Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Google Maps - route avoiding Swiss motorways

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know how I can make Google maps plan a route from Geneva airport (French side) to Les Gets so that it avoids the Swiss motorways and the need for a vignette?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go, settings-navigation-avoid tolls. Then switch it off in France.
Your hire might just have a sticker. If it’s 2019 it works until the end of jan.
The non motorway option is as quick as the motorway outside rush hours, and reasonably straightforward.
What’s not so easy is finding your way back to the French sector of the way home.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could download the map and put some waypoints into Google maps from the route it describes. Or just look at the map.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can’t find the settings another way would be to set a destination for the President Wilson Hotel, which is on the lake front, then when you get there set a destination for Gaillard which will take you along the lake front right to the border and the French motorway you want. Finally stick les gets into google maps and you’re done. It will initially be signed to the centre, or lac, then once you’re over the bridges to Annemassie/chamonix.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got to disagree. Outside rush hour, autoroute massively quicker than going through town. 20 mins vs 40 mins or more. Worth the 40 chfs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dw832 wrote:
Anyone know how I can make Google maps plan a route from Geneva airport (French side) to Les Gets so that it avoids the Swiss motorways and the need for a vignette?

An alternative, if it is busy and as I don't like slavishly obeying that dominatrix google maps woman is to go to via Aire la Ville, then la Petite Grave, Perly, St Julien. You'll have to drag the route proposed by Google to aire la ville. Rejoin the autoroute after St Julien en Genevois. This route takes about 30 minutes. I used to take it sometimes driving home from the airport as it doesn't get traffic jams on it and rolls through countryside. If you want to be really clever go to Bardonnex at Perly and rejoin at Archamps.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 24-12-19 10:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You have loads of choices really.
Yon can also avoid French tolls too, by going via St Julien, Etrembieres, then take the road towards La Roche then the LF fork, and picking up the Valle de la griffe at Nangy / Pont de Fillinges. Or go through town, then take Annemasse out through VM to Bonne.
It depends if you want easy to follow, quick, interesting, challenging etc....
Easiest to follow is not the quickest, but out of rush hour completely fool proof.
Either take route de Lac, Route de Meyrin or the road down by the UN / Intercontinental till you hit the lake, follow the lake till you get to the Thonon ring road take exit 1 (Sign posted Morzine - Avoriaz), then follow the road to Morzine and Turn right towards Les Gets when you get to the Foyer de Savoie ( just after Promocash ).
It'll take 1h40 vs 1hr15 the other ways, but it is foolproof.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Viamichelin.com also has a 'avoid toll roads' option and the app is free. I've found it to be as/more reliable than the inbuilt satnav.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160902125650/https://www.gva.ch/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf

Route C
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis wrote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160902125650/https://www.gva.ch/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf

Route C

I think he's going to les Gets.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@altis, I posted a link to a non-archived copy of the map higher up the thread. Route B is a lot shorter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely not route C.

Don't need to avoid Swiss roads without Vignette, just motorways.

Route A fastest.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Route A is quick and easy but requires a vignette.

Route B presents a significant navigational challenge. The route follows many city roads that are usually busy with traffic that knows where it’s going. Be well prepared and, if possible, take a copilot.

Route C is long, distance wise, but free-flowing and easy to navigate.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2867219

@rjs, if you hadn’t obscured your link I would have clicked on it and discovered the same document.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just relax, buy vignette, take the motorway and enjoy your holiday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unless you have a map and a good navigator.
latest report
Many thanks to all for the suggestions. If I'm lucky they'll be a vignette on the hire car, but otherwise will see if I can dodge the Swiss motorways if I can. Don't mind paying for the roads used (as in France), but paying an annual tax for just a few km seems to go against the grain.
latest report
dw832 wrote:
Many thanks to all for the suggestions. If I'm lucky they'll be a vignette on the hire car, but otherwise will see if I can dodge the Swiss motorways if I can. Don't mind paying for the roads used (as in France), but paying an annual tax for just a few km seems to go against the grain.

I agree, 40CHF is a rip-off if you are going to use it on two occasions for a few km, but the Swiss are canny. Not sure if it's true, but I heard they make the French hire companies peel off and bin any vignettes they find on the returned hire cars.

Remember you need to cross into the French-side of the airport to find the car hire desks, I seem to remember it involved lifts to find the right level. The French-side exit is out on the road to Ferney-Voltaire. I drove back into Switzerland, down Route de Ferney to the lakefront, across the Pont de Mont-Blanc near the centre of Geneva, great views of the water jet and didn't have big issues with traffic, maybe I was lucky?? wink
snow conditions
If you are carefull the vignette can be peeled of the screen and sold on ebay !
snow report
I have removed loads of Swiss vignettes. Maybe I'm cack-handed but they've all ended up in loads of bits. Expressly designed NOT to peel off.
snow conditions
It used to be that a vignette could be peeled off with a Stanley blade type paint scraper (much safer than using a bare blade!).
Also, in case someone is tempted to risk a Swiss motorway without a sticker, I was passed in the tunnels to Bardonnex one day by a bike cop who was checking each windscreen as he drove past!
snow report
A blade (stanley) a bit of patience and a will not to loose the value is all it takes . Two broken windscreens and a change of car have proved this.
latest report
brock wrote:
A blade (stanley) a bit of patience and a will not to loose the value is all it takes . Two broken windscreens and a change of car have proved this.

Laughing
ski holidays
30 quid for 5 minutes (each way) of CH motorway driving does indeed seem a bit steep. It's not exactly value for money (IMO).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy