Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski jacket brand?

Poster: A snowHead
If you were to invest a few of hundred pounds for a ski jacket, which brand would you recommend? Everyone is using different insulation and membranes, and it is not clear for me which ones are best
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I think there will many out there that can give you detailed advice given some more info from you to work on. My shorter answer is as follows-

How many is a few hundred? 200- 300 GBP is more than enough for most types of jacket in terms of functionality but Don’t forget the trousers and gloves either... What is the jacket to be used for? I suggest you give it some thought as to the type of skiing you will be doing and if you want the jacket to be useful for other purposes too then do some internet research into the different types available for your purposes, after that all the major brands will become apparent and will no doubt have something to sell you. Good luck.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can afford it, then it is hard to go past arc’teryx or Norrona.

I easily get 400+ ski days from my Arc’teryx gear. Rock solid, great company back-up, and very functional.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of decent jackets out there. Have a look at the material used e.g. preferably Goretex or a similar memebrane material and look at thebreathability and how waterproof it is.

Arc’teryx and Norrona mentioned; Sweet Performance good also, some of the upper-end North Face (some of the latter look very similar but quite different materials according to model).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Norrona - hold their value as well. Treat it well and you'll get 60-70% back on beat when you're done!

I also can't recommend Buffalo Systems highly enough. If you've got one of their mountain shirts; you know!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bober02 wrote:
If you were to invest a few of hundred pounds for a ski jacket, which brand would you recommend? Everyone is using different insulation and membranes, and it is not clear for me which ones are best

I'd go down the lines of Acrtyrex/Norrona/Peak Performance but try and get a sale item at 40%-50% off...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Red is the fastest colour Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've tried on loads of jackets in my time - including on days when I was in one of those "money no object" moods. I have found that comparatively few feel completely right, in terms of fit (especially arm length, and some kind of decent coverage over backside), comfort round the neck area and hood function and removability (hoods and helmets don't mix well, but useful to have a hood for other times). If you decide on a shell and separate mid layer, be sure to try them together. I ordered online a very expensive and beautiful Haglofs shell. It fitted well provided I only had a T shirt underneath! I am slim, with positively skinny arms and weedy shoulders, but there was simply no room for a decent mid layer - I tried on everything available in Cotswold Outdoor (where I had clicked and collected the shell) and it was no use - the armholes were simply too tight.

Be sure to try on a jacket, with all the layers you are likely to need, before you buy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As ever sage counsel from @pam w.

Doesn’t matter what it’s made of, if it doesn’t fit as you want, it’ll be very irritating.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you get the most bangs for buck from a well speced North Face shell, tbh. They're normally 20~30% less pricey than say Arcteryx, just as good , if not better, and don't yell 'I'm trying so hard', if you know what I mean.

Yes, Arcteryx stuff is really good, but it's always horrendously pricey really.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I seem to have settled on Spyder. Very warm and durable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Schoffel get my vote.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Disappointed with marmot goretex 3l (quality) and never really liked my peak performance jacket for some unknown reason but rate very high my norrona gear, just need to loss some weight for a better fit again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got outlet village helly hansen and love it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stio

Designed in Jackson Hole, WY.

Really good quality, not sure if they are available in Europe and they are not the "cheapest" brand out there.
latest report
only outlet or sale, never paid more than £200 for a GTX /membrane jacket, hundreds of amazing jackets to be found, just find your fit depending on your built and favorite colour. i ski in climbing specific jacket and have spare ultra light ski touring down extra layer.
snow conditions
There are loads of good brands out there.
A "few hundred pounds" doesn't help narrow down - big difference between 300 and 600.
You don't say what sort of features you are looking for, what has worked for you in the past.

Not sure you are going to get much out of your question without more detail.
snow report
I bought an Arcteryx beta on Sport Pursuit at 50% off a few years ago and swear by it.

It gets used for skiing, walking, general wet weathering and I take it on the boat when we go ashore and don’t want to wear offshore gear to the pub.
snow report
Spyder or schoffel have been very good brands for me. Depends how much you want it to look good. Reminds me of the oft repeated advice that boot colour is not important, just the fit. This is the biggest load of humbug. You need the right colour AND the right fit. Same with jackets. You can pay as everyone is aware, over £1000 for a jacket. You are then paying for a name, design, colour etc. However if that gives you pleasure to be wearing such a jacket, then that’s fine. Around £500 tops would I think get you all the quality you could possibly buy. You are paying for name and colour after this imo.
latest report
€350 seems to have got me all the quality and features that I require... and I anticipate (hope) it will be used for >60 ski days this year ...
latest report
Paramo. With re-proofing (easily done in the washing machine) they will last years. Only issue is work out how to justify a new jacket. My oldest one is 25 years old, a bit shabby, but still waterproof.
ski holidays
@ski, yep I had one. I think the main thing is not having a ski pass holder on the sleve is a downside.

Apart from that they are good jackets.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, Ski pass holder? As pretty much everywhere now use hands-free cards why would you need one? I put my pass in a chest pocket of my mid layer that won't be opened during the trip, not in my jacket Very Happy
snow conditions
I purchased a Picture jacket last year. Been impressed so far. Stayed dry as a bone.

And they are made from recycled plastic so very green as well.
snow report
@ski, that Paramo stuff looks mighty, mighty fine. Didn't realise it was Nikwax sister company.
snow report
Anyone tried this brand? https://showerspass.co.uk/products/refuge-jacket?variant=42807357839&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh7SYh8TO5gIVFZ3VCh03mwDxEA0YASABEgK3X_D_BwE

Looks to have some interesting features.
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:
I purchased a Picture jacket last year. Been impressed so far. Stayed dry as a bone.

And they are made from recycled plastic so very green as well.

Another Picture fan here. Although I've never tried any of their jackets I've had a pair of their trousers for 5 years or so now and can't fault them.
snow report
Plus one for peak performance, always buy in the sale, check out keller sports and sports pursuit... pays to get Goretex, as more breathable, should be able to buy for 300....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peak does not impress - fashion over performance
snow report
@bober02, you pays your money you takes your choice.

Best to know what you want from a "ski jacket". Some good brands mentioned so far...…………. but are they really what you want?

For a "few hundred quid" I'd be looking at Kjus, Mountain Force, Colmar, and Vist, before splashing out on Arcteryc, Norrona or Salomon.
snow conditions
@ski, I bought.my.first paramo smockn in 1994. It is a very durable bit of kit and super.comfy. don't have it now.

Regarding the ski pass pocket on a sleeve. I've come across many ski lifts where you have to try it 3-4 times to get it to work.

Not a big problem.
latest report
Probably nothing exceeds Kjus. I bought one for €350 from some mail order outfit. Same one which was in the UK shops for 2x that Smile With just one layer underneath, good down to -10C or so. Much more breathable than Goretex.

The downside is that lots of people on social media will take the mickey out of you because it is expensive Smile
snow report
Finding Colmar and Vist might not be so easy... Can you get Kjus that cheap? Always seems wildly overpriced to me.
ski holidays
You can pay 2x as much again in some ski resorts Smile

It is possible the good prices are found only off-season. And definitely not in the UK.

Kjus are really well made jackets. The zips work great and all the detail is just super.

I've been skiing just long enough (over a dozen ski holidays) to realise that it is far better to spend more money on good kit, because you need a lot less of it. For example one of these
https://www.x-bionic.com/en/shop/men/x-bionic-energy-accumulator-4-0-shirt-turtle-neck-lg-sl-men-charcoal-pearl-grey
is all that's needed under a decent ski jacket, for all temperatures down to say -10C, and below that add just one layer of merino wool. Forget the silly stuff they claim for that bionic gear, btw Smile It just works really well thermally and is very comfy. And exactly the same for the legs. So you can ski anywhere with just those items of clothing.
latest report
I got my Dare2be jacket off eBay for £21, kept me dry and plenty warm during the Nordstau in Austria last Jan.

Only time I felt cold was in the -18c plus windchill on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, but that was more parts of face exposed and legs through my £20 Trespass softshell trousers!!

I wouldn't expect it to last with continuous use, but for a week-a-year skier, it'll do me for a few years!! Laughing
latest report
@under a new name, TKMaxx has been selling very decent Colmar and Vist ski kit, jackets and salopettes for well under £200. Ebay has Kjus gear for half price quite regularly. Recently I bought some Phenix ski gear off ebay, listed as "used" but not actually worn, utter bargains that turned out to be brand new. And tacky max frequently turn up some Mountain Force gear (that I think are just as good as Kjus but way better priced). Plenty of high quality jackets etc on the web, just know your brands, and know what you want.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy