Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried the Nordica Speedmachine 14 boots yet?

Poster: A snowHead
What are they like? I saw a pair in resort and thought they looked the business! Have any of you had a positive feedback from them?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Eng has them and loves them. But that's immaterial - if the last doesn't fit your foot, they'll be no good to you. Go to a shop and try some on Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only tried them on. They feel a lot like a stiffer version of the original Nordica Beast. They have the same last as the Beasts & the Nordica Grand Prix boots in the late 90s. (I've been skiing in Nordica Grand Prix and Beast boots since the mid-90s because of the fit.) I think the Speedmachine 12 would be a better choice for most people because it has a saner flex for most people.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevin mcclean, a little materalistic of you, no? Wink

Actually I owe you a little thank you. I won a bottle of whisky the other night in a quiz, the tie braker question was which city was Karl Marx buried in? I'll never forget an informative thread back on SCGB, who knows what it was about but the answer came up in one of your posts. Thank you. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rio, No, the last is not the same as either the Beast or the Grand Prix and the Beast and the Grand Prix are not the same, however the boots are fantastic by all other accounts. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Smallzookeeper -

I disagree. Around 95/96 Nordica changed the last of the Grand Prixs. They made the forefoot wider. This pissed off all my racing friends who had used Nordica racing boots for decades and believed a true racing boot needed to cut off all circulation to the toes to be good. They all switched to Rossi boots.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rio, The Grand Prix is one shape, the Beast another and the Speed Machine another!. Completley differenet lasts, designers and plastics. No question, sorry mate. Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rio wrote:
I've only tried them on. They feel a lot like a stiffer version of the original Nordica Beast. They have the same last as the Beasts & the Nordica Grand Prix boots in the late 90s. (I've been skiing in Nordica Grand Prix and Beast boots since the mid-90s because of the fit.) I think the Speedmachine 12 would be a better choice for most people because it has a saner flex for most people.

Did you Write this? It's wrong. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor, isn't he buried near Hampstead Heath?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Highgate cemetery I believe
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch, there was something in the back of my mind about Arsenal, but I couldn't remember what - you're right.

(and aren't there a couple of other famous people buried there too?)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes. Don't ask me who, though Wink But not Jim Morrisson - he's in Paris IIRC
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch...
I resorted to google, and found the Highgate Cemetary website

"There are known to be at least 850 notable people buried at Highgate, about two thirds of whom appear in the Dictionary of National Biography and most of the others in either Modern English Biography, Who Was Who, in the obituary notices in the Press, or in Graves "Dictionary of Exhibitors at the Royal Academy 1796-1906". Amongst these are 18 Royal Academicians, 6 Lord Mayors of London, 48 Fellows of the Royal Society, the founders of London businesses including Maples, Foyles, Negretti-Zambra, John Lobb, P&O, and Quaritch, and familiar names such as Faraday, Karl Marx, George Eliot, Radclyffe Hall, Carl Rosa and Sir Ralph Richardson."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I decided it was too sad to resort to Google and that ignorance was bliss NehNeh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch, it wasn't sad at all, in fact I was glad I did, because I'm not buried there, so it's just possible that I'm still alive...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
eng_ch, it wasn't sad at all, in fact I was glad I did, because I'm not buried there, so it's just possible that I'm still alive...

Good point, well made. They don't have a full list of "residents" though, so are you sure?! Wink
snow conditions
eng_ch, I don't wear a watch, so I can't even quote misquote Karl - either I'm dead or my watch has stopped...
latest report
Damn, you got me on Google in the end anyway Evil or Very Mad Well played! I'm not worthy! Twisted Evil

This one?

Quote:
We should not say that one man's hour is worth another man's hour, but rather that one man during an hour is worth just as much as another man during an hour. Time is everything, man is nothing: he is at the most time's carcass.
Karl Marx
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, have you hijacked this thread by chance with your nonsensical witterings!? soon you shall need to be renamed "Where The Fox Shat" Laughing
snow report
eng_ch, close, he said it when taking Harpo's pulse: Either he is dead or my watch has stopped" Laughing
snow report
Hook, line, sinker, copy of the Angling Times... [need head-banging smiley]
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Hook, line, sinker, copy of the Angling Times... [need head-banging smiley]

Sorry. Laughing Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Sorry. Laughing Laughing

Liar Razz Laughing
latest report
eng_ch, no, I'd be lying if I said I had tried the Nordica Speedmachine 14 boots.

(and all of a sudden, with one masterful stroke, he brings the thread back to the topic... Laughing )
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Damn, you got me on Google in the end anyway Evil or Very Mad Well played! I'm not worthy! Twisted Evil

This one?

Quote:
We should not say that one man's hour is worth another man's hour, but rather that one man during an hour is worth just as much as another man during an hour. Time is everything, man is nothing: he is at the most time's carcass.
Karl Marx

Karl Marx? I thought it was a plumber to a lawyer when it came to settling the bill.
snow conditions
Smallzookeeper -

We need to settle this like gentlemen. I'll meet you tomorrow at the top of Liberty Bowl at Big Sky. First one to the bottom wins. We can have Ursula judge the duel......you can ask WTFH who Ursula is if you're not familiar with her. I'll be in the red Nordica Beast boots.
snow report
Rio, Kop-out. The Forum is a powerful media, don't post falsehood, you damage both the skier and the manufacturer. I've been working with the fore-mentioned company for a while, you lied, plain and simple. You wana ski? How does that resolve the fact that you've mislead SNOWHEADS? Razz
P.s. I'll be wearing the Aggressor, you know what it is? Probably the same last as all the boots you've mentioned? NehNeh
snow report
Rio, afraid to say the SZK is correct, there may well be some similarities between a few of the models but they are most definately different. i have not looked very closely at the new speedmachine, but from what i can remember being told by their tech guy in the UK they have squared and raised the toe box slightly from that of the Beast, and narrowed the heel (i may be thinking of a different boot, but the heel is meant to be that of the dobermann 130), bound to be some more tweaks but sufice to say they are different.

back to the original post ...are they any good? well if they fit your feet and ability then yes Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SZK -

This is interesting. A couple shop owners I know claimed the foot molds used in the lower boot (e.g. the last) were kept the same between the three models. I didn't notice much difference in fit when moving from my Grand Prix to the Beasts. Personally, I wouldn't mind the change mentioned by CEM since I have a narrow heel.

As for the challenge, its a lesson I learned from my president. If you are wrong or questioned create a sideshow (preferably a macho one).
ski holidays
Rio, I love the logic. Your bloke says the last is the same, the footmen say it isn't, solution: invade Iran. Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the erudition on both Nordica and Marx! I suppose if you want to link the two we could always have a discourse on that famous Italian Marxist, Antonio Gramsci who, in his prison notebooks, wrote somewhat euphemistically on the nature of bourgeois hegemony.

I'm gonna try those boots on by the way and then go clubbin' to see if I'm a big hit with the girls......
latest report
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the erudition on both Nordica and Marx!

I skied both Lenin and Marx while in my Nordica Beast boots yesterday. Due to the poor light we didn't bother with Castro's Elbow, though.
snow conditions
Boringly returning to the original thread temporarily - I had a pair of Nordica Grand Prix in lime and lemon (?) which I wore 'til the sole wore through (6 seasons - full seasons mind) and then bit the bullet and bought a pair of Speedmachine 14 off the internet from Backcountryoutlet.com for $500 inc shipping which seemed good value. I bought the same size as my GPs and they fitted like a glove from the off and I love them. Stiff as a board - in fact normally undone until it gets insane or through gates - and with a natty lace affair to assist the fit of the inner boot. Love 'em...
snow conditions
Powderhound, nooooooo! I don't believe it!!! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy