Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina early March?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I have never skied in Italy before and have managed to persuade my non-skiing partner to join me for a ski trip with our will be 9 month old son and 2 year 10 month old daughter in the first week in March 2020.

What I would like is maybe 4 hours on the slopes each day and the rest of the time to go site- seeing with with the others.

I realise you can't predict the weather but do you think I would get enough snow to ski without it being too bleak for the others if we went then? I want us all to have a great time.

Is there a better time or place to go which offers skiing for me and something for the non-skiers? My partner likes castles and interesting places.

Thanks all

Natalie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 1st week in March is the perfect time to go - bearing in mind of course that the weather can never be guaranteed.

Will you have a car?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your partner is to have an equally good holiday I think 4 hours skiing each day is rather ambitious, with two such young kids. Maybe, if you have 6 days there, have three days skiing and three days sightseeing? You'll need a car, really, to make the best of it. Corrina an interesting town but big and urban and trafficky. Not a lot for littlies, I'd have thought.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A trafficky place wouldn't be great. We won't have a car.
Where would you recommend? Somewhere that is good to explore on foot would be better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NatalieC, if you can afford to go to Switzerland, I would recommend Wengen. It's car-free, it's in the middle of the Jungfrau domain, and there are loads of lovely places to explore using trains. Furthermore it's easy for skiers and non-skiers to meet at lovely mountain restaurants.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
@NatalieC, if you can afford to go to Switzerland, I would recommend Wengen. It's car-free, it's in the middle of the Jungfrau domain, and there are loads of lovely places to explore using trains. Furthermore it's easy for skiers and non-skiers to meet at lovely mountain restaurants.

Thanks Hurtle. I will definitely investigate Wengen.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NatalieC wrote:
A trafficky place wouldn't be great. We won't have a car.
Where would you recommend? Somewhere that is good to explore on foot would be better.

The whole of Cortina town centre is pedestrianised and has lots of interesting shops, all the well-known Italian designer labels have a showcase there, lots of ambience/atmosphere esp during the evening passegiata.

Not a bad choice for non-skiers, though it's going to be tough on your partner spending many hours without you.

I reckon you would need a car though as the Cortina ski areas are set apart. How are you going to get there, if not?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
reckon you would need a car though as the Cortina ski areas are set apart. How are you going to get there, if not?

There's a Bus between the 2 main areas.

Cortina Express direct from Venice airport I believe. I'm quite tempted by a quickie myself.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NatalieC, If Wengen/Murren within budget, do it. Not been myself (YET!), but Very nice by all accounts!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:
reckon you would need a car though as the Cortina ski areas are set apart. How are you going to get there, if not?

There's a Bus between the 2 main areas.

Cortina Express direct from Venice airport I believe. I'm quite tempted by a quickie myself.

I guess there are bus options, as long as they coincide with your flights.

I rented a car from VCE when I went there, enabled me to stay in San Vito di Cadore where the hotels & ski hire are a whole lot cheaper than Cortina itself, drove up to Rio Gere to do the Cristallo area and up to Lake Misurina, also up to 5 Torri/Hidden Valley. Also did a daytrip north to Vierschach in South Tyrol to the very worthwhile 3Zinnen area.

I guess there probably are skibus options linking the areas, just quicker and easier with a car...and you can't miss it, like a bus! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cortina is one of the very few proper town.ski resorts. The is a lot to do for the none skier...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
March is the best month for European skiing.

Sunny and cold enough.

Cortina town is much bigger than Wengen and has more to do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all.
We could hire a car but I don't like the idea of my partner driving abroad with the children who could be full on crying which is really distracting.

The package I found in the travel agent included s transfer to the resort.

Merry Christmas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are less loads of expensive shops in Corrina and opportunities to complete your collection of interesting art works but not a lot for a baby and a toddler. Depends what you want to do.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
There are less loads of expensive shops in Corrina and opportunities to complete your collection of interesting art works but not a lot for a baby and a toddler. Depends what you want to do.

True, I guess that's where the money is if you are a shopkeeper in Cortina. There is the posh Co-op department store which sells everything, literally!!

Which ski resort is set up for babies & toddlers? Not their target market unfortunately!

Unless you leave them in a creche, one parent is going to have to look after them...or do as the Italians do and bring Granny along as babysitter!! wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 25-12-19 15:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
NatalieC wrote:
Thanks all.
We could hire a car but I don't like the idea of my partner driving abroad with the children who could be full on crying which is really distracting.

The package I found in the travel agent included s transfer to the resort.

Merry Christmas.

OK, so transfers are sorted, no worries there.

If the hotel is near the town centre and Faloria cablecar, you don't need a car...just thought it would give your partner something else to do while you're skiing, but no good if the kids are gonna give him hell! My kids always fell asleep as soon as you strapped them in the car.

The Parc Victoria was run by a UK tour op, that was a good location, close walking distance to town & Faloria lift.

There is the frequent skibus service to the Tofana lifts and less regular up to Cinque Torri & Misurina, if you've got more time and feeling more adventurous.

https://www.serviziampezzo.it/urban-bus/?lang=en

https://dolomitibus.it/it/linee-stagionali-invernali
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy