Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should i get my replacement liners heat moulded

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One of the liners in my Salomon S/Pro boots ripped after 2 weeks of use this year. The boots were less than 2 years old so still under warranty, and Salomon have agreed to replace the liners under warranty.

I bought and had them fitted at a shop which is approx 1.5hrs drive away from me. The shop will happily ship them to me, or i can go into the shop and have them heat moulded. What i can't work out is how much benefit i'd get from having the new liners heat moulded in boots that have already been fitted to me once.

Snowheads comments or advice would be very welcome in helping me make the decision Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lower, heat molding a liner is really just helping to start the break in/down of the materials, for some people it is really useful, for others it makes little or no difference at all, a lot depends on the fit of the boot in the first place (if the boot is a tight fit then it will help give you a little space for toes etc) once skied in for more than a day or two there is no point heat forming most liners as the skiing has done the work (again other than toe length)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Throw them away and get zipfits is the best advuce
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mother hucker wrote:

also great advice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salomon liners aren't really heat mouldable from experience - I say that even with the latest 4D-fit version. As CEM says, it is time on snow that will do the majority of the moulding.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Sadly I have to disagree with CEM on a matter of bootfitting...and yes, I know that is brave, even foolhardy.

CEM says that is "great advice", it's not

It is The Best Advice!

CEM...you put me in Zipfits and I'll love you forever for it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought Zipfits had gone bust Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
I thought Zipfits had gone bust Puzzled
only in the mind of one individual rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CEM, sorry, couldn’t resist Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all that posted. I’m going to ask the shop to send the liners to me and I’ll try them at home. I can at least compare the fit of the undamaged, moulded liner with the new unmoulded liner. If a day’s skiing is equivalent to heat moulding, it won’t be worth the 3 hr round trip.

No zip fits for me though. They might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I find ski boot’s relatively comfortable and I can’t justify the expense of the zip fits for one week of skiing a year Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lower wrote:
No zip fits for me though. They might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I find ski boot’s relatively comfortable and I can’t justify the expense of the zip fits for one week of skiing a year Sad

That's understandable 1 week a year your liners will last many seasons
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rungsp wrote:
CEM wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Sadly I have to disagree with CEM on a matter of bootfitting...and yes, I know that is brave, even foolhardy.

CEM says that is "great advice", it's not

It is The Best Advice!

CEM...you put me in Zipfits and I'll love you forever for it!

I was wondering about Zipfits. Stock Cork liners in the Speedmachine 130’s are pretty good but after over a season on them think you’ve convinced me now could be the time… More business for Anja snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought new Scott Voodoo NTN boots, exactly the same size etc as previous boots, via www. Original liners had been heat moulded in shop, but I followed "ski in them to mould" regime. After 2 days skiing I had to admit defeat and take into local shop to get them heat moulded. After that, back to perfect.
I guess it could depend on boot brand.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a follow up to my original post, the replacement liners arrived yesterday. They're an exact like for like replacement (4D race liners) so i only swapped out the damaged left liner and didn't swap the undamaged right liner that had been moulded when i bought the boots originally.

Wearing both boots round the kitchen for ~1hr mins last night, i couldn't feel any significant difference between the two. The new liner initially had more volume, but fairly quickly packed down so that i ended up with the same clip settings on both boots as i'd had with the originals.

The shop (Lockwoods) have been very helpful in dealing with the warranty replacement, and have offered to mould the replacement liner at any time in the future if it needs it, but i think its going to be fine. I'm just going to have to wait until Feb next year to try the new liner properly, which feels like a long way away!

Thanks again to everyone that commented.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy