Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France, inter/advanced resort with apres. Which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

For many years we have skied in the Grand Massif (Samoens) in a big group every Easter but we are looking for a new resort. Can anyone suggest a suitable resort that meets the following criteria:

1) Access to a decent size ski area with a good choice of red and black runs.
2) Good snow record for early April
3) Good apres (for the 17-20yr olds in the group)
4) Good choice of self catering accommodation for a group of 10+ people.
5) Reasonably priced and not silly expensive resort
6) Driveable from Calais.

We have looked and the main resorts like the 3 valleys, and Val D'Isere seem very expensive compared to Samoens. Are there any good satellite villages we should look at?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Early April is your big limiting factor, if you want a good chance of decent snow conditions.

La Tania is one option. Just a couple of lively pubs but access to 3 Valleys skiing at lower prices than Courchevel, Meribel.

La Daille is similar for the Val D’Isere / Tignes circuit.

Neither is what I’d call cheap, but a bit less extortionate.

Maybe Nasserein for St Anton?

Difficult ask for somewhere snowsure in April, lively, yet not expensive.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bompey, I'd say for that mix it's worth considering Les Arcs 1800.

It offers alot without being in the higher price range of some alternatives, great skiing (much more convenient than Samöens) staying centrally on the snow, option of travelling across to La Plagne to explore there too. Lively village with much going on. Ski area a big contrast to GM, weve skied both extensively in groups and with family.

Another contender, Val Thoren. Similar in many ways with much to offer but for us Les arcs edges it.

Both are about 70 miles in addition to travel typical of GM area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Tania would be my suggestion. Lots of cheap SC accommodation usually available & as has been said a couple of lively joints ( Ski Lodge, La Taiga & Chrome) with live music most nights.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne also worth thinking about, an abundance of self catering accom and access to a huge variety of slopes. Belle Plagne is at 2050m with a few decent apres options and gondola up/down to Bellecote running til late(1am?)
Sunweb have self catering with lift passes included so worth checking them out for all of the options listed above
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could do worse than here, Les Deux Alpes. Skiing up to 3600m with a large glacier. A good mix of pistes of all colours plus off piste too. Plenty of reasonably priced apartments of all sizes. For France night life is pretty good. Panobar is similar to Folie Douce with DJ and music at 2600m from 3 to 5. Umbrella Bar at the bottom of the pistes is very lively for après early evening. Plenty of bars playing music until 2am then 3 clubs open until 5. Plenty of more sedate bars too for the likes of me. Prices are significantly less than 3V, etc. I've skied here every April since 2007, never much of a problem with the snow. Drive down from Calais is pretty straightforward.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bompey, Portes du Soleil?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Claude B, is the Grotte du Yeti bar still open in L2A?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, it is, I've never been in though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like the restriction of drivable from Calais. Rules out the overseas departments and unless you are prepared to take another ferry Corsica.
Most of the tarrentaise resorts fit the bill with the exception of apres. What sort of apres are you looking for? Bars, dancing venues, live music, lap dancing clubs. One of these options I've never seen in a French ski resort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
You could do worse than here, Les Deux Alpes. Skiing up to 3600m with a large glacier. A good mix of pistes of all colours plus off piste too. Plenty of reasonably priced apartments of all sizes. For France night life is pretty good. Panobar is similar to Folie Douce with DJ and music at 2600m from 3 to 5. Umbrella Bar at the bottom of the pistes is very lively for après early evening. Plenty of bars playing music until 2am then 3 clubs open until 5. Plenty of more sedate bars too for the likes of me. Prices are significantly less than 3V, etc. I've skied here every April since 2007, never much of a problem with the snow. Drive down from Calais is pretty straightforward.

+1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tignes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies so far.
We are usually 3-4 families and are all good skiers. We will be 4-8 in the 17-20 age bracket and 4-8 in the 50-60 bracket. The oldies are happy with a few bottles of wine and each other’s company. The youngsters want atmosphere, drinking, dancing on tables etc (not lap dancing for whoever suggested that). It has to be Easter (well early April due to uni break time and field trips)
Our challenge is that we can usually get a chalet for £2-3000 for a week in Samoens but It looks more like £10k for a chalet in val d’isere.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bompey, Tignes or Val Thorens. Lots of cheap and cheerful flats for rent there at the fag end of the season
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
edited for my stupidity as you stated s/c
latest report
Given that the altitude and topography of GM area is not that extreme, and you've been happy with snow conditions late in the season there...........

Somewhere that offers similar, but critically more in your price range https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1537587a this one appears to offer something of interest.

We've stayed mainly mid march into 3rd week here or finishing the week before academic easter week break, with very good snow. Nearly all of the immediate area is north facing slopes which holds onto snow depths well. Often we've had quite considerable snow fall in March too, some alternatives in the upper Maurienne valley to ski as well especially if you have a car. Very good area to visit with extremely easy driven approach from road and traffic perspective.
ski holidays
Try looking at the peak retreats web site they offer really good value for money, we have been with them many times andnever had a bad place to stay in, La rosiere is good for snow not so sure about night life, val thorens will have plenty of snow then too
snow report
Val d'Isere really does tick every box (mainly 1, 2 and 3) and the apres is way better than Tignes. The younger lot will LOVE the Folie and Cocorico. But if the cost is an issue, Tignes is still great. The whole domain is superb for advanced skiers.

Maybe contact Simply Val d'Isere and see if they can find you anything, they're very helpful.

https://www.simplyvaldisere.com
latest report
Have a look at Sunweb - they definitely have some large self catering apartments in Val Thorens https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/les-trois-vallees/val-thorens/val-thorens/residence-les-balcons-de-val-thorens?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1989-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1989-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=1989-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B3%5D=1989-03-20&Allocation=2&Duration=8&Mealplan=LG&TransportType=SelfDrive&Month=2020-04-01 as I looked into them for a trip as an alt to the family bash.
snow report
With Easter Sunday 2020 being 12th April I'd recommend Tignes.
latest report
1. Val d'Isere
2. St Anton
3. Verbier
snow report
@Whitegold, your geography is terrible. St Anton an verbier are not in france
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy