Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to organise next year's group trip - as one friend says, it's like trying to herd cats Shocked Anywhich one of our party is going to be an almost rank beginner (has had a 2-hour private lesson and 2 days on a nursery slope with rope tow, instructor said he's ready now to go onto a (Swiss) blue run supervised). Now the destination may well also be partly determined by numbers as we want to fill a chalet if at all possible. First thought is Courchevel, but if it weren't for the beginner, we'd also look at Zermatt, St Anton or Val D'Isere. Obviously Courchevel is probably the best of these four options but are these last three all totally hopeless for beginners? Thoughts please? TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are your other criteria? None of those are favourites of mine for beginners or more experienced skiers... aj xx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, If it has to be Courchevel, then look at 1650 rather the other "villages" as there a number of wide, gentle cruisers above the village, ideal for beginners or timid skiers - and for other members/better skiers ? then the rest of the trois vallees is only ever a few lifts away..........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Espace Killy (Tignes/VDI) not ideal for beginners. Soldeu? Flaine?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eng_ch, La Plagne should be on your list. Plenty of novice friendly skiing, big mileage for intermediates and some steep drops for adventure seekers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK, I should probably have added a couple of snippets of info - sorry.
1 - we've been going to Courchevel for 5 years so we know it well (have mostly stayed in 1650, once in 1850). We've introduced a fair number of people to skiing there with (to date) universal success.
2 - we used Scott Dunn this year and it went down a treat with everyone so we want to use them again next year. Therefore looking for a resort that they serve. The rationale is that a) it was a real holiday for us all (previously SC) and we felt much more relaxed when we didn't have to lift a finger and b) if our beginner should decide skiing isn't for him after all (doubtful going by the grin on his face on his taster weekend) then it's still a luxury holiday
If we get the numbers right then Courchevel is a relative no-brainer. However, it's not clear at this stage whether the numbers will pan out as we want, hence looking for alternatives. Going by anecdotal evidence, I think I can strike Val D'Isere off the list straight away - especially as we like to be able to ski back to village level
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes the beginner would not be able to ski down to village level as soon as he had "graduated" from the village nursery slopes at VDI
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To clarify further (anyone got a brain de-porridger?), it doesn't matter too much if the beginner can't ski back to village level, but it would be nice if the intermediates (by which I mean those who can get down a red but not necessarily with panache) could
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, Scott Dunn don't come here, but there's a very nice self-catering chalet I know about. Mark Warner have a super hotel here too. You could all ski back to resort via the Demoiselles, but it's not the best of fun at the end of the day. PM me if you want any more info, (or look at my website - lots on there). snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, thanks, I don't think L2A will work for the group next season, but it's definitely on my list if I can talk Mr Eng into some summer skiing, so I may pick your brains about that sometime if I may
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, i'd 2nd that. Of all the european resorts I've been to it had the flattest runs Smile
Les arcs isnt too far away with the combined lift pass which I found more interesting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch,
Of the resorts you have listed I would actually say Val d'I is the best bet after Courchevel. There is actually a fare amount of easy beginner skiing at Vd'I, probably as much as Courchevel though maybe a bit more dispersed, there are also good free nursery slopes at village level for beginners.
I suspect it gets a bad reputation because the piste marking is a little unreliable, the green run down to La Daille is a joke particularly later in the day when busy. If you are a moderately experienced red run skier the resort runs are not particularly difficult, probably easier than St Antons.
The fearless atheletic types will probably enjoy anywhere but if in doubt I would be more inclined to avoid St Anton where there are fewer easy slopes and these are consequently more crowded. I would also avoid Zermatt where the easiest slopes are on the glacier which can get a little cool in poor weather, there are not really any very easy nursery slopes.

If it was not for the beginner I would choose either of the others as they are more pleasant resorts though. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not a popular resort but Valmorel has the highest concentration of green slope. It is the first resort in Tarentaise. Thereafter the next junction is Val Thoren, Meribel/Couchevel next down the road , then La Plagne, then Les Arcs, then La Rosiere with Tignes and Val D at the end because thereafter the road is closed in Winter.

Valmorel la Belle is a very long resort and has the longest green run I know of. SKied there twice and it is a day's work to ski to St Francis and return back to Valmorel. I think it is pretty good for beginners. WIth 152km piste it is decent in size too.

I also second the suggestion of Megeve and Flaine because the Domaine Evasion of Megeve/St. Gervais/Rochebrune has a large easy area near the top of Mont d'Arbois. Morillon is a nice, big and easy area of Grand Massif made up by Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon, Samoens and Sixt.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpe D'Huez seemed a very good area for all skiing levels, to me. Not hot hot Alpine charm, but I rather liked it. Rather more pricey, Lech has a lot to recommend it, if you have the cash. Alpine charm in abundance, excellent groomed slopes for beginners, great skiing for other levels in the Arlberg circuit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Anton is absolutely not suitable for beginners.

Zermatt is a lot better IMO, however it is a bit of a pain in the backside to get up to the nursery slopes in the morning, but other than that, there is plenty of skiing for competent red run skiers. The Scott Dunn apartments in Zermatt are very well located as well.
latest report
The only problem that I can think of in Zermatt is that some of the main apres ski places are situated on the side of blue runs so meeting up with your beginner may be difficult.
snow report
eng_ch, Not quite in the St Anton, Zermatt, Courchevel or Val D'Isere league Laughing , but I had a look around this accomodation as we were staying elsewhere in resort with the same company. Not Scott Dunn but a huge chunk cheaper and a quality company. The resort is superb for beginners and early intermediates. We had some average and some very good skiers with us who all loved the ski areas. No guesses as to the resort Laughing Laughing

http://www.skiolympic.co.uk/larosiere-planicas.html
latest report
Thanks for all the thoughts, folks. The beginner will almost certainly take private lessons, so progress is likely to be more than satisfactory Smile Kramer, thanks for that in particular as Zermatt is my personal second choice.Smile And then only because I'm hoping to have been there once next season already by the time of our group do Wink
snow report
For beginners I'd say that choice of ski school (or personal recommendation for an indivdual instructor) is just an important factor as the range of skiing. One of the reasons I think Courchevel is great for beginners is the choice of Brit-run ski schools there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy