Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara - tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're heading to the Dolomites for the first time just after New Year (very excited!) and we're going to be based in Corvara. As first timers to the resort and region I want to tap into the collective Snowheads' wisdom...

Our hotel is a little out of town but right next to the Pralongia chair. What's the best way into town for things like restaurants/ picking up skis? Is it likely to be walkable?

Ski hire - any recommendations or places to avoid?

As nervous intermediates (5th week skiers) we're planning to get some private lessons. I know there's the big school in Corvara but we like to go with individual instructors or smaller companies where we can. Are there any good instructors/ schools like that in Corvara or is the big school the only game in town?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions in due course. I'm off to try and do some work instead of looking obsessively at the webcams...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My only input is that Biraria L'Murin is brilliant for Apres Ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never stayed in Corvara, but the Pralongia chair is a long way out of the village. must be at least 2K, so a long walk and uphill on the return!
Taxi maybe the only option.. (but some hotels do have a mini bus)

Picking up skis -- found this on TripAdvisor

"..The ski hire shop came and collected people wanting to hire kit, and they came and picked up the skis at the end, so it wasn't a problem.."
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We'll also be there in early January so like you I've been a bit obsessed with webcams. It's looking so good for a perfect start to the season.

I think the main hotel out that way is the Planac which is is ski-in, ski-out and great for access to the slopes and but it is something like a 1.5 - 2.0 mile walk by road to the center of Corvara. You'd be walking on the road as well as it will have snow piled up the sides so I really think some form of transport would be best. The hotel should be able to book you a taxi if you don't have a car. We did take a taxi to there from Corvara one year to go to the Rifugio Marmotta for an evening meal and I think it was something like 12-14 euro each way.

We've always just hired skis from the Corvara Ski School as it's been close to where we stay and we love the convenience of their ski lockers.

We've also used the Corvara ski school for group and private lessons and been happy with the level of teaching and standards. I think there are some individuals offering lessons and guiding but have never used them. You'll find some here https://www.checkyeti.com/en/winter/italy/corvara/ski-schools-private-ski-lessons
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Olderscot is right, you'll be a fair distance from the town - the way there is downhill, but I wouldn't fancy the walk back! Infact you're probably equidistance to Arabba.

With regards your nervousness, you really don't need to be - that area is fantastic for people like you. There are bags and bags of easy blues with the odd red here and there. Stay away from the South side of Arabba as most slopes there are steep. The main Corvara area over to Armentarola will be great for you and also out of Corvara up towards Colfosco and Passo Gardena. If you can get there, Civetta and Falzarego are fantastic too for intermediates. I'm sure you will be able to do the Sellaronda or Hidden valley.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Infact you're probably equidistance to Arabba.

Not quite. You are probably equidistant to the Campolongo Pass which would be more or less half way between Corvara and Arabba. Don't even think about walking to Arabba.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Trwoodward, with the ski schools in the region you can normally book a private instructor for a small group. But depends on availability. I think there are one or two different ski schools in the area but not many others that I know of.

You will have fun!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. @olderscot - yes, we're staying at Hotel Planac. Walking on the road doesn't sound fun, so it sounds like it'll need to be a taxi if we want a night in Corvara, but that's fine. The ski-hire worries me a little more but if the TripAdvisor review that @allbob found is right about a hire shop picking up and dropping off then that would be fantastic - I'll get in touch with the hotel to see if it's still something that they arrange.

And thanks for the tips about ski instructors - we'll have a look at our options.

Less than a month till we'll be there now, very excited Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Trwoodward, Are you travelling with CrystalSki? -- If so, you could try ringing their customer services to see if they know which ski hire shop they use.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Worth reading other historic threads on here for other inspiration if you have not done so already.
For example
Corvara - long, easy blue slopes access
TR San Cassiano and Venice 17/2-27/2 (long and with photos)
Alta Badia Trip report Saturday 26th January to Saturday 2nd February

See also
https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/ski-holidays-dolomites/freelance-ski-instructors-alta-badia.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got back from our 3rd visit to Corvara. Highly recommend dinner at Fornella one night. Great atmosphere, friendly people, delicious food. You sometimes need to wait for a table but you can have a drink while you wait and the service is very quick so tables do get turned around fairly quickly.

We’ve hired from the shop at the bottom of the Col Alt lift twice now - the guys in there are great. My daughter found her boots uncomfortable this time and needed to go up to an adult’s boot, which was all done at no extra cost.

Our son has had lessons with the main ski school there and has really enjoyed them. He’s only had group lessons, not private, but the group ones don’t start till 10am which we’ve found is much more civilised than the places we’ve been to previously. His instructors have always been good, and he’s never been in a group of more than 5 children.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy