use them myself but 3 of the group did and all seemed v happy with their purchase.
Always seem to have decent reviews and reasonably light for touring if that's your thing.
I have updated this year but went for Black Crows Navis Freebirds, 102 underfoot but quite a bit of a weight saving over the ripstick (my 2nd choice) . Only really a consideration if you intend climbing . The BC's seem pretty grippy on hard piste and great for touring . Good balance between width and weight and stiffness imo. Ripsticks are cheaper though !
I would've thought Ripsticks were more powder biased though , certainly at 106. Loads of choice in the all mountain category. Probably to much ! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have the Ripstick 96. Just sublime in powder, the assymetric camber/rocker is brilliant telemarking. And amazing confidence on hard piste, better than my 68mm piste skis - or my old legs are now just too wimpy!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still unconvinced.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied the 96. Way too heavy for proper touring, way to flappy in the tips for fast piste. They probably ski well in powder but frankly, so do my Nordica slalom skis.

Not my thing at all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy